Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what happened in the process of trying to get that fixed.

Last week I had the windshield and pano roof reinstalled with better adhesive per the recall we’ve all heard about. Since then there’s been a substantial increase in wind noise coming from the area where the windshield and roof meet up. Now they are not matching up as well - the roof is maybe 1/4” to 5/16” higher than the windshield. I’ve seen a video where a guy bought a T shaped seal and pushed it into that gap. But I want Ford to fix this. I suspect they will say it’s in spec so deal with it. I’ll be talking with my dealer soon, but wondering if anyone else has this issue after the recall work.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The panoramic roof should not have been removed for the recall. Check your paperwork, if they removed the panoramic roof and reinstalled it, they did the recall wrong. If that’s the case, you may have issues with the rinds hired, the roof, or both. If it’s not the case, then this is a windshield issue.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
The panoramic roof should not have been removed for the recall. Check your paperwork, if they removed the panoramic roof and reinstalled it, they did the recall wrong. If that’s the case, you may have issues with the rinds hired, the roof, or both. If it’s not the case, then this is a windshield issue.
Are you sure on removal? It's my understanding it has to be removed to redo the seal, hence removal of all the headliner.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Like warning dealers about excessive ADM, seems like Ford also needs to reiterate for the recall that the panoramic roof does not need to be removed.

I've lost count of the number of stories I've heard on here of it being done despite the very clear recall instructions.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you sure on removal? It's my understanding it has to be removed to redo the seal, hence removal of all the headliner.
The recall instructions are available online at the NTHSA website. They’re quite detailed and provide the exact process. The roof does not get removed. If the dealer removed it, they did it wrong.

Page forward to around page 10 for the summary of steps and about page 14 for the roof steps. It stays attached.

Attachments

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
The recall instructions are available online at the NTHSA website. They’re quite detailed and provide the exact process. The roof does not get removed. If the dealer removed it, they did it wrong.

Page forward to around page 10 for the summary of steps and about page 14 for the roof steps. It stays attached.
Thanks for sharing. Mine is scheduled next week and I'll make sure they aren't planning on removing the roof. I do plan on having them do the TSB after windshield replacement since mine currently has the wind noise issue and I don't want to have to mess with coming back in case the recall doesn't resolve it.

jetermeyer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 300H, Acura TLX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I made a mistake and said they removed my roof. I was wrong. They followed the recall instructions. After the recall was done, everything was fine, and I believe it is a little quieter but don't have proof of that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Mine is scheduled next week and I'll make sure they aren't planning on removing the roof. I do plan on having them do the TSB after windshield replacement since mine currently has the wind noise issue and I don't want to have to mess with coming back in case the recall doesn't resolve it.
Most dealers with collision centers are doing things as they’re supposed to. Most third party contractors (glass shops) are probably doing do as well. No shop actually wants to take the roof off and replace it if it’s not absolutely necessary.

Some owners are presuming the roof is removed and some shops/dealers are just making assumptions as well, the majority of cases are done just fine. Only the extreme versions get posts here.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The TSB is quite specific as to what vehicles it applies to, so unless yours was made before Feb 15th, it doesn't apply to you. I had my body shop measure mine to ensure it was within spec, which they were happy to do, and it was. I'm sure yours will also measure for you.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
The TSB is quite specific as to what vehicles it applies to, so unless yours was made before Feb 15th, it doesn't apply to you. I had my body shop measure mine to ensure it was within spec, which they were happy to do, and it was. I'm sure yours will also measure for you.
I'll have to check but I believe my car is pre feb 15 car. It was on the dealer lot as their show car from April till June 1st

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I'll have to check but I believe my car is pre feb 15 car. It was on the dealer lot as their show car from April till June 1st
Thanks for the info everyone. I’ll check the gap - I suspect it’s more than 4 mm. So whether the roof came off or not (probably not) my original question remains- anyone else had the wind noise issue after the recall?

Btw before the recall I heard what was probably the windshield/roof break loose several times - sounded like a brick dropped on the roof. From then on I had wind noise from an area above the passenger seat side. Dealer could not see anything wrong of course.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
my original question remains- anyone else had the wind noise issue after the recall?
Mine has the same mild wind noise it had before the recall. I’ll probably ask the dealer to apply the wind noise TSB the next time I have it in for something.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Mine has the same mild wind noise it had before the recall. I’ll probably ask the dealer to apply the wind noise TSB the next time I have it in for something.
I’m not familiar with that TSB. There’s a fix for this that doesn’t involve resetting the windshield?

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Never mind. I see it higher up in my post.
Sponsored