Why Can't The Mach-E GT Do This?

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Who cares? It's a crossover family SUV with a sh1t-ton of style and performance. Really, on a day-to-day basis, do you need to launch to 116mph with the kids in the back seat? The most that I see ever needing is 2-3 seconds needed to get in front of that semi barreling down on me as I merge onto the highway.
it isn't about needing to or even about doing it. It's about knowing you can. And other people knowing you can.

If someone sees a Tesla P100D (or Plaid) they know it was expensive, and they know it's god-awful fast. It's a status thing, same reason a Veyron or Koenigsegg cost what they cost, and why they have ever-larger Hp/TQ numbers. It is pitiful for a car that costs nearly $80,000 in MY market (with ADM abound) to have some bizarre, seemingly arbitrary power cut off that neuters it after a relatively short period of time. The Select, Premium, and RT1 models can have that "feature" but the GT, and GTPE, should absolutely not be stuck with that. And it isn't because anyone "needs" a full 10 seconds of go juice... but they should have access to it, like they do in a P100D Tesla.
Sponsored

Silver Surfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Ford is very scared of battery
it isn't about needing to or even about doing it. It's about knowing you can. And other people knowing you can.

If someone sees a Tesla P100D (or Plaid) they know it was expensive, and they know it's god-awful fast. It's a status thing, same reason a Veyron or Koenigsegg cost what they cost, and why they have ever-larger Hp/TQ numbers. It is pitiful for a car that costs nearly $80,000 in MY market (with ADM abound) to have some bizarre, seemingly arbitrary power cut off that neuters it after a relatively short period of time. The Select, Premium, and RT1 models can have that "feature" but the GT, and GTPE, should absolutely not be stuck with that. And it isn't because anyone "needs" a full 10 seconds of go juice... but they should have access to it, like they do in a P100D Tesla.
Ford played it really conservative wit the battery in all versions of the mach e more so than any other manufacturer its like the cars are being baby sat so they can be second hand sold later.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford is very scared of battery
Ford played it really conservative wit the battery in all versions of the mach e more so than any other manufacturer its like the cars are being baby sat so they can be second hand sold later.
Idk about all that. The 36 and 48 month residuals on Options are pathetically low. At and below 40% is really sad. I hope for all yā€™allā€™s sake that doesnā€™t prove to be reality but multinational corporations generally put a decent effort into risk management/mitigation and forecasting.

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag

Gotcha. So are you going to trade for a Taycan or Corvette or something with more "image"? Just curious.
As Ford gets more data back through telematics and gets a better "feel" for what the battery packs are doing, I'd bet we see at some point either an over-air update or a "subscription" (I hope not -I think it's BS to pay to unlock something you already bought) to unlock the 5 second limit.
Either that, or we'll see the aftermarket step in. Someone will eventually "root" the OS on these cars and develop a performance flash chip.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Gotcha. So are you going to trade for a Taycan or Corvette or something with more "image"? Just curious.
As Ford gets more data back through telematics and gets a better "feel" for what the battery packs are doing, I'd bet we see at some point either an over-air update or a "subscription" (I hope not -I think it's BS to pay to unlock something you already bought) to unlock the 5 second limit.
Either that, or we'll see the aftermarket step in. Someone will eventually "root" the OS on these cars and develop a performance flash chip.
It would be nice to know from Ford if it is something that can be addressed via OTA, or whether the limit is baked into the hardware. At the moment no one really knows anything about it, we are all just guessing, and that kinda sucks

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another set of runs.

I was only able to get one run where I got up to speed, slowed down to about 40 and then accelerated again.

I lost track of which run was which on this one though. I think the last 3, I didn't push the accelerator to the floor. Just short of it and tried to keep it there as best as I could. I know there was one run that did feel like it held power longer and I got to 100 much quicker.

Attachments

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Another set of runs.

I was only able to get one run where I got up to speed, slowed down to about 40 and then accelerated again.

I lost track of which run was which on this one though. I think the last 3, I didn't push the accelerator to the floor. Just short of it and tried to keep it there as best as I could. I know there was one run that did feel like it held power longer and I got to 100 much quicker.
Is it possible to track throttle position? Could be very helpful with ascertaining if the "just under full throttle" idea is really faster.. Great data though.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is it possible to track throttle position? Could be very helpful with ascertaining if the "just under full throttle" idea is really faster.. Great data though.
I could add that in next time.

I've noticed looking though the PIDs in the past that with your foot completely off the pedal, it shows around 15%, and with it to the floor, it isn't 100%. So it may be hard to really judge anything based on that reading.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I could add that in next time.

I've noticed looking though the PIDs in the past that with your foot completely off the pedal, it shows around 15%, and with it to the floor, it isn't 100%. So it may be hard to really judge anything based on that reading.
Interesting.

It could be that if it isnā€™t 100% throttle, itā€™s just another limiter, or it could represent 1 gray bar that youā€™re seeing.

The 15%? Could be a part of what mode youā€™re in or how much regeneration itā€™s showing? Not sure.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
So. Weā€™re now at a point where an aftermarket pedal mounted throttle stop may make a GT/PE faster? Is this real f-ing life? Haha.

Meanwhile, the new BMW I4 M50 is already taking shits on Tesla Model 3 Psā€¦.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
No, it's beating a Tesla Model 3 that either isn't really a Performance model or there is something wrong with it. That 3 is doing the 1/4 just a bit slower than my wife's non-performance 3 with power upgrade--which is ridiculously slower than a Model 3P. The I-4 M50 would only see the tail lights receding in the distance of an actual, functional Model 3P. That's just a fact.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So. Weā€™re now at a point where an aftermarket pedal mounted throttle stop may make a GT/PE faster? Is this real f-ing life? Haha.

Well hey, the GTPE would only be *checks notes* about a second slower to the 1/4 mile marker than either of the cars. Sad.

I wish Ford would unleash the kraken on this stupid 5SR.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
No, it's beating a Tesla Model 3 that either isn't really a Performance model or there is something wrong with it. That 3 is doing the 1/4 just a bit slower than my wife's non-performance 3 with power upgrade--which is ridiculously slower than a Model 3P. The I-4 M50 would only see the tail lights receding in the distance of an actual, functional Model 3P. That's just a fact.
Itā€™s hard to argue with actual video evidence, yet here we are.

More likely the explanation for the 12 second 1/4 mile? Theyā€™re in England and itā€™s winter.

The video was posted a week ago. The highs in London this week? In the low 40s F.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Thatā€™s a lot of excuses my man. In that race the 3 lost and the gap was growing. Mat Watson does a good job in the Carwow drag videos and the Teslas usually win. They donā€™t misstate car models. The guy usually driving the Teslas has his own EV reselling business called RSEV or something. Theyā€™re not some clueless schmucks. Watch their other videos if you havenā€™t already. I donā€™t care about each carā€™s SOC or ambient temps, it lost and it got worse the higher they went. If the point was lost on you, it was that another new performance EV went out and put down power continuously well enough to pull away from a 3 P, get it? Something a GT can only do for 5 secs currently.
Sponsored