Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium 4X Ext, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Though I hate to bring up the dark side, does anyone know if Teslas are subject to 12V problems? My brother has one and no issues with this.
Yes; we used to own a 2018 Tesla Model 3. In 2020 the 12V failed without warning in our garage. In 2022 the display screen warned that the 12V was low. We had that 12V replaced at our cost.
Sponsored

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm having the same exact issue with my 23 GT. 20K miles in 10 months.

I Had 12 volt battery replaced UNDER WARRANTY 3 weeks ago. Seems like once or twice a week I still get the 12v. Low battery warning. I travel about 110, very hilly miles a day (Northern NH). I Plug the HVB in nightly. From 45% - 80% charge points nightly. Going in to the dealership beginning of June for the 20k check where they will take a look at charge system and others to see if they can find the issue.
yeah something definitely not right there. My 21 for 2.5 years only recall getting the message once or twice. My 23.5 gt, never, and the state of charge for the 12v never falls below 80% and usually is between 85 and 95%. And I only do short drives each day (500-600 miles a month)

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I have a mid-July 22 basic Select and have seen no such warnings. I was stuck for a while not getting updates because ' the 12 V battery doesn't have a high enough SOC' but otherwise wasn't having any problems. I think Ford has addressed that problem in an update.

The fix for getting the failing update to go ahead was changing my charging target to 100% until the big update was installed, then moving my high target to 70% as before.

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
This message causes more confusion than it helps. Plugging in does not charge the 12v battery.. Also, when the 12v battery drops below 12.1v the HVB is supposed to connect and charge the 12v.
I have begun to keep my MME “running“ in my garage for eight hours or so to charge the 12v battery. This only drops the HVB by 1or2 perc.ent and keeps that dumb message off my phone.
When my 23 is plugged in and NOT charging. Ford app reports 13.4v, OBD reports 13.4v, and a multimeter reports 13.4v.

12v SOC goes back to 100% every night. From being plugged in and not charging.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When my 23 is plugged in and NOT charging. Ford app reports 13.4v, OBD reports 13.4v, and a multimeter reports 13.4v.

12v SOC goes back to 100% every night. From being plugged in and not charging.
Where specifically in the Ford App can you see 13.4v? Thank you.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Where specifically in the Ford App can you see 13.4v? Thank you.
Sorry I mean the website not the app. When you go to “my account” on Ford.com the charge level shown is your 12v. If you use your browser tools to view the data as it comes in the JSON result that has the charge level, tire pressure, etc. also has a voltage reading.

It’s only displayed in the JSON though, shows under 'batteryStatusActual'

Screenshot 2024-05-19 114354.png

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
I’ve also noticed if I drive around with the OBD scanner running the 12v only seems to be charging when the vehicle is stopped. But I haven’t driven with the scanner running for more than 10-15 min to see if this behavior changes over time.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry I mean the website not the app. When you go to “my account” on Ford.com the charge level shown is your 12v. If you use your browser tools to view the data as it comes in the JSON result that has the charge level, tire pressure, etc. also has a voltage reading.

It’s only displayed in the JSON though, shows under 'batteryStatusActual'

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12 volts warning last night - anyone else get these warnings Screenshot 2024-05-19 114354
In that place on the website I only see %SOC not xx.xV.

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
In that place on the website I only see %SOC not xx.xV.
Possible it could be some newer update? Though my 23 sat on the lot from last July until a couple weeks ago and I’ve never got an OTA yet.

But I’ve always had the two separate fields on the website, batteryStatusActual showing voltage and batteryFillLevel showing SOC%

(In then JSON, not actually displayed on the page)

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Possible it could be some newer update? Though my 23 sat on the lot from last July until a couple weeks ago and I’ve never got an OTA yet.

But I’ve always had the two separate fields on the website, batteryStatusActual showing voltage and batteryFillLevel showing SOC%

(In then JSON, not actually displayed on the page)
Please explain. “ In then JSON”.

OP
OP

stevenschwartz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE GT jeep rubicon
Country flag
So as another update, as the OP. The local Ford dealer did a number of drain tests on the 12 volt, and apparently isolated the problem to a faulty "Body Control Module." That is being replaced.

theganyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
In my case, I’ve not seen the issue again since having the car in and them applying some updates. They found no issues with the battery.

OP
OP

stevenschwartz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE GT jeep rubicon
Country flag
Had car back a couple of days. Seems fine (but of course it did before as well. Until it didn't. Apparently there really was a problem with this BCM (body control module.) They checked the draw on it, and it should be between 0 and 10 mAmps when the car is off and at times it was as much as 250 mAmps. After replacement, it is where it should be. Whether this fixes it or not, I was impressed with the way the Ford dealer handled it. My brother has had ongoing issues with a Lexus EV - they just make some minor fix (like replacing the 12V batter) and tell him all is fine, and 2 weeks later the car is toast again.
Sponsored