First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
so obvious question. I saw that it is screwed in. I do not have toddlers. At fist I was thinking maybe this would be good for grocery shopping but not sure. If you unscrew it is it going to ugly with holes everywhere???
It seems to be held by 2 or 4 fasteners. Probably 4.

If I recall correctly, during the Q&A, Lisa Teed responded that the dividers are installed into the vehicle at the factory and if a customer decides to remove them, it is that customer's decision and not Ford's. In other words, somewhat like removing the tag from a mattress. (Liability.)

We've seen several pictures at road show events where they've already been removed and the holes do not look bad. But if you experience otherwise, you would simply replace the fasteners into their holes.
Sponsored

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Unfortunately, the language seems pretty clear (at least to me). NJ says the MSRP, as set by the manufacturer, must be below $55,000. When looking at the sample Windows sticker recently provided by trutolife27, the MSRP of EXACTLY what I ordered is $55,800

1605817255587.png
The MSRP is for the vehicle, shipping and handling are separate in my mind. I have no problem claiming the credit as laws rely on "Intent and Spirit" of the legislature. It seems the intent is the vehicle itself in regards to the credit cap. Especially noting taxes and registration are excluded. You obviously can't get the vehicle without tax and registration, nor without Destination and shipping, but they are not the Vehicles price, but added separately. Again, for me, not everybody may agree and I would be able to present that argument if audited.

Last edited:

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
The MSRP is for the vehicle, shipping and handling are separate in my mine. I have know problem claiming the credit as laws rely on "Intent and Spirit" of the legislature. It seems the intent is the vehicle itself in regards to the credit cap. Especially noting taxes and registration are excluded. You obviously can't get the vehicle without tax and registration, nor without Destination and shipping, but they are not the Vehicles price, but added separately. Again, for me, not everybody may agree, but I would be able to present that argument if audited.
I think you're misunderstanding the what I'm talking about. It is a NJ rebate of $5,000 for the purchase of a vehicle with an MSRP, as set by the manufacturer, that is below $55,000. You fill out a form, add supporting documentation, send it in and they send you a $5,000 check.

My concern is that, if my windows sticker looks like the one shown, they may reject my application for being over the limit. This is a cash rebate - there's nothing to 'audit', as this is NOT the same as the $7,500 Fed tax 'credit'.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I think you're misunderstanding the what I'm talking about. It is a NJ rebate of $5,000 for the purchase of a vehicle with an MSRP, as set by the manufacturer, that is below $55,000. You fill out a form, add supporting documentation, send it in and they send you a $5,000 check.

My concern is that, if my windows sticker looks like the one shown, they may reject my application for being over the limit. This is a cash rebate - there's nothing to 'audit', as this is NOT the same as the $7,500 Fed tax 'credit'.
I contacted them and this is their response. I don't think we will have any issues.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your interest in the Charge Up New Jersey Incentive. As of right now those vehicles listed on the website are the only approved, qualifying vehicles. I will forward this information to the rest of my team for review. In the meantime, you can check back periodically to see if there have been any additions to the list of eligible vehicles.

As for the MSRP, this does not include destination fees or document fees, just the final MSRP of the vehicle.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else."

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just heads up. They worked yesterday and working today to stay on pace at the Cuautitian ford plant.
Trucks and Rail systems have started to arrive. It's crunch time down there.
So does this mean they will be shipping directly out of Cuautitlan by rail again? That seems like really good news to me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It seems to be held by 2 or 4 fasteners. Probably 4.

If I recall correctly, during the Q&A, Lisa Teed responded that the dividers are installed into the vehicle at the factory and if a customer decides to remove them, it is that customer's decision and not Ford's. In other words, somewhat like removing the tag from a mattress. (Liability.)

We've seen several pictures at road show events where they've already been removed and the holes do not look bad. But if you experience otherwise, you would simply replace the fasteners into their holes.
4 fasteners. 2 on the back wall, 2 on the bottom (at least in the versions we've seen).

