Best Practice for battery preservation

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I only charge to 100% every couple of months to keep the cells balanced. Other than that I keep it between 15-85% actual.
Unbalanced cells can cause your battery to go from 8-12% down to 2% in a flash. I've read reports of this but have not experienced it.
Sponsored

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
I read in Edmunds comparison between the Tesla model Y,3 and Mach-E that Tesla's are the only company that recommends a 90% daily charge. Not mentioned but I think they use a smaller buffer and leave that top 10% for trips. They also mentioned that Tesla is the only electric car they can't hit the advertised rates with (I get 220 miles out of the Sr+). This is good news for me because it looks like the Mach E GT will be on the top of my very short list.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As a Nissan 2018 Leaf owner, which we all know is fate on wheels with its battery system or lack of one. I can say that after 2 years and not really battery tending all that well it's left with 96% capacity using Leaf SPY. The Leafs we have at work to drive around are the 2015 models which are at 75% and treated like crap when it comes to charing (often DC fast charged). I only trickle charge (LVL1) and let it go to 100% with an anticipated ride ahead of me. If no ride ahead it's 80% etc. I DC fast charge maybe 1 once every few months. So really this hasn't been a big issue for me and I am fine with whatever the MACH has, as long as the battery does not degrade faster than expected or under preform.

Last edited:

DaveHsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E on order
Occupation
manager
Country flag

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I just had my annual battery inspection at the Mercedes dealer in Bellevue. I'm glad it's free because that place looks like they make a lot of money from their customers. DANG!

Over 5 years and 25k miles my battery has degraded 1.4 kWh. The battery started out at 28.8kWh and is now down to 27.4kWh. I think that is the same as it was last year... I'll have to look it up.
I only charge to 100% a few times a year, just to balance the pack. I have never DCFC this car (it can't DCFC but it can pull 48Amps at 240 Volts). I charge to 80% daily.

I know there are a lot of people on here who have never owned or even driven a BEV. Hope this information helps you out.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
QUOTE="SnBGC, post: 40049, member: 892"]
I dont think so on the FFE. The EVCC (Electric Vehicle Computer Controller ) won't allow the TCM (Transmission Control Module) to power the DC to DC Converter which charges the 12v battery. Not while charging on L1 or L2. Is possible on DCFC though.
[/QUOTE]
So you're telling me that the l1 and l2 dont charge the 12v when plugged in via the DC-DC converter?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ok let’s try this

Attachments

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ok let’s try this
that's disappointing and fairly stupid given the massive reserve, and given that they didn't say this before on any of their batteries. ? but I guess it means we have the answer now so we can stop talking about it.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For a different take on this, starting at 6:50 in this video from Engineering Explained, he takes the approach that one doesn't need to worry about the details, just let the car manage the battery. With a big reserve, it's never going to get anywhere close to 100% charged. That's what I plan on doing, just not worry about it.

How Does Brake-By-Wire Work? Plus: Audi e-Tron Sportback Review!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
For a different take on this, starting at 6:50 in this video from Engineering Explained, he takes the approach that one doesn't need to worry about the details, just let the car manage the battery. With a big reserve, it's never going to get anywhere close to 100% charged. That's what I plan on doing, just not worry about it.

How Does Brake-By-Wire Work? Plus: Audi e-Tron Sportback Review!
that's been my position on here since this topic came up, but I can see a possible problem. If this document is legitimate, and Ford publishes guidance saying "80%" even if that's clearly idiotic (which it is, given the reserve), and you as an owner ignore it, will that impact the warranty? I don't think we know that yet and I don't think we will know until we see the actual warranty paperwork. (They will have the data from the cloud connected side; they have it today through MyFord Mobile on the existing cars.)

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
that's been my position on here since this topic came up, but I can see a possible problem. If this document is legitimate, and Ford publishes guidance saying "80%" even if that's clearly idiotic (which it is, given the reserve), and you as an owner ignore it, will that impact the warranty? I don't think we know that yet and I don't think we will know until we see the actual warranty paperwork. (They will have the data from the cloud connected side; they have it today through MyFord Mobile on the existing cars.)
Why do you think that is idiotic? If you charge the battery to 100%, then the battery is probably charged at 95% (assuming the buffer is split between top and bottom).

95% is still unpleasant to Lithium batteries.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Practice for battery preservation 1602118338299

Clearly the more you stay in the middle the slower the degradation.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Practice for battery preservation 1602118338299

Clearly the more you stay in the middle the slower the degradation.
While I agree that staying in the middle is a little better, that chart is kind of deceiving on the surface. When you normalize each line for the same # of kWh (i.e. same # of miles), there's only slight difference.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
While I agree that staying in the middle is a little better, that chart is kind of deceiving on the surface. When you normalize each line for the same # of kWh (i.e. same # of miles), there's only slight difference.
Not sure I'm following you.
Sponsored