Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wouldn’t it be great to see this somewhere: Total
kW used on a trip. Both the i3 and the Volt did this. I don’t know why Ford chose to hide so much of this info.
Absolutely!
Sponsored

duneii

First Name
Siri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in '18, Mach E LR AWD-order
Country flag
Ok, so that screenshot gave me realize I have enough info to do some calculatin'. My Charger is 15amps (on a NEMA 6-20 socket), which should charge at 3.6 kW, with a battery intake of 3.2 kW on the Mach-E4x according to this site. So 4.8 hrs at 3.2 kW ≈ 15.86 kWhr. App says 16% charge, so 15.86kWhr/0.16 ≈ 99kWhr.
I'm jumping in late to this thread. Glad you were able to reassure yourself on the battery pack size.

A lesson I learned from the 16kWh battery pack on the Pacific plug in hybrid: There is a ton of software that adjusts rate of charge, available capacity, temperature, drivng terran, etc that makes it very hard to guesstimate usable pack capacity. For some folks on Pacific Plu-In forum they thought Chrysler cheated them because they bought the car in winter and got very low EV only miles. ?
I had a routine commute of about 30 miles and saw EV only range from 35miles (spring) down to 18 miles (winter) with an average of 24 miles for the year. Pacifica EPA EV only range is 32 miles. If the Pacifica I got in 2017 had that much variance on a commute throughout the year, I expect similar for any other EV.
Bottom line: EPA is a reasonable estimate for range but Ford and Porsche sell themselves short while Tesla does the opposite. I hope the EPA changes the rules to give a consistent answer for consumers.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Wild idea... Maybe you have access to a scale and can weigh your MME? A smaller battery pack would mean a lighter GVWR. Your Premium ER/AWD says : GVWR at 2631 KG (5800 LB):

You would have to find someone with a Premium SR/AWD to see what their GVWR is, and decide if the difference would be measurable on a truck scale.

I use the scale at my local retail rock quarry...
Don't use Gross Vehicle Weight. That's car plus payload. Use curb weight: ~4800 pounds.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I agree, sounds like my only option might be to convince a Ford dealer to do it for me though?
I am going to tell you that you are stressing to much. It is a GOM and ford is super conservative in those numbers plus it is still learning.
I have a ER AWD Premium. When I first got my car after a reset I was seeing numbers close to yours. At 90% I was seeing something like 210 miles when the car at 50-100 miles on it. Over the pass 1k miles it has been getting higher. Now the car is reporting 203 miles at 70% charge.
Let the battery run down a little. Take it for a longer drive and say burn 20% of the battery and then pull the miles per Kwh and crunch the numbers. That will give you a much better idea what the battery is for your own peace of mind.
Chances are you will find out that you have close to 88Kwh battey than not. Just the GOM is still learning and it takes a LONG time for it to get remotely close.

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag
I've never seen 230 on full range in SR.
200 miles is probably the maximum estimated range I've seen on 100% charge. I have over 1000 miles on the car.

Reactions: ARK

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
So, I’ve been frustrated by the low range estimate on my Mach-E4X. It’s been way off since I bought it, but because everyone says that it adjusts over time and takes a while, I’ve been patient. But I’m growing weary. Here’s where I am at:

I bought it with 17 miles and reset the driving history and trip meters at around 50. That reset the GOM to about 210 miles. I’ve now put over 1,000 miles on it, and my trip meter says I’ve averaged 3.5 mi/kWhr over those 1000 miles. BUT the highest extrapolated range I’ve ever seen is 245 miles.

if I believe Ford’s EPA estimate on the AWD with 68kWhr standard pack, you’d need to get about 3.1 mi/kWhr to hit 210 miles, and an average of 3.5 mi/kWhr is 238 miles, which is suspiciously close to the figure my car has been reporting all along, and nowhere near the 308 it should be getting if I really did use 88 kWhr at an average of 3.5.

I know everyone says it takes a while to “learn,” but over how long? If 1,000 miles isn’t enough, what is?

So is it possible my car either has the wrong battery pack installed, or is misconfigured to believe it does? Is there any way to check what the vehicle reports it has for the pack or total capacity?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? 1620785862539
196 at 80% is 240 at 100%
You're having 88kwh.
I just did 185 miles and used only 50% , but my gom shows 50% less and can only do 127 more.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? 20210511_125546
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? 20210510_163928

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Lexus CT200h
Country flag
Lately a 100% charge gets me about 300 miles, which is what Ford estimates. I have been driving in heavy L.A. traffic. Have you tried driving somewhere that has more traffic? Maybe the problem is that you don’t have enough traffic where you live. ?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I realize the OP is an experienced EV owner but others here are new to this. Turning off climate control would immediately add about 20 miles to the GOM guesstimate in my Bolt near full charge. I haven’t tried that in the MME but that could be the difference between observed full charge range and rated range.