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
So does this mean they will be shipping directly out of Cuautitlan by rail again? That seems like really good news to me.
I don't know yet, I asked the same question to my friend and he is trying to figure it out. I know they are really worried about covid right now. It's getting pretty bad in Mexico right now. No one wants to hear it I know.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
That‘s the million dollar question, and nobody here can answer that. All we know is that it has something to do with safety regulations. Ford’s current plan is to enable it later with an OTA update, but that’s not garaunteed.
They designed the hardware because they thought they were in compliance with regs. Recently they became aware they might not be in compliance. They are going through with installing the hardware because they believe they can offer electronic opening within the regulations but until they are 100% certain they have disabled the hardware.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
so obvious question. I saw that it is screwed in. I do not have toddlers. At fist I was thinking maybe this would be good for grocery shopping but not sure. If you unscrew it is it going to ugly with holes everywhere???
I thought about groceries as well. Thought more and realized that I park front end in both at the store and in the garage, so accessing it would not be very convenient at either end. I'll use it for storage or on trips.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I don't know yet, I asked the same question to my friend and he is trying to figure it out. I know they are really worried about covid right now. It's getting pretty bad in Mexico right now. No one wants to hear it I know.
More than not wanting to hear it, no one wants to get it, especially since vaccines are so near. The numbers where I am are relatively good when compared to other places in the US, but scary on their own. The cases are disproportionally near the border.

Definitely better to delay production than to have people very sick or even die.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I thought about groceries as well. Thought more and realized that I park front end in both at the store and in the garage, so accessing it would not be very convenient at either end. I'll use it for storage or on trips.
No latch to release at the front so you can raise it from the side.

Flydivesurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER, Model X
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You guys are talking like Ford has a choice and purposely trying to just screw 'you'. Base on what's been said, its most likely some government regulation that is forcing Ford to jump thru hoops. Either the rules changed or the development team misunderstood the rules. Either way they were forced to add the divider and disable the remote frunk control. No point trying to argue common sense since its not like you are going to convince the big brother to see your point of view.
Maybe the latter, sort of. More likely a different approach to the regulations than past practice though. I've yet to find any regulatory changes of a recent nature relating to trunks. That doesn't mean they're not there, it just means I haven't seen them. I'm not part of Ford's regulatory compliance team, so it's not my job to stay on top of such things. I just did a cursory search of proposed rule changes and that's it.

Consider the 2021 Porsche Boxster. Large front trunk, a bit larger than the undivided MME. The Boxster has no divider and two methods of entry: the interior release (similar though not identical to the MME) and the keyfob release (also similar but not identical). Both the MME and the 718 are subject to the same safety regulations. Subject to the same child trapped inside rules. The only difference I can see is that on the Boxster, you pull once (or press the button once) then use the mechanical release under the front trunk lid. If I had to bet, the issue is with the way the Ford system does the second release and how that interconnects with the emergency release. Fortunately, despite my location on this rock (or perhaps because of it), I'm not a betting person. So I actually don't have to bet.

My only concern with the divider is if the cars do come with it and we remove them, just how ugly will the frunk liner look? Are they self-tapping screws that leave ugly scars around the holes in the liner? Are they nicely made openings for pins or Torx screws? If we leave the dividers in, that's not an issue. If you were planning on using the frunk for something larger than a tall, narrow bottle washer fluid, it might very well make that all wasted space.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag

Actually, they are trying to get it setup as a refund to the dealer so that the 5K comes directly off the purchase price.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My disappointment with the frunk is not the divider, but the disabled electronic release (fob and screen). The power liftgate will just be much easier. Even if they later enable the buttons.

But if I did decide to use the frunk for groceries, the divider looks about the perfect size to me for standard plastic grocery bags. (Locations where they're outlawed may be out of luck though.)
Sponsored