2022 cyber orange stolen from my driveway (FOUND) [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Kaskaskia 309

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MACH-E AWD 2018 VOLT
Occupation
IBEW retired member
Country flag
As a former mach- edsel owner, I think you came out smelling like a rose.
An insurance settlement is far better than making a payment on a negative value car.
Sponsored

PonyTail

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium RWD Red; 2018 Lexus es
Country flag
My friend, ex-cop, still insists on Clubs. So my husband insists on using a Club. He bought one for my car but I refused to use it. Maybe I’ve changed my mind. It’s a pain but you do get used to it and as my husband says it’s a visual deterrent to get thieves to move on. Usually it’s in my locked garage in a gated community but his truck is in the driveway..

Anvil Jr.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach e Select
Country flag
We have our FOBs in a shielded box we got off Amazon for cheap. That leads me to a question regarding the PAAK. Are the crooks able to perform the relay attack on a phone? I haven’t been able to find the answer to this.

Last edited:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Depends on how much damage is done in the driveway really.
If they carve up the dash for some stupid reason wiring is trashed. Not sure I want my car being reharnessed as there’s far to many things to replace and it’ll take forever, and the parts probably don’t exist (see the current month long wait for a IPC).
If they pry the doors open, that’s paint and body time. Odds that gets done right are thin and again weeks + wait times. Does the insurance co provide a rental? If not you’re out the car and out the rental while the body shop waits for weeks to get a foam gasket for the mirror.
Sadly we’re really starting to get to a time if I get in a fender bender I’d almost rather take the loss now than deal with it for months and then try to sell/trade a car damaged.
I’m still trying to figure out what thief's are doing with stolen MME’s. Joy riding? Or stripping.
EXCUSE ME, they prefer the term "exotic dancing" and they are providing a valuable service to vulnerable populations!

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My friend, ex-cop, still insists on Clubs. So my husband insists on using a Club. He bought one for my car but I refused to use it. Maybe I’ve changed my mind. It’s a pain but you do get used to it and as my husband says it’s a visual deterrent to get thieves to move on. Usually it’s in my locked garage in a gated community but his truck is in the driveway..
They’re easy enough to use, but honestly lots of thieves know how to disable them. My wife used one on her Miata that someone disabled while trying to steal her car. Luckily my wife was up feeding or geriatric cat and when she turned the lights on, the thieves left. (We know this from security camera footage.)

the golden eel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Curious, talking about keeping your fobs in a faraday bag. If you only use PAAK for your key is that as susceptible to these types of thefts? I can't get into the car half the time with PAAK so I'm assuming it doesn't constantly send out a signal like the fob does.
I would like to know the answer to this as well. If someone could expand on this I would appreciated it.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
I recently hid Air Tags in both of our vehicles, after disabling the speaker in them to make them much harder to locate. It will take a long time, if ever, for a thief to locate them they are hidden so well. It's not a foolproof way to locate a stolen car, but at around $20 ea, plus a yearly battery change, it's cheap insurance.

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That's a REALLY good question. It needs to do 2FA so the car can't be reset without your help. I get that people will sell a car and forget to reset it ... but it shouldn't be trivial to reset. The idea is ... you want to make sure it takes long enough that the previous owner would have time to report it as stolen and ... it should be possible to block it from being reset.
Honestly, it's a hard problem. Sure, the owner should be able to track their stolen car. But someone escaping from an abusive relationship should be able to turn that tracking off.

Maybe they could make it so if you turn off tracking, the data is still submitted to Ford but doesn't show up in the app but can be requested by law enforcement. Still doesn't help when law enforcement won't bother, though.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Bets on how long this thread lasts if it starts getting more political...
Political?
DAs in many communities refuse to prosecute car theft. The thieves here are released on their own recognizance w/o any prosecution by the DA. They immediately steal three or more cars upon their release. They even give news media interviews describing and bragging about their exploits. They compete with each other on numbers of stolen cars.
However, recent trends are changing. Some jurisdictions now have auto theft teams which are focused on people who steal multiple cars and grand juries are indicting then.
Colorado has the worst vehicle theft rate.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recently hid Air Tags in both of our vehicles, after disabling the speaker in them to make them much harder to locate. It will take a long time, if ever, for a thief to locate them they are hidden so well. It's not a foolproof way to locate a stolen car, but at around $20 ea, plus a yearly battery change, it's cheap insurance.
Did the same thing. One hidden and one in a cup holder that I hope they find and think it's the only one. P.S Wrap them in cellophane. It kills the sound without loosing range.

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
A good post I read above is to hide two in each car.

OP
OP
NachoCheez

NachoCheez

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium, 21 Tesla Y
Occupation
Sports Medicine
Country flag
Just got a call, it's been found - It's in modesto at a tow yard and there's damage. Tow yard was closed and police werent helpful with any other details. Progressive will go out tomorrow and determine whether to zero it, tow it back to a body shop or have me come get it.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It's called key relay theft. https://leasing.com/guides/relay-car-theft-what-is-it-and-how-can-you-avoid-it/

We don't have PAAK in the UK so rely on the key. We even don't have Mustang keys and have been given bog standard Fiesta keys. The difference? The Mustang key is always transmitting a signal so the car knows when you are close to it. The Fiesta key stops transmitting a signal when no movement is detected for a certain length of time. Obviously it starts to transmit again when you pick it up to go to the car.

It's too late for the OP but one of these would be helpful https://www.amazon.co.uk/car-key-signal-blocker-pouch/s?k=car+key+signal+blocker+pouch

Obviously look on the Amazon U.S. site for the U.S.
I have to say that Europe moves a lot faster with various vehicle regulations.
oops, we accidentally made cars easier to steal with keyless fobs. Europe-let’s just disable the fob when it’s not moving. USA- I see no problem here!
you know the US still doesn’t have immobilizer keys on motorcycles.
Sponsored