Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
*opinion alert; you are forewarned*

BLUF: Automakers do not give out things for free. Either they plan to charge for future updates, or they will let the previous year wither on the vine and push the better goodies to next year's model to incentivize upgrading.

Although the extra capacity would be nice, we're still dealing with one of the big three. These are the companies that made "planned obsolescence" a thing. Unless they are planning to introduce a paid update service along side (or embed within) their existing subscription offerings, what incentive do they have to continue to update last year's model? With a yearly release schedule, they are hard at work planning the upgrades for the next sales year, not worrying as much (if at all) about the cars they have already sold short of warranty work. Sure it is good PR to promise OTA updates, but did they ever say how long those updates would be rolled out? The '19 Mustang Bullitt I owned was sold with the capability to do OTAs, but it never received any. Why not? Because there was no incentive to do so. Sure I'd like to see them commit to keep supporting the vehicles they've already sold and am hopeful they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

And now back to our regularly scheduled forum topic...
I disagree with your opinion. Ford sold us on a car that would receive software updates and get better over time. I believe that they have an obligation to give us regular software updates to keep us as current a possible for at least the next few years. Letting a car die on the vine after 1 year is bad bad bad. I would have bought a Tesla instead. At least I can expect regular updates with a Model 3 or Model Y.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have long believed Ford would use the increase in capacity to sell new model year cars. And as others have said, we purchased the range we purchased, and as long as Ford delivers that, we have no good reason to complain. However, I will complain about this anyway. ;-)

When they increase the capacity of usable battery, I assume there will be a related module update we can perform with FDRS. Or do I misunderstand how FDRS works? Does Ford only make module updates available to specific VINs? I doubt there are any hardware changes between 2021 and 2022, so it should just be module software, right?
In previous models the calibrations can be loaded and altered. If the same holds true for the Mach-E then a 2022 calibration should work fine in a 2021 model. Not sure though. I won't know until my warranty is up. :p

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I disagree with your opinion. Ford sold us on a car that would receive software updates and get better over time. I believe that they have an obligation to give us regular software updates to keep us as current a possible for at least the next few years. Letting a car die on the vine after 1 year is bad bad bad. I would have bought a Tesla instead. At least I can expect regular updates with a Model 3 or Model Y.
I disagree.....but I understand your point of view. I am quite happy with the car as it is currently. It is interesting that we have such different expectations. Must be hard for Ford (or anyone else for that matter. ) to meet everyone's expectations.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The improved charging curve update is already available via FDRS for Job 1 cars.
I saw that in one of the FDRS threads. But not yet for GT models as far as I know.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I saw that in one of the FDRS threads. But not yet for GT models as far as I know.
Right, the GTs are all Job 2. But since the improved charging curve has already become available for Job 1, I have no doubt it will come to Job 2 cars as well.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
One reason to not do it... either way they have to honor the battery warranty, and if the software change increases how many batteries they have to replace then why give it to people who already bought it, they are not paying for the increased price that comes with the 2022 models.

That said, I am still expecting Ford to make it available but it will not surprise me if they don't, and not going to like the Mach E and less without it (unless I get stranded somewhere or just a few miles short of a charger on a better route).
Wouldn't the originally advertised range be the baseline for the warranty? Extending the range should mean less warranty claims.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company, can you shed some light on this, or otherwise put these rumors to rest?
Are us 2021 Mach-E owners left behind, or are we going to get the unlocked additional battery capacity, like the '22s?
All your time here and you actually @'d them ?

Here let me preemptively respond for them:

"Hi there! That doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Mustang Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern."

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have long believed Ford would use the increase in capacity to sell new model year cars. And as others have said, we purchased the range we purchased, and as long as Ford delivers that, we have no good reason to complain. However, I will complain about this anyway. ;-)

When they increase the capacity of usable battery, I assume there will be a related module update we can perform with FDRS. Or do I misunderstand how FDRS works? Does Ford only make module updates available to specific VINs? I doubt there are any hardware changes between 2021 and 2022, so it should just be module software, right?
The hardware is identical. If Ford doesn't make it available, an aftermarket tuner will eventually.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

BLUF: Automakers do not give out things for free. Either they plan to charge for future updates, or they will let the previous year wither on the vine and push the better goodies to next year's model to incentivize upgrading.

Although the extra capacity would be nice, we're still dealing with one of the big three. These are the companies that made "planned obsolescence" a thing. Unless they are planning to introduce a paid update service along side (or embed within) their existing subscription offerings, what incentive do they have to continue to update last year's model? With a yearly release schedule, they are hard at work planning the upgrades for the next sales year, not worrying as much (if at all) about the cars they have already sold short of warranty work. Sure it is good PR to promise OTA updates, but did they ever say how long those updates would be rolled out? The '19 Mustang Bullitt I owned was sold with the capability to do OTAs, but it never received any. Why not? Because there was no incentive to do so. Sure I'd like to see them commit to keep supporting the vehicles they've already sold and am hopeful they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If one make lets their customers "whither on the vine", they're going to get a bad reputation pretty quick.

Hasn't Tesla done free upgrades for their customers?

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
Meh. If it becomes a need then I will root the car and see what I can do to activate it. And then set it up so it only reports good things to others who query. In the grand scheme of things I would rather have more free charging on the so-called Ford Oval network especially considering the price of the GTPE that is sitting in the garage right now.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
All your time here and you actually @'d them ?

Here let me preemptively respond for them:

"Hi there! That doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Mustang Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern."
Lol, the way I see it -- the more attention drawn to this, the better for all of us.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Keep in mind, their main EV competitor, as stated by the CEO, is Tesla, who has made an impact by offering regular updates on cars that are 5, 6, or more years old. Kinda the way software products work in general.

Ford is trying to compete with that, so they'd better offer something similar.
This is new to them, I'll give it that, but it's still one of their weaknesses.
Mass producing a consistently quality car, however, is not a weakness of Ford.

EDIT: Added the clarifier "EV".

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I was sold on the car for a number of reasons, one of which was being told meaningful software updates would improve the car over time. I'm happy with the car as is, BUT I am taking mental notes on what was said by Ford and what was actually delivered over time. When time time comes to buy another car that is when I'll tally up what I would consider a broken promise, and proceed accordingly. I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt (which isn't like me at all), time will tell if I got burned by it.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Keep in mind, their main EV competitor, as stated by the CEO, is Tesla, who has made an impact by offering regular updates on cars that are 5, 6, or more years old. Kinda the way software products work in general.

Ford is trying to compete with that, so they'd better offer something similar.
This is new to them, I'll give it that, but it's still one of their weaknesses.
Mass producing a consistently quality car, however, is not a weakness of Ford.

EDIT: Added the clarifier "EV".
Yeah, but they’ll already lose that since all the dealer updates say you have to be within the 3 year warranty so I’m assuming over the airs will follow suit since there are issues with OTA and you sometimes have to go to a dealer. Hopefully when we get closer to first owner warranties coming up, they’ll have nailed down OTA and stated they’ll still get them.
Sponsored