mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You know, this could all be solved with a UI update. Ford should consider taking Tesla's approach where the Frunk/Hatch release buttons appear on the main display when the car is placed in Park and unlocked. Add to that, an option to auto-unlock the doors when the car is put in Park and BAM... anytime the car is in Park, you have instant access to the releases. Just sayin'......

frunktrunk.jpg
But often I want to open it after opening the door, which turns off the display. A physical button is the best solution. That said, your idea is definitely better than the way it is now.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I finally did this mod - replaced the max defrost with a hatch button. I love it! Thank you @markboris for coming up with the original idea and posting the how-to! And a special thank you to @i8iridium for coming up with the max defrost replacement approach!

You guys rock, and this forum rocks!

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I had to take @markboris's idea a step farther. Where you tap into the BCM is the same as the button on the rear hatch, I can't pop it when I'm inside and the door is locked with the vehicle running. This might be a very small minority of people, but it affects me. 😂

I investigated a 2021 escape wiring diagram to find out where it's button connects to and found it's on the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) pin 19, which is not so conveniently located inside the rear hatch. Anyway, since I was working on my rear camera for my dash cam, I ran a wire the whole way from the back to the headlight switch. It works perfectly just like it came stock!

Car on, door locked - button works
car off, door locked - button disabled after security arms
car off, door unlocked - button works

image2.jpg
image4.jpeg
One step closer a perfect car become ideal. Hey @FordMotorCompany, hope someday would be figured out how to add camera and auto hold physical button as well.
Big thanks for @markboris and @i8iridium for provided information. I followed @i8iridium instructions to add the button.
It’s works fine, only one thing I noticed. After opening and closing the trunk If the car is running, you’re without fob or phone the shift to drive become restricted and the car will ask to reintroduce the password. It’s not a big deal but anyway it was surprised to find this.
Also want to mention it’s works just by pressing. It’s making me a little bit worried about to open the trunk by accidentally touching the button. Is it possible to convert from press to press&hold?

Last edited:

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This was the best hack for the Mach-e ever, THANKS!!

Now about that parking button 🙄
What about that parking button?

Camera activation … really missing this feature in my MME.
I spent a couple of days about 6 months ago looking at the Image Processing Module in the repair manual wiring diagrams for both the Mach-E and F-150 which have the same wiring except the F-150 had an extra lead coming from the Camera switch on the dash going to the module. It is just a short to ground and I have attached a pin in the connector of the Mach-E's module in the same location as the F-150's. Shorting it to ground however does not turn on the camera. I am thinking I may need to use Forscan to activate this some way but have not had the time to look into it further. I will have a bit more time on my hands when winter gets here.

Rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
What about that parking button?

I think it’s even more ridiculous than the max defrost. I mean, it’s an ok feature that I’ve used, but of all the things you could make a button for….

I would even think the max defrost could have gone there in its place.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
I'm about to take this a step farther. Ordered a headlight switch from a Bronco with No Foglights, instead of a max defrost, there's a hatch button. I don't see myself ever using the max defrost over on that side.
Part number: M1PZ11654AA. Pin Number 12 would go to your BCM connection.

edit: the 2021 explorer might have a more accurate picture on the hatch button.

IMG-0467.jpg
I'm a little confused.... the Ford Bronco doesn't have a tailgate release on any model. My Ford Bronco has side lights in place of this button (two separate smaller buttons for left and right mirror lights). I can only assume you meant Bronco Sport??? Two different vehicles.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
I'm a little confused.... the Ford Bronco doesn't have a tailgate release on any model. My Ford Bronco has side lights in place of this button (two separate smaller buttons for left and right mirror lights). I can only assume you meant Bronco Sport??? Two different vehicles.
Yes, that's a part number for a Bronco Sport.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Yes, that's a part number for a Bronco Sport.
Cool! I actually blame Ford for the confusion as they should have never confused so many people with calling it a "Bronco Sport"... In reality the "Bronco II" would have been a better and more historically accurate choice for the smaller Bronco. Lots of various reasons over on the Bronco forum so wont get into why on here ;) but in the end I think it did both vehicles some disservice.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Tomayto, tomahto

