What features / items would you pay monthly fee for?

What items would you pay for monthly/annually? Assume NONE of these are available without a fee.

• Total voters

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
This is an 👿 evil post. Don’t give FOMOCO any ideas. Let them keep coming up with their own nonsense, like chilled shrimp in the Frunk

Jes sayin. How much would they charge to give you a car that doesn’t strand you in the middle of nowhere because they screwed up putting together the basic power modules. This occurred right after the sunroof and the windshield flew off. I wonder how much they charge per month to have ones that actually remain on the vehicle.

Yeah. Jes sayin. Lol.
Think of it this way: now you got a convertible 🙃
Sponsored

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
We as a society have failed miserably letting this happen to the auto world. micro transactions are a joke

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
The only thing I would consider paying a subscription for is full self-driving. That takes massive and continuous investments to make and improve.

Everything else.... NO DICE!

Edit:
I'm shocked at the number of you that said anything other than hell no.
This can't be stated enough. I'm speechless!
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

Last edited:

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Dash cam recording. That's something automakers if they are smart would offer. They already have the hardware

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Dash cam recording. That's something automakers if they are smart would offer. They already have the hardware
They don't necessarily already have the hardware. If they buy the components from OEMs, that hardware only supports the purpose built feature set offered by that OEM. Tesla does it because they build all the systems with vertical integration (they buy parts from suppliers, but do all the systems integration).

I am willing to pay for things that require a lot of updates over time. Say navigations that has its data base of locations updated or access to internet to search for POI then yeah I can accept that.
Navigation systems are typically monetized by those that provide them. Your driving data has value -- traffic congestion data and, on a more personal level, tracking where you go and creating a profile of your interests and patterns for targeted advertising. They can also sell markers within the maps for businesses. If they don't sell any of my data or insert paid for "points of interest", I could see that worth paying a fee for. If I'm the primary product sold (my personal data), then it better be free (no monetary cost).

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
They don't necessarily already have the hardware. If they buy the components from OEMs, that hardware only supports the purpose built feature set offered by that OEM. Tesla does it because they build all the systems with vertical integration (they buy parts from suppliers, but do all the systems integration).

Navigation systems are typically monetized by those that provide them. Your driving data has value -- traffic congestion data and, on a more personal level, tracking where you go and creating a profile of your interests and patterns for targeted advertising. They can also sell markers within the maps for businesses. If they don't sell any of my data or insert paid for "points of interest", I could see that worth paying a fee for. If I'm the primary product sold (my personal data), then it better be free (no monetary cost).
They should be building dash cam in. It could be a Cash cow for them with subscription service

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That assumes they don't make any innovations with the platform. Such a model would mean keeping that platform stagnant as the life cycle becomes decades rather than years.
Exactly. The unequal length upper and lower control arm with ball joint suspension has been in use since 1955 (Chevrolet). Still being used today. What VW has done is make a front and rear cradle so the wheel base can be extended or shortened depending on the body placed above. There is a ton of flexibility there. If they want to widen the wheelbase then that is a limitation but it looks like a new cradle frame would do the trick. The VW MEB isn't locked into any one platform....it can adapt to a wide variety of platforms.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford if you're listening, I will pay a monthly fee to remove this stupid 5 second limit on my power, thanks!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It's inevitable. Your cable box, set top streaming device, has all the features it needs built in. But you pay extra to see HBO or ESPN or Disney+. The same will be with cars. All the features are built in but you will pay extra to use them.

And wait until Microsoft starts charging monthly for Windows. They already charge monthly for Office and Windows will be next. Move to a Mac you say? Won't be long before you pay monthly for Mac OS.

The entire world is moving to a monthly subscription model. Will your refrigerator stop running without a subscription? Seem far out? Well, when I was a kid no one paid for video or music content, we had an antenna on the roof. Now, it's just routine to pay for video content.
You can still put up an aerial antenna and get radio and tv for free. Using someone else’s transmission system (the cable company) is wat causes you to need to pay.

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
It's inevitable. Your cable box, set top streaming device, has all the features it needs built in. But you pay extra to see HBO or ESPN or Disney+. The same will be with cars. All the features are built in but you will pay extra to use them.

And wait until Microsoft starts charging monthly for Windows. They already charge monthly for Office and Windows will be next. Move to a Mac you say? Won't be long before you pay monthly for Mac OS.

The entire world is moving to a monthly subscription model. Will your refrigerator stop running without a subscription? Seem far out? Well, when I was a kid no one paid for video or music content, we had an antenna on the roof. Now, it's just routine to pay for video content.
Bad example. The HBO, ESPN, or Disney+ programming is not on the box. That is what you are paying the subscription fee for. A better example would be you buy a TV and then pay a subscription fee to use the volume control.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
JUST A REMINDER. IF YOU SAY "HELL NO" THEN YOU GET NONE OF THOSE ITEMS.
If I can't purchase any of these things and must have a subscription to get them, I won't buy the car. It's that simple.
So I'd have to drive older cars. I can deal with that. Let them shoot themselves in the foot.
Sponsored