Anyone else scared to update their Mach-e after reaching 36K miles?

JDP That's Me in My MachE

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Premium Extended Range
Country flag
It seems like every time I get an update something else breaks and now that I am over 36K miles, I have to pay Ford to fix these random issues. :/
I've never had anything break after an update. I appreciate Ford improving the car while I sleep semi frequently. The BEST car I have EVER owned and could NOT be HAPPIER!!
Sponsored

JDP That's Me in My MachE

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Premium Extended Range
Country flag
It's a legit concern even on a small scale, and something I hadn't thought about in relation to this car. I worked for a consumer electronics manufacturer that produced a device that rarely rebooted. After a long gap they pushed a new firmware update that forced a reboot. This caused a large portion of devices (IIRC ~10%) to brick because a rarely used sensor that wasn't queried during normal use was queried during the boot sequence. The 10% of devices had failed sensors, and bricked because the firmware refused to proceed with the boot if the sensor didn't respond to the boot query. Most of the failed devices were past the 1 yr warranty and I believe at best the people got a 50% off coupon toward a new device.
What does this have to do with the conversation, at all??

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I seem to remember that you canā€™t buy the Ford extended warranty after your standard warranty expires, but I could be mistaken.
You can buy it till 41k or 41 months of ownership. I was surprised to see that, cause I would have guessed the same as you.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
You can buy it till 41k or 41 months of ownership. I was surprised to see that, cause I would have guessed the same as you.
I am sure it has been posted on this forum, but I would be curious to know if anyone had to pay for a repair on their MME past their warranty from an unusual defect? While I get normal wear and tear would not be covered (tires, wiper blades etc.) I am guessing that Ford would not charge for an unusual item repair/defect?

I could be totally wrong but I have had many cars that needed a repair past warranty and the Company stood behind it if it was a defective part and not from normal wear.

Example, I had a a steering pump go bad and Chevy replaced it at no cost. I also had a head gasket go out 4,000 miles past warranty and Pontiac covered that as well with no questions.

In my personal experience, if it is a rare or known defect the Company usually covers it with or without a warranty.

There are thousands of examples out there and that is why I am rolling the dice on not getting an extended warranty. I think at the end of the day, it is no different than getting an extended warranty on appliances and other electronics. 9 times out of 10 you will save money by just accepting the factory warranty.

My two cents. šŸ˜‰

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No, but Iā€™m not risk adverse. I did get the extended warranty that I donā€™t expect Iā€™ll be needing, but I intend to keep the car for a very long time.

mcondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mache Premium E awd
Country flag
You can buy Ford extended warranty after original expires. I own a 05 Thunderbird and was able to purchase a 3 year extended warranty from a Ford dealer after my CPO warranty expired. Bird was over 10 years old at the time. An inspection ($100) was required.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Most of the bugs and warnings that show up after updates resolve themselves after full reboot. Not something Iā€™d go to the dealer for, itā€™s just because some of the modules get reset and then basically need to get back in sync again to put it simply. The update process is as simple as a Rube Goldberg machine because thereā€™s lots of legacy systems in this first gen product.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
once their warranty ends, they are turning off auto-updates.
That is a terrible idea.

Ford made good on their promise to continue rolling out software updates to prior model years. Other than being slow, itā€™s actually going pretty well. ( some bumps in the road, but as mentioned above, those tend to have been fixed in a subsequent update)

Once the BC 1.3 finally rolls out, then 2021 model owners will essentially have a car that is comparable to a new model in terms of features. How is that not an awesome thing?

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
That is a terrible idea.

Ford made good on their promise to continue rolling out software updates to prior model years. Other than being slow, itā€™s actually going pretty well. ( some bumps in the road, but as mentioned above, those tend to have been fixed in a subsequent update)

Once the BC 1.3 finally rolls out, then 2021 model owners will essentially have a car that is comparable to a new model in terms of features. How is that not an awesome thing?
Totally agree with you.

It seems the more "advice" that I see on this forum, the more I will take it and do the opposite. :cool:

EV's in general are having a host of issues but I haven't heard of anyone getting their car fixed and get charged? Once again, I could be totally wrong but many Companies will try their hardest to not have a recall so they try to "fix" things under the radar when things are defective.

Software updates are a way for them to correct things BEFORE things go sideways.

It would be no different then going to a Dentist and them telling you have a small cavity and then complaining that every time you go to the Dentist things go wrong, hence I will stop going and the cavity gets larger.

Last edited:

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
That annual or monthly charge for Blue Cruise should also cover Ford software glitch recoveries. Plus a well-trained junior technician should be able to fix these things in well under an hour, and by appt.

curtisfinney

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60, Subaru Forestor, 2023 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
"Anyone else scared to update their Mach-e after reaching 36K miles?"

Nope
Agree, not concerned. Iā€™m also the guy that updates his computer and phone as soon as the update is available. Iā€™ve never regretted an update

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
That is a terrible idea.

As long as you are willing to take on the possible cost of any repair to fix a failed update, go ahead and continue to receive auto-updates. But don't say 'It's a terrible idea' without acknowledging there is some risk/cost to doing that.
Sponsored