Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
One and a half years ago (after reading the well written instructions) I added the rather easy to install momentary switch. I CANNOT believe to this day that this isnā€™t added as a physical switch/standard equipment on new Mach-Eā€™s.
A simple, very cheap part that makes it so much easier to open the hatch vs using the big screen.
One of these days Iā€™ll get my frunk to open electronically.šŸ˜€

TxTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE and 2021 Escape PHEV Titanium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't believe Ford is not reading all this interest in an easy hatch open/close button. Please come up with an OTA that includes it along the top banner like they recently did for the camera "button."

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I can't believe Ford is not reading all this interest in an easy hatch open/close button. Please come up with an OTA that includes it along the top banner like they recently did for the camera "button."
Because you have to make a wiring modification for it to work, it would require a wiring harness change.

I also notice that it requires the car to be unlocked before it will work. I don't think that was a requirement with my other Fords and might seem like a "bug" if implemented without other factors being considered.

TxTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE and 2021 Escape PHEV Titanium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Because you have to make a wiring modification for it to work, it would require a wiring harness change.

I also notice that it requires the car to be unlocked before it will work. I don't think that was a requirement with my other Fords and might seem like a "bug" if implemented without other factors being considered.
Kevin, I thought that since there was already a "button" on an interior screen for the trunk that it could just be replicated on the first screen in the banner area. Just a hope...thanks for your reply. Tom

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Kevin, I thought that since there was already a "button" on an interior screen for the trunk that it could just be replicated on the first screen in the banner area. Just a hope...thanks for your reply. Tom
Oops, I obviously didn't read your message well enough. Sorry about that. Your idea is a very good one.

tobin1920

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
+1 success story, installed the Twidec momentary switch right next to the sub remote volume control below the center arm rest. @markboris thank you again for all of your contributions, I love my mach-e even more (by a lot) after following your guides.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Finally made the effort and installed the switch. The hardest partā€¦I am colored blind so the green and brown wires all looked the same. I counted 4 wires that could have been brown. Somebody wrote that it was a really thin wire. So I put a ground wire on an Xacto blade and probed the thinnest ā€œbrownā€ wire and the tailgate opened. Victory!

itā€™s a rubberized switch from Amazon. I put it here so it isnā€™t easily seen.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 080C5D1B-E8C8-4D43-AF9B-D843BA59B31D
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch D483FDF3-3836-40FA-B4CE-6F2E4B74037B

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
May 15th and I finally had a day off where itā€™s above 50Ā° in the garage AND the wife is home. So I got this mod done for her car. Sheā€™s thrilled. Thanks for everyone that contributed to the hive mind to make this simple.

yubbie2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Do the same instructions (brown wire, etc) apply to a 2023 Premium?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I should think so. Ford rarely changes the color coding on their wiring like that. Both my '65 and '20 Mustang's dash lighting for switches and controls are the same, Light Blue with a red stripe. Many other wiring colors are the same also. That said, there can be several brown wires in that connector so you have to make sure you choose the right one. They are not always easy to find when bundled with so many wires.

voerman

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Space White Premium AWD ER MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can verify that the wire color is the same for my '23 with a build date of 11/22. I have the liftgate wired to the (pretty much otherwise worthless) park button. Works great.

Lou

yubbie2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I can verify that the wire color is the same for my '23 with a build date of 11/22. I have the liftgate wired to the (pretty much otherwise worthless) park button. Works great.

Lou
Oh, dang! Now thereā€™s an idea!!! How did you rig that up?

voerman

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Space White Premium AWD ER MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh, dang! Now thereā€™s an idea!!! How did you rig that up?
See Mark's excellent DIY for adding a camera switch here. He tells what wire to cut and connect to on the easily accessible park switch. You just need to connect a wire from the brown liftgate wire to the switch side of the cut green with brown stripe wire on the park switch.

Lou

basilisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Did the i8ridium mod today, works great! Took me slightly under 2 hours. Extracted the button from a donor Ford Explorer switch (LB5Z-11654-SA) that I got on ebay for less than 30 bucks delivered. Overall a pretty straightforward process, Arduino pin header connectors worked great on the switch side, a bit more tricky on the RGTM side. There was one moment that got me sweating bullets for a bit, when everything was connected, the hatch refused to close as if something was obstructing it - but once I put all the trim pieces back and manually closed the hatch, everything just worked as it should. Thank you markboris and i8ridium for the tutorial!
Sponsored

Last edited: