Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is there any way to check what the vehicle reports it has for the pack or total capacity?
You might consider getting a ODB2 reader (<$40), the CarScanner (free) app, and take a look at all the available sensors. I don't recall one displaying kWhr directly, but there is HV voltage.

at rest with 60-70% SOC, the SR battery pack will display right around 365 volts
the EX pack will be higher because the cells are in a different configuration

CS use 04 showing max kW.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
You might consider getting a ODB2 reader (<$40), the CarScanner (free) app
I actually already own an OBD2 to Ethernet adapter (it was necessary to "code" some settings on the i3), would that work? I don't have Android, only an iPhone, but with ethernet, it'd need to be computer. Anyone know what computer program would I use to read it?

I'm guessing I wouldn't have access to their official internet based tool :)
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-diagnostic-and-repair-system-on-mach-e.3232/

Last edited:
Reactions: UW2

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So, I’ve been frustrated by the low range estimate on my Mach-E4X. It’s been way off since I bought it, but because everyone says that it adjusts over time and takes a while, I’ve been patient. But I’m growing weary. Here’s where I am at:

I bought it with 17 miles and reset the driving history and trip meters at around 50. That reset the GOM to about 210 miles. I’ve now put over 1,000 miles on it, and my trip meter says I’ve averaged 3.5 mi/kWhr over those 1000 miles. BUT the highest extrapolated range I’ve ever seen is 245 miles.

if I believe Ford’s EPA estimate on the AWD with 68kWhr standard pack, you’d need to get about 3.1 mi/kWhr to hit 210 miles, and an average of 3.5 mi/kWhr is 238 miles, which is suspiciously close to the figure my car has been reporting all along, and nowhere near the 308 it should be getting if I really did use 88 kWhr at an average of 3.5.

I know everyone says it takes a while to “learn,” but over how long? If 1,000 miles isn’t enough, what is?

So is it possible my car either has the wrong battery pack installed, or is misconfigured to believe it does? Is there any way to check what the vehicle reports it has for the pack or total capacity?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? CS use 04 showing max kW
the chances of you having the wrong battery are very small.

but there's an easy way to test. Get your car up to temperature, make sure it's at like 50%, go to an EA station, and see if you hit any charging at any level about 115 kW. If it ever does, even for a brief time, you have the right battery. It's physically impossible to go above that on the SR battery.

but you're worrying about nothing.

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the chances of you having the wrong battery are very small.

but there's an easy way to test. Get your car up to temperature, make sure it's at like 50%, go to an EA station, and see if you hit any charging at any level about 115 kW. If it ever does, even for a brief time, you have the right battery. It's physically impossible to go above that on the SR battery.

but you're worrying about nothing.
Will do. I’ll report back.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I actually already own an OBD2 to Ethernet adapter (it was necessary to "code" some settings on the i3), would that work? I don't have Android, only an iPhone, but with ethernet, it'd need to be computer. Anyone know what computer program would I use to read it?

I'm guessing I wouldn't have access to their official internet based tool :)
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-diagnostic-and-repair-system-on-mach-e.3232/
Carscanner app is great, and free version is good

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will do. I’ll report back.
Ok, so I had a chance to do a longer road trip on Friday. The TL; DR is that of course I do have the 88 kWhr battery.

I started the morning at 80%, drove a total of 380 miles at an average of 3.0mi/kWhr, and the charging kW for the percentages added calculated out to equal an 88-90 kWhr pack. And now after those extra miles, my car is finally adjusting it's GOM to reflect my lifetime driving average of 3.3, with an 80% charge guessing 228 miles (extrapolated range of 285).

The biggest surprise was that Fast charging at an Electrify America was actually faster than the nav thought it would be (it peaked at 128kW, but averaged about 110kW to go from 17% to 62% in 24 min).

It's also surprising to me, having only had lower-range EVs before now, just HOW FAR the Mach-E will take you! It just kept going and going (and that was starting at 80%). It essentailly erases any range anxiety I had with the i3 (which was my primary reason for going back to a Volt afterwards). I honestly don't think stopping every 2-3 hours for 15-20 min is ever going to be an issue for me, it's nice to stretch my legs, as my "6 hour power drives" days are behind me. Looking forward to future longer trips!

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice assuaging my fears.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I was feeling the same as you and frustrated I paid $5000 more for the extended range battery and even canceled my FE because I wanted more range over all wheel drive; this is my first EV and I was nervous. As of today, I have 2600 miles after 99 days and I finally saw the range go to 304 miles. I don't do much freeway driving and always use 1PD so I don't understand how others are getting higher ranges but I see its possible. My car had initial battery issues and I bought it with 28 miles due to the QC/calibration done at Speedway so I am hopeful it's finally settling down and the range will keep increasing (I have reset the driving history twice). I saw a graphic from Edmunds showing the Ext CA RT1 range at 344 which should be the same range for the premium Ext RWD. My average KWH is 3.7 so with 88 Kwh available it SHOULD be at least 325 miles per full charge.

