Backing up to ChargePoint Home Flex

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
No Mach E yet, but planning to buy a ChargePoint Home Flex which comes with a 23’ cable. I’m trying to decide where to mount it. If it was on a wall, and I was backing up to the wall, how close would I have to get to the wall for that cable to reach?

Thanks.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Less than 23 feet.

Cable can't have tension on it.

My JuiceBox 48 is supposed to have a 25' cord. Nope. 23' 8" plus nozzle. Bet yours is similar.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
When I installed charger, I picked a spot where it can reach the car parked outside, next to garage. Not a Bolt, but still....

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I generally recommend installing it near your garage door ... instead of on the far/back wall. This way if your garage is occupied and you ever have to park out in the driveway it will still reach.

The cable easily has enough reach to go forward to the charge port door ... as well as out to the driveway if needed.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
I have my chargepoint next to garage door on the outside so we just pull forward. I use the ford charger when parking in the garage.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We have a 3 car garage. I installed ours so that a BEV could charge in any bay. Dead center, middle bay, back wall. Our cars are always in the garage.

I would have had to run a lot more wire, in conduit, to get anywhere near outside, and then have a possible tripping hazard when plugged in in the garage. There is no single perfect location for everyone. I can always add wire in conduit if I need to move it in the future.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
No Mach E yet, but planning to buy a ChargePoint Home Flex which comes with a 23’ cable. I’m trying to decide where to mount it. If it was on a wall, and I was backing up to the wall, how close would I have to get to the wall for that cable to reach?

Thanks.
Yeah, mine is on the wall near the garage door. I pull forward all the way into the garage, and I only have to take off one loop of two to plug in with plenty of cable on the ground to take off weight. Unless your garage is like two and a half car lengths deep, you should be more than fine.

As someone said above, I too mounted it near the garage door so I could charge outside easily if need be (or if someone I knew desperately needed a charge, they could get it from the driveway.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I have my chargepoint next to garage door on the outside so we just pull forward. I use the ford charger when parking in the garage.
I wonder how good the Charge Point is rated for outdoor mounting. I am not sure on the outdoor mounting for it. So far this is the charger I want (Charge Point). . But it will be mounted in my garage.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I wonder how good the Charge Point is rated for outdoor mounting. I am not sure on the outdoor mounting for it. So far this is the charger I want (Charge Point). . But it will be mounted in my garage.
It is a Level 3 as far as weather goes, forget what the actual rating is called. Basically its fine for most places, but if you get a lot of storms or heavy winds with rain then its not the best choice. A level 4 certified device can take a full out blast of water from a hose, it can also be completely submerged and still works lol

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It is a Level 3 as far as weather goes, forget what the actual rating is called. Basically its fine for most places, but if you get a lot of storms or heavy winds with rain then its not the best choice. A level 4 certified device can take a full out blast of water from a hose, it can also be completely submerged and still works lol
Thanks Bill. I knew there was more to it. I just couldnt remember what it was. ?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I think there are more robust outdoor chargers than CP.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
Well its hardwired and built for outdoor mounting. Its been on the garage for 3+ years no issues.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well its hardwired and built for outdoor mounting. Its been on the garage for 3+ years no issues.
Great. I ordered my Charge Point on Amazon last night. They had them in stock. Be here Thursday. Got no car for it. But I got the charger. ?

OP
OP

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Great. I ordered my Charge Point on Amazon last night. They had them in stock. Be here Thursday. Got no car for it. But I got the charger. ?
Thought about pulling the trigger on the charger too, but then I’d eat up six months of warranty before my car gets here.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Thanks.
I mounted my chargepoint flex on the right side wall of my garage near the garage door, thinking I was going to try an ID.4 next. I drive straight in. After that, and wavering back and forth over MME, I got a MME FE. The charge cord reaches fine around the rear of MME, under the hatch behind the rear wheels down the side to the MME charge port. There is still enough slack to slide some of the cord under by the driver's door so I don't step on the cord when trying something out while it is plugged in. Worst problem is, when I forget if I tuck the cord under the rear too fast, the hatch opens (it thinks someone made the kick gesture).

My older 32A chargepoint is still on the rear wall, MME correct side, but just as back up, I don't use it much anymore. It failed twice under warranty, so I left it as a back up, but the newer chargepoint flex, so far, almost one year now, has been problem free! I am very pleased with it, hardwired it for 11kW/48A.
Sponsored

Last edited: