Why Can't The Mach-E GT Do This?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You are the one making ridiculous claims. I made an offer, you don't want to take me up on it. We both know there's members of this forum you could talk to that live here. But no, you'd rather talk garbage than actually walk the walk, LOL. BTW, if 1/4s are such old news, why did you post the video? That's OK, I get it. You're a typical internet big talker. You can't back up your actual discussion I responded to, so you change the subject. Please continue. And yes, I understand a Stock M3P is good for about one lap. See, I live in the real world, I don't feel I have to make stuff up. You know, like people who can't comprehend that a video might be just slightly biased to get more hits.
Pretty sure the ā€œridiculous claimsā€ came from the guy claiming the video was faked. ?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
exactly..... all you new BEV guys don't seem to quite get it ... yet.

inverters are NOT 100% efficient
this means that x watts have to be dumped as heat depending how many watts they are passing thru

inverter, motor, and battery cooling loops are designed to handle dumping y amount of heat from steady-state loads plus a little for bursts of acceleration. If heat is NOT dumped fast enough, component temp goes up, and software settings are programmed to clamp down, limit output, and reduce watts dumped to heat until temp recovers.

The ONLY way to increase power thruput, and not exceed temperature parameters is to improve cooling.

if you are starting at a highway speed of 80 mph, and 'constant' power is lets say 30kw on a flat road, the coolant is dumping a fair amount of heat already, and full accel will bump that over what can be dumped pretty quickly..... versus from a stop where component and coolant is at lower temps and gives you another few seconds at full power before temp hits the limits and current restrictions kick in.

..... Electric systems are THERMALLY limited, rather than fuel/air like you may be used to.
This is all exactly correct, though I would argue that replacing the power electronics with something more efficient (less waste heat) or less temperature sensitive (can go hotter - which also means it will cool faster) would improve performance - but that is a pricy way to go. The tech has been around while - but $$$$$

https://www.osti.gov/pages/servlets/purl/1261403

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Meanwhile, the new BMW I4 M50 is already taking shits on Tesla Model 3 Psā€¦. " statement. Apparently, the lad can't count.
Wouldn't you expect the BMW i4 M50 to be faster than a Model3P, based on specs? I don't really like the huge gap-toothed grill on the BMW (similar to the new M3 and 4 series) but otherwise I would expect it to be a much nicer car than a M3P. And faster. Or, more accurately, at least quicker. But likely not by much.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Wouldn't you expect the BMW i4 M50 to be faster than a Model3P, based on specs? I don't really like the huge gap-toothed grill on the BMW (similar to the new M3 and 4 series) but otherwise I would expect it to be a much nicer car than a M3P. And faster. Or, more accurately, at least quicker. But likely not by much.
Iā€™ll chime in here. Maybe. The 3 has the weight advantage but the M50 hp advantage mostly makes up for it. I think either is capable of defeating the other given variations in SOC etc. And, the M50 clearly has the battery pack to pull off roll-on wins against the 3P as well. But *most* of us know that already, right? ?

As for looks, well, BMW has chosen a path I canā€™t follow with the grilles lately. The 3 actually looks better imo and Iā€™m not a fan of Teslaā€™s design language at all, though the Henrik Fisker-penned initial design Model S was a looker back in ā€˜12 Iā€™ll admit. Interior-wise thereā€™s no need for comment, one has an interior the other doesnā€™t. Same for build quality, one is good/great based on reviews so far, one challenges Soviet-era Yugos.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
exactly..... all you new BEV guys don't seem to quite get it ... yet.

inverters are NOT 100% efficient
this means that x watts have to be dumped as heat depending how many watts they are passing thru

inverter, motor, and battery cooling loops are designed to handle dumping y amount of heat from steady-state loads plus a little for bursts of acceleration. If heat is NOT dumped fast enough, component temp goes up, and software settings are programmed to clamp down, limit output, and reduce watts dumped to heat until temp recovers.

The ONLY way to increase power thruput, and not exceed temperature parameters is to improve cooling.

if you are starting at a highway speed of 80 mph, and 'constant' power is lets say 30kw on a flat road, the coolant is dumping a fair amount of heat already, and full accel will bump that over what can be dumped pretty quickly..... versus from a stop where component and coolant is at lower temps and gives you another few seconds at full power before temp hits the limits and current restrictions kick in.

..... Electric systems are THERMALLY limited, rather than fuel/air like you may be used to.
Excellent! Having grown up with turbo cars with crappy intercoolers in hot summers, expecting a system to work the right way all the time when high temperature involved is a crapshoot. Manufacturers started doing tricks to resolve the heat dissipation issue (retard the timing, cutting power, etc), but in reality they could make their cars perform better by installing improved heat-dissipation hardware- for a significant price increase (STI 209 Intercooler sprayer comes to mind).

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
It would be nice to know from Ford if it is something that can be addressed via OTA, or whether the limit is baked into the hardware. At the moment no one really knows anything about it, we are all just guessing, and that kinda sucks
Well, wait until it is out of warranty and ask Vaughn Gittin (Mach-e GT 1400hp builder) for a little help modding your car to get the performance you want, like "old school" hot-rodding. Better yet, Ford Performance parts will probably have a kit "for off road use only" (right) to bump up the power. You know Ford and Chevy aren't going to let the performance parts sales go away just because it's got a battery and not a supercharger, right? :)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Excellent! Having grown up with turbo cars with crappy intercoolers in hot summers, expecting a system to work the right way all the time when high temperature involved is a crapshoot. Manufacturers started doing tricks to resolve the heat dissipation issue (retard the timing, cutting power, etc), but in reality they could make their cars perform better by installing improved heat-dissipation hardware- for a significant price increase (STI 209 Intercooler sprayer comes to mind).
Correct. And, the S209 IC sprayer is still rubbish compared to the Grimmspeed TMIC we installed on our modded ā€˜17 WRX. IAT temps went down 50+F in 100-110F Texas heat. All the time, not just when spraying.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Had the chance to do 2 runs with no gray bars tonight. Also have updated my car with the newest updates with FDRS. Not sure if that changed power delivery at all. but wanted to note it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why Can't The Mach-E GT Do This? 1643770697885

Attachments