TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don’t you think it’s a little strange that they had the forethought to scrap the compliance car design. At the same time they didn’t bet on themselves enough to secure 2 assembly lines with LG Chem?
It was only a few years ago that batteries got good enough to enable all this. And it takes some time to be proven in real-world use. That's always been the key -- when batteries would get good enough, and then be able to be mass produced in quantities needed.

I think everyone could see that BEVs were coming as a major segment of motor vehicle production, but no one knew for sure when. Many predicted it way too soon and the batteries fell short (only enabling vehicles like Leaf's that had a niche but were way short of major transformation).

IMO Ford played the timing perfectly. They started the compliance car in 2017 and switched it to a "real" competitor (Mach-E) in 2018. That's about the time that Tesla (and a few others) proved the batteries had gotten good enough to really start making mainstream BEVs.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
At this point, range is pretty big deal for most. It's not the same as a low mileage car vs a high mileage car. Not when a gas stop pretty much anywhere can be made in 5 minutes. Ubiquitous super fast EV charging has a long way to go. Then when it does happen, even a 15 minute charge could clog up the stations if there are EV's everywhere and not enough stations. It will probably get worked out eventually. For now, I'm thankful I can level 2 charge at home at least.

Reactions: ARK

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For now, I'm thankful I can level 2 charge at home at least.
Sure, but that's the primary use case for a BEV: charging at home >90% of the time. If you can't charge at home and have to charge on the road all the time, then a BEV isn't the right tool for the job. Just as a hammer makes a poor substitute for a pair of pliers, at the current time a BEV cannot replace every use case of an ICE.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
yeah I think batteries are probably the main hinderance. I remember they talked about using the same batteries for both the MME and the Transit. They essentially were able to reduce the cost of the batteries by using a full production line output at LG Chem in Poland.

Don’t you think it’s a little strange that they had the forethought to scrap the compliance car design. At the same time they didn’t bet on themselves enough to secure 2 assembly lines with LG Chem?
From what I have read the transit is a smash hit for its fleet market. So much so they are spending the time and money to create fleet management software for it. There are a ton of companies looking to “go green” with their delivery vehicles. At least outside looking in, it would appear the e-transit will be a smash hit as well.

2 lines at full capacity would seem to be totally relevant. I know hindsight is always 20-20, there are so many factors to weigh and I am definitely over simplifying them. Not to mention the fact that times have changed rapidly and the market for these are substantially more than I am sure anyone anticipated.

But to me, it just seems like they knew the e-transit demand, as well as the fact compliance car plans were out the window. But didn’t bet enough on themselves to secure the supply.

I hope they are not making the same mistake with eF150. They are making some really exciting vehicles now. They have done an incredible job making the right vehicles for the markets they are in. I just wish they could take better advantage of it.

Also one major factor I glanced over was the impact of the pandemic, which is definitely little thing. Just really excited to see all that Ford has done. The future looks so bright for Ford.
I really think Ford is somewhat split personality on BEVs. On the one hand, they're clearly spending a lot of money to develop BEV products - but on the other they're not expecting those BEV products to *sell* - not partnering for their own cell capacity, not investing in a second line with LG, etc. etc. It's like their product teams and their corporate strategy teams are not aligned.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Huh? It's a unibody car. The battery can't be "in place" unless it's bolted to the body, that's its place. The battery just bolts up from the bottom to the complete welded and painted body, just like the engine bolts up from the bottom to the complete welded and painted body on a Bronco Sport, Escape, etc. Battery adds crash structure, but the car isn't gonna fall apart without it installed.
I wasn't suggesting the car would fall apart without it, rather quite the contrary. Some manufacturers add torsional strength to the overall vehicle by adding cross members to support the battery. We'll have to see if Ford did this or not because it does also add weight.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
So, I suppose no one heard the bad news about Martinrea, and the potential two-week delay in MME production? If any Martinrea insiders are around, some comments from you would be appreciated right about the time everyone with a build date in the next couple of weeks starts panicing.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
So, I suppose no one heard the bad news about Martinrea, and the potential two-week delay in MME production? If any Martinrea insiders are around, some comments from you would be appreciated right about the time everyone with a build date in the next couple of weeks starts panicing.
Supplier shutdown?

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I found our cars, I think they are going to take a while. I understand now why it takes so long.
Seriously can we take away the person in the red car's license? Find a different route, don't either hold up the car behind you because you want to wait on the train, and don't make the train stop to let you turn. That car had plenty of time to either make the turn safely ahead of the train or find an alternate route.

It goes without saying that someone or several someones should be fired and finding new lines of work for designing a working rail line to share the same space as a street running through what looks like downtown. To their credit, at least the train track run on the right side of the road. That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
yeah I think batteries are probably the main hinderance. I remember they talked about using the same batteries for both the MME and the Transit. They essentially were able to reduce the cost of the batteries by using a full production line output at LG Chem in Poland.

From what I have read the transit is a smash hit for its fleet market. So much so they are spending the time and money to create fleet management software for it. There are a ton of companies looking to “go green” with their delivery vehicles. At least outside looking in, it would appear the e-transit will be a smash hit as well.

2 lines at full capacity would seem to be totally relevant. I know hindsight is always 20-20, there are so many factors to weigh and I am definitely over simplifying them. Not to mention the fact that times have changed rapidly and the market for these are substantially more than I am sure anyone anticipated.

But to me, it just seems like they knew the e-transit demand, as well as the fact compliance car plans were out the window. But didn’t bet enough on themselves to secure the supply.

I hope they are not making the same mistake with eF150. They are making some really exciting vehicles now. They have done an incredible job making the right vehicles for the markets they are in. I just wish they could take better advantage of it.

Also one major factor I glanced over was the impact of the pandemic, which is definitely little thing. Just really excited to see all that Ford has done. The future looks so bright for Ford.
There may not have been available capacity at that LG factory in Poland. VW,GM, Hyundai, Renault and Jaguar are getting their batteries from there too. The factory is currently undergoing expansion, and the capacity is going to be quadrupled by the end of 2022.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Hmm any more details? Is this also why build dates last week are not getting updated because that also are delayed?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are they doing extensive testing of each vehicle after mfg? Is that what takes so long to ship?
Sponsored