Would you fix your own Mach-E

How many of you would attempt to work on your MME?

• Total voters

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So i already mentioned before that I tend to work on my own cars whenever possible. I believe that I would attempt to do the same with the MME but I do think that this car might be a bit more difficult since there is a lot more electrical work which I am sure requires specialty tools other than maybe the brakes. How many of you would attempt to work on your MME?

The direct competitor to the MME doesn't want you touching anything on the car so would something like what this video below discusses stop you?

Why Does Tesla Have An Anti Right-To-Repair Stand? We Suggest Some Reasons - YouTube
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So i already mentioned before that I tend to work on my own cars whenever possible. I believe that I would attempt to do the same with the MME but I do think that this car might be a bit more difficult since there is a lot more electrical work which I am sure requires specialty tools other than maybe the brakes. How many of you would attempt to work on your MME?

The direct competitor to the MME doesn't want you touching anything on the car so would something like what this video below discusses stop you?

Why Does Tesla Have An Anti Right-To-Repair Stand? We Suggest Some Reasons - YouTube
I already don't do any work (but very basic stuff like wipers, and the one time I swapped out the MyFord Touch hardware myself) on my car, because having done things like a brake job in the past with the a coworker's help, I've decided it's not something I have the right skills for nor particularly enjoy, and it makes more sense to pay someone that has the skill. It's a better use of my time (which has value - I know it's hard to believe given the sh*tposting I do on here, but my time does have value) at this point in my life.

I completely understand others being different on this. It's a very personal decision.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
What do you guys think about companies blocking all repairs and even blocking aftermarket or jobber parts?

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
What do you guys think about companies blocking all repairs and even blocking aftermarket or jobber parts?
Personally I do not think it helps the company. These days most people take their cars in even for the easy stuff. Blocking the few people who want to try really only hurts the brand image in my opinion.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Okay, perhaps I was being facetious.

In all seriousness I'd probably end up trying to do more work myself because I'd be concerned about the training level of current techs. Most will speed the majority of their time working on traditional vehicles. At least if I fix it myself I know what I did and didn't do. Something about being personally responsible for the machine I am riding in makes me take more care in my work.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I plan to change the oil, air filter and spark plugs myself!
Don't forget to properly maintain your blinker fluid...

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
For me, it really depends. I do some major car work myself, but an electrical power train is a different animal. One wrong touch and you could be killed.
I'll get there, but I'll be heavily cautious and only do simple jobs like brakes for a long while. If it even needs them... Which it might not, lol.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Given EV reliability I doubt anything will break on it during my ownership. Granted it is a brand new model but that is what the warranty is for.

I used to be hands on with the vehicles (oil changes, etc.) but at this point my time is worth more to me doing something else.

Another, related question, is "Will you do your own modifications?"

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I voted "no." But I'd do the easiest stuff like replacing the cabin air filter, wiper blades, hood struts, resetting SYNC when it crashes, and some failed items like hvac vent actuators if they aren't too painful to access.

I'd like to be able to "jump start" the car on my own when the 12V battery dies, but that is looking a bit sketchy on this car at the moment. I'm not sure where I'll store the jumper pack when I'm away from home since there doesn't seem to be any place to store the jumper battery that is accessible without 12V power.

If it turns out to have capacitors keeping the door locks functional during an outage, then I can keep the jumper in the glove box. But that is seeming unlikely for now.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If it turns out to have capacitors keeping the door locks functional during an outage, then I can keep the jumper in the glove box. But that is seeming unlikely for now.
I thought it was a settled fact that there are super capacitors in the doors for this very reason?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Very bad idea.
Sponsored