[4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
That was my thought as well. I guess we would need some warmer weather owners to chime in, or if some of the folks that mentioned not noticing any noise are in very cold areas right now that might remove that variable from the equation
I am sure North Texas owners can test it out as it is going to be a balmy 25 deg day
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've taken Marlin up to 90 and have not noticed any noise from the glass roof. In fact, what amazes me is how quiet it is.

As far as the roof is concerned, I just shot some pics and it seems the roof fit is similar to yours. The glass roof is higher than both the windshield and back window, so there is a pronounced step up. The glass roof is noticeably lower than the roof rails, I'm sure for aerodynamics.

Front
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6648

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6650

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6652

BacK
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6647

Side
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6657

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
I've taken Marlin up to 90 and have not noticed any noise from the glass roof. In fact, what amazes me is how quiet it is.

As far as the roof is concerned, I just shot some pics and it seems the roof fit is similar to yours. The glass roof is higher than both the windshield and back window, so there is a pronounced step up. The glass roof is noticeably lower than the roof rails, I'm sure for aerodynamics.

Front
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_6657

BacK

Side
Thanks Coral that was very thorough. It does look similar to mine. I think I need to find another one I can ride in or drive to compare

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Have not noticed any noise and have gone up to 80+ MPH. Agree with Mark that what's mostly noticeable about the noise is how little there is. But less than 50 miles total so hardly conclusive.

Winds speed and direction might be important. Hasn't been very windy when I've been out.

First Edition

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E - Failure To Launch Edition
Country flag
The panoramic roof should be optional on all models.

Some would rather not deal with the noise, heat, cold, and potential safety problems of the pano roof without a cover.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I notice around 35 mph(radio off) that I start hearing wind noise from the roof. At 80 mph on the highway you definitely notice it.
This matches my observation in my Premium ER AWD. At 35, I can hear it. But it's only barely noticeable. At 70, it's very noticeable.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I'm surprised a sliding shade was not put on this.

Just tested my current vehicle with panoramic roof. Without shade, very noticeable wind. With shade. Silent.

I'm sure it's just a victim of the roof panel. Mine is flat and seemless but still has wind sounds. I just keep the shade closed mostly unless it's nice out.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I would be interested to see how this roof noise compares to the M3, MY on wind noise. I wouldn't want to buy the car with a standard roof but curious if some are out of spec or if this is to be expected with the design (no cover.)

Greddy1

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Grabber Blue First Editio
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I was going to start a thread on this but I'll post a reply here first. I just got my FE and absolutely love the car BUT the wind noise is bothersome. To be so close to perfection I'm stumped. At freeway speeds it's almost annoying but I'm dealing with it. I will try the tape because I'm curious

Greddy1

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Grabber Blue First Editio
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
FYI my brother works for Ford and is going to get me in touch with the service division specific to friends and family which is apparently much more effective than just going to the dealer with issues. I will keep everyone updated. But if any other owners have had similar experiences or even if yours has zero wind noise that I’m describing please share and I can pass that along
I just posted in here my FE definitely has wind noise over 35 mph

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Haven't been able to drive much to notice wind noise or not, but I think my roof fit is similar. Roof is higher than the front and rear windshield. Definitely more of a noticeable height drop from the roof to back though.

Front to roof:
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 20210217_232855

There's a lot of Mexican dust still in those gaps...
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 20210217_233029

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 20210217_232916

Roof to Back:
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 20210217_233100

Video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rnp7EQTCFJzLfMHG6

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
*UPDATE*
I just went for a drive after putting painters tape over the divide and the noise was gone. Even took it to the highway and got up to 92, no noise. I am in contact with Ford’s friends and family customer service team so hopefully I will be able to find a solution and keep everyone posted
That's interesting. And useful. If that fixes it, it sounds like a sealant issue. I wonder if you had water leaking in?

Please keep us posted on what Ford says.

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
That's interesting. And useful. If that fixes it, it sounds like a sealant issue. I wonder if you had water leaking in?

Please keep us posted on what Ford says.
I don’t think the seal was ever bad as I feel like cold air coming through on the highway would be noticeable. The sound definitely is on the outside. What is unknown is if there was a batch of MEs that were sealed with different methods or heights because others have shared the exact same speeds where the noise shows up. I would imagine they could easily create a weather strip to solve the problem otherwise I think they would have to remove and reset the roof which would obviously be a much bigger undertaking. Either way Ford will get it fixed I’m sure of that

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Haven't been able to drive much to notice wind noise or not, but I think my roof fit is similar. Roof is higher than the front and rear windshield. Definitely more of a noticeable height drop from the roof to back though.

Front to roof:
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 20210217_233100

There's a lot of Mexican dust still in those gaps...

Roof to Back:

Video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rnp7EQTCFJzLfMHG6
Just eyeballing it, yours appears to have a smaller step up from mine and others. However, it seems like if at 35-45 you don’t notice it, probably isn’t an issue on your vehicle based on the experiences of myself and others

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I don’t think the seal was ever bad as I feel like cold air coming through on the highway would be noticeable. The sound definitely is on the outside. What is unknown is if there was a batch of MEs that were sealed with different methods or heights because others have shared the exact same speeds where the noise shows up. I would imagine they could easily create a weather strip to solve the problem otherwise I think they would have to remove and reset the roof which would obviously be a much bigger undertaking. Either way Ford will get it fixed I’m sure of that
The problem too is that this issue is very subjective. What might be really noisy for one person, might be considered silent for another. I guess we would need a decibel sound meter to be sure.
Sponsored