Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The word “free” was not used.
IIRC, in the Twitter talk one of them mentioned an inexpensive adapter in the hundreds of dollar range (paraphrasing). To me, that’s not free and definitely not inexpensive. 🤷‍♂️🐩
Sponsored

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Here’s the exact quote. I’ll let others draw their own conclusions. You can go back to cynical keyboard warrioring.

Now, during an interview with CNBC, Farley also revealed that all existing Ford EV owners will receive NACS (North American Charging Standard) adapters, too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adapter theft concern for Tesla NACS > CCS {filename}“We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”
this is interesting. Does that mean that Tesla will be like EA with a pricing plan? If so that would be awesome. Ergo does not hear in Cali and costs $0.50 per KWH. EA paying $4.00 a month is $0.36 versus $0.48. One fill up pays the monthly fee.

my understanding is that Tesla does NOT have a pricing plan. I have been told it is like Evgo at $0.50.

will I buy an adapter? Absolutely. I like the ability to have access to every possible charging spot since many are either full due to manufactures offering FREE charging for a period of time so these Hyundais and Volkswagen charge to 100% because they just do NOT care about others. EA REFUSES to charge fees after 80%. If they did charging would be so much more customer friendly experience. I say this as I sit next to a Lightening that says PLEASE UNPLUG but the owner is no where to be found.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
What I do not understand is how does ford make a profit on this??
Easy. An arm and a leg for a Blue Oval Charging Network subscription. And yes, that’ll be on top of the $800 for BC.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
Can anyone link an example of the adapter? I only see the other direction to allow Tesla cars in CCS chargers.
they exist in the form of a Magic Dock part right now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adapter theft concern for Tesla NACS > CCS tesla-magic-dock

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The adapters people are using for price comparison are the CCS -> Tesla adapters, believing a similar adapter the other way would have similar copper, similar plastic, similar computer inside. It's not a stupid guess.
CCS1 -> Tesla adapters are $175 from Tesla and $164 from Lectron.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
First, NACS to CCS adapters have been in the $350 to $400 range for a long time,
That's a shocker to me. I'm not aware of any NACS -> CCS1 adapters available for sale. Please post a link to one. I'd love to get one.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Easy. An arm and a leg for a Blue Oval Charging Network subscription. And yes, that’ll be on top of the $800 for BC.
I hate BC. At least here in southern Cali. It is on-off-on. Until I can sleep and drive I will not pay for BC. I keep my hand on the steering wheel regardless. The adaptive cruise is awesome. Take my hands off the steering wheel for $800?? That is the ONLY difference. Makes no sense.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here’s the exact quote. I’ll let others draw their own conclusions. You can go back to cynical keyboard warrioring.

Now, during an interview with CNBC, Farley also revealed that all existing Ford EV owners will receive NACS (North American Charging Standard) adapters, too.

“We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”
While it's certainly possible, I would take the exact wording in an interview with a little bit of a grain of salt, and rely more on the actual written releases that are more carefully worded. Sometimes the context is a little different in an interview, and they say something in answer to a question that isn't as precise as they really meant it as.

The official announcement left it more wide open: "Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence".

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

Not that I'm worried about it either way. A few hundred dollars for an adapter is a small price to pay for a $60k car to double the DCFC coverage for us, at probably 10-fold the dependability.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

“We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”
Considering this exact and written and pre-approved announcement, I'm still uncertain if the adapters will be free.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adapter theft concern for Tesla NACS > CCS IMG_0191

It may be "free" with BOCN subscription just like your phone is "free" with a 2-year mobile plan.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Considering this exact and written and pre-approved announcement, I'm still uncertain if the adapters will be free.
Which makes sense, since they said it's yet to be shared.

Not that the speculation game won't continue, of course. 😎

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hate BC. At least here in southern Cali. It is on-off-on. Until I can sleep and drive I will not pay for BC. I keep my hand on the steering wheel regardless. The adaptive cruise is awesome. Take my hands off the steering wheel for $800?? That is the ONLY difference. Makes no sense.
Until BC 1.2 is distributed to your vehicle the feature will always disable in ~40degree curves, for example. The next update fixes that, I understand, and brings some other features like turn-signal actuated automated lane changes. Sleeping while driving/riding will require that you live in the Jetson's era (exaggeration), I expect, so I wouldn't be looking for that anytime soon.

While $800/year is a bit rich for my taste, at a lower price point the ability to drive hands-free on a highway is a major advancement, IMHO. I just did a 3+hour excursion yesterday, and the "killer app" was realized when there was 5 mile backup on an Interstate going about 5-10m/hour or less. Being able to relax with the vehicle handling the tedium of stop and go in that pace was highly welcome. Occasionally, we'd come to a complete stop and I'd just have to press the "continue" button on the wheel to start moving again with no further interventions with the wheel, brakes, or accelerator. Otherwise, hands-free at highway cruising speed is a great stress reducer just like accelerator cruise-control.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
A lot of people say the reason they bought a Tesla was because of the charging network. Now people may buy a Ford for that reason.
I said this about a week ago. Soccer moms/dads must have confidence they are going to make it to the out of town game every time. If they aren’t 100% sure, they will buy a less risky car. This is about driver confidence. The future is being strangled by the current state of the charging network. Another data point, look what happened during the big freeze this year. Whose charging networks were collapsing? Not Tesla’s.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Sleeping while driving/riding will require that you live in the Jetson's era (exaggeration), I expect, so I wouldn't be looking for that anytime soon.
The Jetsons takes place in 2062. There's a chance we'll have full level-five self-driving cars by then. But we will never have them as soon as ANY estimate by Elon Musk.

Ironically, the flying cars of the Jetsons will likely happen first. This is a little counterintuitive, but a self-flying vehicle is A LOT easier to do safely (assuming decent flying weather) than a self-driving car. That extra third dimension of mobility means everything when it comes to crash avoidance. Companies like Joby and Archer Aviation will be flying certified eVTOL aircraft next year - with human pilots at first. The planes will be doing the flying automagically within a few years.

George Jetson, if he exists in real life, would be about 11 months old right this moment. He "was" born on July 31st, 2022.

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Jetsons takes place in 2062. There's a chance we'll have full level-five self-driving cars by then. But we will never have them as soon as ANY estimate by Elon Musk.

Ironically, the flying cars of the Jetsons will likely happen first. This is a little counterintuitive, but a self-flying vehicle is A LOT easier to do safely (assuming decent flying weather) than a self-driving car. That extra third dimension of mobility means everything when it comes to crash avoidance. Companies like Joby and Archer Aviation will be flying certified eVTOL aircraft next year - with human pilots at first. The planes will be doing the flying automagically within a few years.

George Jetson, if he exists in real life, would be about 11 months old right this moment. He "was" born on July 31st, 2022.
Awesome background, information, and analysis!

"George Jetson is an average man. He has trouble with his boss, he has problems with his kids, and so on. The only difference is that he lives in the next century."
[....next century relative to the era of the story's origin, but certainly in this century currently]
Sponsored