Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I haven't seen this posted yet, it's interesting that similar wind noise is prevalent enough with the Model 3 for a company to make a specific product and apparently sell thousands:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I don't think this would work on the Mach-E, as this product is a complete loop, but I'm hoping for a similar hollow-tube method to reduce wind noise without adhesives.

Great video. This is what likely will absolutely work. There may not be air leaking but the effect of wind runner created by glass roof edges making the noise at particularly speed or wind frequency. This type of rubber or silicon tube will fill the space and make noise go away. This avoids messy silicone caulking which will be hard to remove if needed.
Sponsored

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I suffer from the same bias as many - I assume others think like I do.
As you may have gleaned from other posts, I separate car issues into 2 categories, those that are irritating (like wind noise) and those that undermine the vehicle in the eyes of the owner/public to the point where they don't trust it (12v battery, inability to charge at home, propulsion failures, etc.).

I assume Ford is/will prioritize the latter (as would I). This means an official fix isn’t likely in the near future (if at all).

So the question for me becomes, if I can fix it in a manner that doesn’t preclude any subsequent official fix by Ford, why wouldn’t I?

Immediate answers are: might make it worse.... might damage something else.... might preclude the official Ford fix,....might waste $ and time I don’t have to, etc.

I’m confident silicone would work, but it runs afoul of getting in the way of any future Ford solution. .

Inserting a black rubber/foam tube into the gap that is otherwise designed to insulate gaps in vehicles, that costs less than $20, and can be removed in minutes, might afford relief pending Ford action. I’m doing it.
Agree. If an easy, removable fix works (that could also be left in place) then I’d do that and wait for Ford to come up with a fix.

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
I wonder if the wind noise is typical of all cars, but BEV owners hear it because there is no ICE noise?

For sure Ford and Tesla have spent many hours in the wind tunnel, and worked hard to smooth every edge.

GTMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GTPE in DMG
Country flag
It would be interesting to see how big the gap at the back of the glass roof is. Did the glass roof get installed slightly forward and that it causing the wind noise? Just something to think about.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I haven't seen this posted yet, it's interesting that similar wind noise is prevalent enough with the Model 3 for a company to make a specific product and apparently sell thousands:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I don't think this would work on the Mach-E, as this product is a complete loop, but I'm hoping for a similar hollow-tube method to reduce wind noise without adhesives.

Home Depot sells weather stripping that looks similar.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I wonder if the wind noise is typical of all cars, but BEV owners hear it because there is no ICE noise?

For sure Ford and Tesla have spent many hours in the wind tunnel, and worked hard to smooth every edge.
The Mach-E cabin is very quiet, so many noises that would not be noticed in other vehicles will be noticed in the Mach-E.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
There are a lot of people in this thread who are wanting/willing to hand wave this wind noise issue that have not experienced the wind noise issue.

The first time I rode along in a pre-production MME, with a driver who was driving in a pretty alarming/aggressive way, within 30 seconds of being on the road, the sound was not only apparent or noticeable, but bad and loud. There was no quiet cabin to maybe/possibly notice more wind noise, there was a definite problem with that car. I had to raise my voice so the driver could hear me on a 40-50 mph road. I was really disappointed too. I was excited about the MME, but my first experience was a less than 5 minute test drive where the driver drove like an asshole, and the car sounded CHEAP inside.

This is something that is probably pretty rare, as it sounds like most people are luckily not experiencing the issue. However, when my car (finally) comes in, if I hear this noise on the test ride I am going to have to make a decision. It seems like the type of issue that dealers/Ford are going to point at being subjective, but what I experienced on my test ride was undoubtedly a car that was not right.

I'm not an automotive engineer, so I can't diagnose what was wrong with it, but I hope for owners who have taken delivery Ford does come up with a good fix and soon.

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
The more I drive it the more surprised I am that this made it to production without being noticed. For those that don’t have the issue or a MME yet, it is the same sound as when you are driving on the highway and there is a strong gust of wind. Now imagine that sound, but it’s constant at as low as 35mph and then gets louder as your speed increases. Interested to see the results of some in the thread that mentioned that they will try the weather stripping as a temporary fix. That won’t effect the integrity of the windshield or roof, be easy to remove once the Ford fix is ready, but be a lot more attractive than just putting the tape on as I did to hear the cabin as it is meant to be heard....without this sound

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Mine definitely sits higher than most other MMEs seem to...
The more I drive it the more surprised I am that this made it to production without being noticed. For those that don’t have the issue or a MME yet, it is the same sound as when you are driving on the highway and there is a strong gust of wind. Now imagine that sound, but it’s constant at as low as 35mph and then gets louder as your speed increases. Interested to see the results of some in the thread that mentioned that they will try the weather stripping as a temporary fix. That won’t effect the integrity of the windshield or roof, be easy to remove once the Ford fix is ready, but be a lot more attractive than just putting the tape on as I did to hear the cabin as it is meant to be heard....without this sound
Hang in there. The dealership called and said they solved my 12volt electric brick issue (and it only took them 32 hours). Once I have my car back I plan to stop at granger and pick up the rubber/foam tubing I ordered - a few different types and diameters. I’ll let you know what (if anything) mitigates our issue.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
Mine definitely doesn’t have the wind sound problem, I can have a whispering conversation in the car at 75mph. Im pretty sure Ford is working hard since first delivery, dont lose hope!

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Mine definitely sits higher than most other MMEs seem to...

Hang in there. The dealership called and said they solved my 12volt electric brick issue (and it only took them 32 hours). Once I have my car back I plan to stop at granger and pick up the rubber/foam tubing I ordered - a few different types and diameters. I’ll let you know what (if anything) mitigates our issue.
Excited to hear the results. I’m not that worried that Ford will fix the issue especially since they gave my service rep a corporate answer that suggests they are aware of and working on the problem. More so just how this got to market unless it’s an assembly issue

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The materials I procured will not work.

I inserted a 3/16 rubber cord designed to withstand major heat/cold/vibration into the gap. It just disappeared into a “cavern“ beneath the windshield that I didn’t know existed.

Said another way, as I inserted the cord, instead of just lying in the gap between the roof and windshield (as I expected), it began to travel down/beneath the windshield. It literally just disappeared into a larger gap (not visible from the top) that I did no know existed. i stopped the insertion process and pulled it back out.

A “friction-mounted” large cell foam insulating tube should work. I’ve ordered one and will let you know the results....

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
The materials I procured will not work.

I inserted a 3/16 rubber cord designed to withstand major heat/cold/vibration into the gap. It just disappeared into a “cavern“ beneath the windshield that I didn’t know existed.

Said another way, as I inserted the cord, instead of just lying in the gap between the roof and windshield (as I expected), it began to travel down/beneath the windshield. It literally just disappeared into a larger gap (not visible from the top) that I did no know existed. i stopped the insertion process and pulled it back out.

A “friction-mounted” large cell foam insulating tube should work. I’ve ordered one and will let you know the results....
That definitely does not sound right. I'm no engineer, but I'd assume that big gap would create a lot of wind turbulence (i.e., noise). Almost sounds like there is a part (or some type of insulation) missing.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hmmm. I've noticed around the back glass at the bottom, there is a pretty good area under the glass where it goes back under the glass where water and stuff can build up. Its like the actual seal is set back away from the edge of the glass.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2