Will Mach-E get bi-directional charging for 2022?

BIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac & Acura
Country flag
Since the 2022 F-150 Lightening will have bi-directional charging, I would assume the same for the 2022 Mach-E, but I can't find any info on that. Thanks.
Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Since the 2022 F-150 Lightening will have bi-directional charging, I would assume the same for the 2022 Mach-E, but I can't find any info on that. Thanks.
No.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Would make no sense. 88 kWh battery vs. 170 kWh battery, plus two inverters on Lightning allowing 80 amp charging.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Would make no sense. 88 kWh battery vs. 170 kWh battery, plus two inverters on Lightning allowing 80 amp charging.
lol I feel like you could setup a business with some F-150's as an emergency power service for dead EV's. Just drive down the road and plug into their EV, charge it up to get them to a station and move on your way.

BTW if anyone does this I only want a 10% cut for my forward thinking. Thanks.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Already planning it. Go away, it's my business model. ;)

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Already planning it. Go away, it's my business model. ;)
Too late, I already posted it for all of the internet to see. Your 'already planning it' statement is only conjecture at this point and I own the rights to it. lol.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Too late, I already posted it for all of the internet to see. Your 'already planning it' statement is only conjecture at this point and I own the rights to it. lol.
Jokes on you. I applied for a trademark to "MobileChargingForMorons".

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Why not? It is just a change in the charge direction, just as all present cars can boost (jump charge) others with the 12 VDC battery. After the warranty on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid expires, I will access the HV battery for emergency power. There is 1.8 kWh available, plus an engine and generator in the car. It already has a 120 VAC outlet inside but limited to only 180 W. I want to pull over a kilowatt when needed.

If Ford can do it on the Hybrid F-150 now and offers it on the future Lightning, Ford can do it on all future electrics and hybrids.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
lol I feel like you could setup a business with some F-150's as an emergency power service for dead EV's. Just drive down the road and plug into their EV, charge it up to get them to a station and move on your way.

BTW if anyone does this I only want a 10% cut for my forward thinking. Thanks.
Or even better: F-150s to charge my Mach-e when I go to the beach.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I would really doubt that there are any changes at all for the 2022 Mach E besides color options, and even that I wouldn't hold my breath on.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I still think its a possiblity IF the Lightning's EVSE has an inverter in it. If it uses the on-board inverter for this, then it won't happen.

If the EVSE has the inverter in it, I would think it would use the CCS plug connectors to interface to the battery directly, and provide power to the house. This likely could just be enabled with software.

However, if the lightning uses an on-board inverter, then it won't happen because the MME doesn't have a big enough inverter.

Racing_Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, '04 Silverado
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I still think its a possiblity IF the Lightning's EVSE has an inverter in it. If it uses the on-board inverter for this, then it won't happen.

If the EVSE has the inverter in it, I would think it would use the CCS plug connectors to interface to the battery directly, and provide power to the house. This likely could just be enabled with software.

However, if the lightning uses an on-board inverter, then it won't happen because the MME doesn't have a big enough inverter.
The "Pro Charge Station" that goes with the Lightning serves as the inverter. It is conceivable that a software update could allow the Mach-E to do the same thing. I wouldn't expect it to be linked to a model year.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The "Pro Charge Station" that goes with the Lightning serves as the inverter. It is conceivable that a software update could allow the Mach-E to do the same thing. I wouldn't expect it to be linked to a model year.
agreed. Darren Palmer alluded to it being a possibility a while ago. Well, when asked about it he gave a wry smile and said "the technique uses the standard DC pins of the CCS port on the vehicle" or something to that effect. I have a feeling it will probably be another add-on software feature for the Mach E at some point.
Sponsored