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I realize the OP is an experienced EV owner but others here are new to this. Turning off climate control would immediately add about 20 miles to the GOM guesstimate in my Bolt near full charge. I haven’t tried that in the MME but that could be the difference between observed full charge range and rated range.
Nope, the MME (Like the Volt) doesn't change the GOM quickly when you turn on/off climate control. But it will take it into account as a longer trend in cold weather. The i3 GOM didn't immediately jump with HVAC changes, but it would adjust it within a few miles, rather than tens or hundreds of miles like the Volt and MME. But of course it does have an effect on the actual range.

I should also mention I'm used to driving a pretty cold vehicle in the winter, so I dress warm and use the seat heaters knowing how much of a hit the heater takes. I suspect next winter, now that I have a HUGE battery (not one that goes 45 or 80 miles) I'll be more apt to use more heat in the winter.

As a side note, MME has the best seat heaters of anything I've owned besides a Volvo v60, which would BURN YOU OUT OF THE CAR. Those Swedes know how to make a seat heater!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Your range will be completely dependent on how YOU drive, weather, the route you're on, and all kinds of factors.

Mine shows 197 at 90% charge. I've not hit over 225miles on 100% charge yet and i'm at 5,000 miles.

But, I drive fast. All the "highway" driving around here happens between 70-80mph so range is going to be way lower than the EPA states.
I set auto pilot for 67 usually, to the dismay of people behind me trying to go 90. Mostly highway driving. A few spurts of passing power now and then. My spring range estimates at 100% have gone as high as 311 on some optimistic days. So yes, driving style is a huge factor. Of course in March, closer to 200. Which is why I am nervous about any car with a epa of less than 250.

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
So, I’ve been frustrated by the low range estimate on my Mach-E4X. It’s been way off since I bought it, but because everyone says that it adjusts over time and takes a while, I’ve been patient. But I’m growing weary. Here’s where I am at:

I bought it with 17 miles and reset the driving history and trip meters at around 50. That reset the GOM to about 210 miles. I’ve now put over 1,000 miles on it, and my trip meter says I’ve averaged 3.5 mi/kWhr over those 1000 miles. BUT the highest extrapolated range I’ve ever seen is 245 miles.

if I believe Ford’s EPA estimate on the AWD with 68kWhr standard pack, you’d need to get about 3.1 mi/kWhr to hit 210 miles, and an average of 3.5 mi/kWhr is 238 miles, which is suspiciously close to the figure my car has been reporting all along, and nowhere near the 308 it should be getting if I really did use 88 kWhr at an average of 3.5.

I know everyone says it takes a while to “learn,” but over how long? If 1,000 miles isn’t enough, what is?

So is it possible my car either has the wrong battery pack installed, or is misconfigured to believe it does? Is there any way to check what the vehicle reports it has for the pack or total capacity?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wrong Battery Pack? 20210510_163928
Your 196mi at 80% extrapolates to 245 miles. Thats not far off of your car's expected 270 mile range.

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
Your 196mi at 80% extrapolates to 245 miles. Thats not far off of your car's expected 270 mile range.
Yes the 245 is what I stated in my original post. Again, the reason for my questioning is because the “expected range” is derived based on an average of 3.1 mi/kWhr. However I have averaged 3.5 over the last 1,000 miles (according to the car’s trip meter), and it’s still projecting 245. And 3.5mi/kWhr x 68kWhr (smaller battery pack) = 238 miles. So after 1,000 miles, my car is still reporting *exactly* what the smaller pack should be if it were indeed using its own reported 1,000 mile average of 3.5 . THAT is why this question came up.

So either it’s using ≈2.8 as the basis for the GOM (which believe it or not still seems possible based on some rough charging calculations) , or it’s calculating that GOM based on 68kWhr pack.

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
This weekend I charged to 100% on my SR RWD and the GOM showed 300 miles. Drove 112 miles and it showed me 52% and 150 miles in the GOM. Daily I hardly ever go over 45mph and run with the windows open. On my trip it was 70mph highway with AC. Trip was dead on EPA estimates.

YMMV.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Have you thought of running the car down to like 5% and then charging back to 100%. Sometimes the wear leveler software needs to 'see' the entire charge curve before it will give it to you. This is a odd feature of the large capacity cars. In the Volt and BMW it doesn't matter as you run the battery through its full range through daily driving. But with a 88 kwh battery and short commutes, you have to consciously drive the charge down and not charge every single day. I don't know your full usage pattern but I suspect you are charging everyday, kinda Volt/I3 pattern. I put a lot of miles on my Etron and still I don't charge every day. once or twice a week is usually good enough.
Sponsored