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Tomayto, tomahto
Not if one wanted to look up the part number and ordered the wrong part based on recalling "Bronco". Would be a nasty surprise as according to OP the other type of switches don't work for releasing lift gate. Besides its not anymore a Bronco than the Explorer. Have you compared both vehicles? Its like comparing a Jeep Cherokee to a Jeep Wrangler.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Not if one wanted to look up the part number and ordered the wrong part based on recalling "Bronco". Would be a nasty surprise as according to OP the other type of switches don't work for releasing lift gate. Besides its not anymore a Bronco than the Explorer. Have you compared both vehicles? Its like comparing a Jeep Cherokee to a Jeep Wrangler.
Firstly, if you're looking up the part by bronco and the parts counter is going to ask you to specify which one or provide a vin. At that point you got a 50/50 shot. If as you say the regular Bronco doesn't have it, it's going to be pretty clear. I found the part very easily not knowing the difference between the two.

Secondly, I provided the part number that should take you to the part. Or to the superseded part if that happens.

As for the Jeep Cherokee vs a Wrangler your argument doesn't jive here. This is the custom world. F150 -> Explorer -> Mach E -> Bronco shares a lot of parts, and you can make them work in each other if you want to, as seen above and in other threads. I have many years of experience in doing that, so I understand the differences and nuances in ALL of them. But you said your piece and I said mine.

For the 4 people that care on the Mach E forum, there is a difference between the Bronco and Bronco sport. If you want to debate the other differences, take that back to the Bronco forums.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Firstly, if you're looking up the part by bronco and the parts counter is going to ask you to specify which one or provide a vin. At that point you got a 50/50 shot. If as you say the regular Bronco doesn't have it, it's going to be pretty clear. I found the part very easily not knowing the difference between the two.

Secondly, I provided the part number that should take you to the part. Or to the superseded part if that happens.

As for the Jeep Cherokee vs a Wrangler your argument doesn't jive here. This is the custom world. F150 -> Explorer -> Mach E -> Bronco shares a lot of parts, and you can make them work in each other if you want to, as seen above and in other threads. I have many years of experience in doing that, so I understand the differences and nuances in ALL of them. But you said your piece and I said mine.

For the 4 people that care on the Mach E forum, there is a difference between the Bronco and Bronco sport. If you want to debate the other differences, take that back to the Bronco forums.
Wow well you sure did say your "peace". Excuse me for correcting the wrong car. I said my peace above which blames bad marketing on Ford for calling an Escspe wannabe a Bronco... I thought i was being nice and pointing that out.. What was my concerns you ask? Because I knew people would mix them up just like they did here. When I waited a year for my Bronco to be built you don't know how many people came to me upon seeing the Bronco Sport (which rolled out first) laugh and say how they can't believe i am waiting for that little xxx or xxx... so yeah I may have some personal experience with this.

It seemed the OP agreed and took it in stride so not sure why you are throwing your 2 cents in.

Also keep in mind not everyone is as good or smart as you with ordering car parts. What I stated was factual to help people. Personally your comments here only show your lack of understanding between the two... i win!

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Wow well you sure did say your "peace". Excuse me for correcting the wrong car. I said my peace above which blames bad marketing on Ford for calling an Escspe wannabe a Bronco... I thought i was being nice and pointing that out.. What was my concerns you ask? Because I knew people would mix them up just like they did here. When I waited a year for my Bronco to be built you don't know how many people came to me upon seeing the Bronco Sport (which rolled out first) laugh and say how they can't believe i am waiting for that little xxx or xxx... so yeah I may have some personal experience with this.

It seemed the OP agreed and took it in stride so not sure why you are throwing your 2 cents in.

Also keep in mind not everyone is as good or smart as you with ordering car parts. What I stated was factual to help people. Personally your comments here only show your lack of understanding between the two... i win!
I appreciate the fact that that you felt it was necessary calling out the spelling mistake and it really shows how particular you are, with spelling and your Broncos. I'm really not here to belittle them at all, I'm here to point out that it's not as big of an issue as you seem to think it is. There's 175 posts on this thread before I chimed in today, and an indiscernible amount of folks that had an issue with the Bronco/Bronco Sport button. At this point it's almost easier to just direct people to the Explorer button just to prevent hurt feelings. Nobody from those forums came in here and berated me over it. If you feel like you win, then you can have it. I surely don't want to take that away from you.
Sponsored