MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
I had a pre-reveal Model 3 reservation, but was extremely disappointed that Tesla refused to have them in the showroom when my number came up. One year ago, a salesperson let me test drive a Model 3 Dual Motor Over a weekend. Honestly, it was perhaps the most fun on four wheels that I’ve ever had. However, I have three kids and spouse and live in Minnesota. Dual motor/4-wheel drive is not an option. At 6’3”, the backseat of Model 3 is cramped. I was right to pass, both times.

While the 7-seat Model Y has a appeal... I fear it too will also be cramped.

Honestly, my background is Buick’s. While I had a beater F-150 and my wife had a Focus... I cannot say that I’m a Ford guy. I did rent a Mustang in California for a long weekend about six years ago and it was a blast.

Something about Ford’s approach with Mach-e does resonate.

So, now a First Edition Mach-e reservation awaits and already I’ve checked with Ford Marketing. They told me, “There will be one in the dealership when you confirm your order.” Kudos to Ford! That is the proper way to do business.

I saw the test drive where the guy said, it was one pedal driving... Does anyone here know if the Mach-e has the equivalent of regenerative braking? Is there a sun shade for that big glass and/or full UV protection?
So far the way Ford is handling the Mach E looks to be on point I believe they did their home work on this and have approached it from a different perspective than the ICE cars of the past.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I'm curious how the 2nd row headroom numbers will compare. The Mach-E seems to carry the roof higher, the Y seems like it could be tight for an adult.

HRG
A six foot 6 inch Ford engineer was used to design sufficient headroom in the back row.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
A link to a video comparing what is known to date about the Mach-E and the Tesla Model Y is below.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
One of the articles I read said that a Ford dealer would be able to have 95% of Mach E parts within 24 hours. I know one of the biggest issues with Tesla is the availability of parts and timelines of repairs.
There is a MUCH bigger issue. In the event of an accident you HAVE to go to a tesla body shop as they will NOT sell their parts to any body shop like ford will.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To be fair, my 2011 Ford Focus is waiting 3 days for a rear control arm. So there are still gaps but I've heard some more extreme cases for Teslas.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Mach E is one of the better looking designs out there at the moment.

The Y has that Tesla theme. It tries to retain that look but in doing so it looks awkward, and some of the proportions seem a little off. Same with the other two models, the X and the 3. The Model S looks timeless and is well-proportioned - something that people will keep appreciating for a long time. The other Teslas look OK but they don't hit the mark like the S did.

So, Elon noticed this drift; unable to maintain the balance in the design of his cars like he did with Model S, so he thought long and hard about a new design direction and came up with the Cybrtrk.
/Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway....
I actually don't see these "competing" although the specs, price, performance are all similar. They are both vying for a very large, untapped space so I don't see one as a real threat to the other. When you look at what is available with their specs there is nothing else available so its more a case of them both being in a space where demand will outstrip supply. For a while they'll have that segment to themselves. I see them both as great threats, however, to any vehicles, especially SUVs, anywhere near their price.

The other reason I don't think they "compete" is because of the contrast in the type of personalities that would gravitate to them. I'm not saying the Mach E will attract Mustang buyers, rather, it will attract people that love the Mustang but never bought one because of the lack of practicality and user friendliness, and there are many that love the icon which is Mustang. Then you have those who will love it just for it's shape, or for the fact it is a sensibly designed SUV, and it goes without saying, many will buy it because it's a BEV.

On the other hand the Tesla consumers have been buying Teslas because there wasn't any competition. Then there are also the Tesla zealots that swear Elon is the second coming and nothing will sway them from buying anything else.

The Model S caused a great dent in the sales of other luxury marques because it is the next technology, because it was great looking, and last but not least, it is ridiculously fast. It was on it's own in those respects. There was nothing like it. No competition. To a slightly lesser degree the Mach E is tapping in to that. As I've tried to point out in other posts, this is why its a pivotal and crucial vehicle for Ford. It's a case of either get it right 100%, or, if it fails, could prove to be a very costly with a huge detriment to Ford's quest entering that next phase of technology. To ensure its success it would have been suicide not to do what they've done in making it a Mustang. They looked at Tesla, and then they saw others working towards taking Tesla down. They knew this fight was going to get bloody because early dominance and sales momentum is key. They had a fight on their hands so they went back to the shed and pulled out their biggest gun - the Mustang!
I did read or heard that what is happening initially is that Ford is NOT attracting people who were say going to buy a Tesla. What they are doing is selling to people who love Fords. In essence Ford is trying to BRAND the Mache as a Mustang. Just like it did with the F150. It is not a Ford but it is a MUSTANG. From everything that I have read this is the ONLY car made today that can actually compete with Tesla due to many factors but especially distance per charge. All of the others are much less. I also read an interesting independent article that states solely about chargers. Tesla is the Only one with an A up until the mach E. The Ford gets an A+ because it comes free with the car where as Tesla charges for the upgraded 240 connection.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I don't think Model Y has the same battery pack as the Model 3. The Performance Model Y CARB certificate has a range that is worked out to be an EPA guestimated 309 miles. You gotta figure the normal AWD of 320+ miles if that's true.

In a world where range is King, Ford needs to stretch our range out a bit more.
Already done. Ford's own PR interior view reveal a 3.6mile per kW range. Multiple that by the battery pack size and presto, it is over 300 miles. Ford is sandbagging the range a bit.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Already done. Ford's own PR interior view reveal a 3.6mile per kW range. Multiple that by the battery pack size and presto, it is over 300 miles. Ford is sandbagging the range a bit.

I really hope so

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not sure if you can rely on that: If that is just a dash gauge it is likely part of a trip meter and thus is showing an average of how the car was last driven.

We don't know how that car was driven: it could have been on the track, or it could have been slowly driven from display to display....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tesla has announced the Model Y LR AWD will have a range of 315 miles. That's significantly more than equivalent Mustang Mach-E AWD ER.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Tesla has announced the Model Y LR AWD will have a range of 315 miles. That's significantly more than equivalent Mustang Mach-E AWD ER.
I'm not so sure. It is clear that Tesla has been taking chances with the amount of battery buffer they reserve, given how they keep changing the range with S/W updates (even limiting range in one of the recent updates). Since Ford has simply stated that the car has a 75 or 98 kwhr battery with a "targeted" range pending EPA testing (and presumably tweaks) and without disclosing their battery buffer, I don't know that I would concede Tesla's "significant" range advantage yet.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm not so sure. It is clear that Tesla has been taking chances with the amount of battery buffer they reserve, given how they keep changing the range with S/W updates (even limiting range in one of the recent updates). Since Ford has simply stated that the car has a 75 or 98 kwhr battery with a "targeted" range pending EPA testing (and presumably tweaks) and without disclosing their battery buffer, I don't know that I would concede Tesla's "significant" range advantage yet.
315 > 270
I'm really hoping that Ford's conservative development promises translate to an EPA range of 300 miles or more. As it stands now, the Model Y will have more range and far faster charging. It's not a selling point for Ford.
Sponsored