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was feeling the same as you and frustrated I paid $5000 more for the extended range battery and even canceled my FE because I wanted more range over all wheel drive; this is my first EV and I was nervous. As of today, I have 2600 miles after 99 days and I finally saw the range go to 304 miles. I don't do much freeway driving and always use 1PD so I don't understand how others are getting higher ranges but I see its possible. My car had initial battery issues and I bought it with 28 miles due to the QC/calibration done at Speedway so I am hopeful it's finally settling down and the range will keep increasing (I have reset the driving history twice). I saw a graphic from Edmunds showing the Ext CA RT1 range at 344 which should be the same range for the premium Ext RWD. My average KWH is 3.7 so with 88 Kwh available it SHOULD be at least 325 miles per full charge.
I will reiterate what others have said: the GOM has no bearing on ACTUAL range, it's just guessing based on your (very long history) average driving of what you'll be able to travel. On any given day, you'll get your usable pack size (88kWhr) times your average efficiency (3.7 for example) for the trip you're currently doing.

I know this, but my original post was because I'd not had a chance to drive or charge enough yet to confirm it, and my GOM was still very low after 1,000 miles, and it was making me question if it was possible I had the wrong battery size. A long trip confirmed it was correct though. I agree that it's frustrating how slow the GOM is to adjust. now at nearly 1,500 miles it seems to be settling in to my 3.5-ish average efficiency so far.

Also the Ca. Route 1 *IS* slightly lighter, and is rated at 5 miles more than the equivalent RWD Premium. But the difference in range is only about 1%.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I will reiterate what others have said: the GOM has no bearing on ACTUAL range, it's just guessing based on your (very long history) average driving of what you'll be able to travel. On any given day, you'll get your usable pack size (88kWhr) times your average efficiency (3.7 for example) for the trip you're currently doing.

I know this, but my original post was because I'd not had a chance to drive or charge enough yet to confirm it, and my GOM was still very low after 1,000 miles, and it was making me question if it was possible I had the wrong battery size. A long trip confirmed it was correct though. I agree that it's frustrating how slow the GOM is to adjust. now at nearly 1,500 miles it seems to be settling in to my 3.5-ish average efficiency so far.

Also the Ca. Route 1 *IS* slightly lighter, and is rated at 5 miles more than the equivalent RWD Premium. But the difference in range is only about 1%.
I posted because I started doubting the size of my battery when people with the standard battery were getting better range than my extended battery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yesterday morning (E4X):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? 184E02DF-CCFB-4EA6-9F4D-224352131A4E

bludzeph

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job1 2021 Premium XR AWD Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also have AWD XR and cleared the driver info at 20 miles. Like you my calculation of total mileage came in around 245 miles on full battery and had your same concerns.
I charge at home and twice recently needed to travel a distance the GOM indicated would require charging in route. Both times I was able to get home without charging. Once with 4 miles left and the other with 20 left. I calculated that in both instances the GOM was 15% low.
My current charge is 43% with 101 miles. (101/.43)*1.15 = 270. I am no longer concerned with not having the correct battery.
2,370 miles and happily counting.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
Glad to see your issue is resolved, and see other Mach E owners who previously owned Volts. I've had 3 Volts (re-Volting again and again!), a Bolt, a Tesla M3 AWD+, and my Mach E premium RWD SR... When I got the Mach E it was reporting < 200 miles range at 100% no doubt due to cold new england weather, but it has quickly gone to 245 as I try to keep it under 70 on highway and do most of my driving around town (3.9 miles/KWh). I considered AWD but (1) that $2700 option would have cost me $5200 given I'd lose Massachusetts EV rebate, and (2) it lowered the efficiency substantially. One more thing for extended range battery, it lowers the storage space so checking trunk compared to SR could confirm at least the extended battery is present. I'm sure the AWD packs a hell of a lot more punch than the RWD, but I've got my dual motor+ Tesla that does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and has a much lower center of gravity for when I want to rip some tread off all 4 tires at once. Even though I'm a long time sports car enthusiast (owned 5 speed FD RX-7 twin turbo, 6 speed Boxster S, Infiniti 6MT G35S/37S coupes, and a couple of manual transmission BMW 3 series), and even though the Mach E (non-GT) doesn't hold a candle to the gut wrenching acceleration and cornering of my Tesla Model 3, I usually prefer driving the Mach E as Ford has just made it so pleasant to drive, with those (admittedly dorky looking) narrow rear tires able to kick out nicely in a turn and the more solid feel of everything from doors to trunk/hatch. Also love the working intelligent wipers, actual dashboard in front of me, better turn signals, and less jarring lane change while on "autopilot" of the Ford (I didn't splurge for FSD on Tesla). Now if only Ford and EA could get high speed charging to work consistently, and make the phone key app work more consistently without draining my Samsung S21 battery, I might trade my Model 3 in for the early reservation Cybertruck I have on order instead of the Mach E.

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
Please everyone, stop thinking of the GoM as a gauge. It is not a gauge and doesn't measure anything. It is an estimate and, in this implementation, a poor one for the most part. Its so unfortunate that Ford made the GoM font larger than the SoC%, causing many people to view it like the gasoline gauge we all have been using for most of our driving lives. The SoC% is much more like a fuel gauge.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I've never seen 230 on full range in SR.
200 miles is probably the maximum estimated range I've seen on 100% charge. I have over 1000 miles on the car.
I've seen 226 on mine at least once.
Sponsored