Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
So, I have called Ford BEV support three times this week.
Background:
Picked up car (bought ordered car) on 12/17/2022. I had asked the dealer to run all software, firmware, module updates before I picked it up. When I sat in it at the dealer, the large main screen said "Update Complete" so I assumed they did as I asked.
Driving home, and since then, BlueCruise "works" but not in hands free mode.
January 4, 2023 I received a notice that I received a Power-Up and I'm now on 3.5.2.... What? 3.5.2 was released back in September.
I check my map expiration date and saw that my Bluecruise maps expired on December 10, 2022.... before I picked up the car.

Anyway, back to Ford BEV support.
Yesterday they told me that they could see that my car was downloading 3.5.3.
Today, no 3.5.3. I called Ford BEV support and they saw that the 3.5.3 install failed. No reason in their system. So, I do the recommended pre-requisites for successful updates (Drive or leave car on 30 minutes, make sure it has WiFi signal, Park it, Turn on Parking Brake). We'll see on that.

On to the BlueCruise map update.
First, they advised that at least version 3.5.2 is required to enable the system to properly check for map updates.
Next.... This is the silliness.
They said that they had luck doing the following:
1. Get in the car.
2. Turn on the car.
3. Turn off the car.
4. Open the door.
5. Lock the doors using the lock button on the door
6. Close the door.
7. Walk away (get keys or phone for PAAK) out of range of the car
8. Wait for the parking and interior lights to turn off
9. Repeat 10 times

Here's the crazier part.
It worked.
My BlueCruise Maps expiration is now March 14, 2023.

I have not driven it yet to try out Hands-Free BlueCruise, but will report when I do.
Sponsored

X1Nightmare

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Explorer, 1996 Probe, 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Ford service technician
Country flag
I took delivery of mine last Wednesday when the car was dropped off and likewise had no Bluecruise maps out of date, same expiration date actually. I see in the programming sections for both the TSB and the service publications that the procedure they gave you, has been added to them as well, so I think they are definitely working on it.

That said, after 4 hours of fiddling with FDRS to get the Gateway Module update to appear ( had to update other non-listed modules first) I got mine to finally update and work, and tested it today on my lunch drive. Works sweet lol, just wait until you try it lol. Not that how I got mine to work will work on every customers car, but atleast I have a few things to try now.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Took delivery of my 23 on the 14th of December. No BC. Then about 2 weeks later, BC activates all of a sudden. No OTA updates, no reboots, no trips back to the dealer, nothing special. Good things come to boys who wait.

This is about the 5th different thread I've seen on this site.

X1Nightmare

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Explorer, 1996 Probe, 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Ford service technician
Country flag
It blows my mind how many times dealers tell people they update the car before delivery but literally don't even plug it into the computer.

Good luck!
Dealers absolutely should not be telling people they updated every module on the car before delivery. Ford won't pay for it unless it is a directed repair, it is not part of the PDI process, and could potentially create a problem rendering the vehicle undriveable when a customers on-route to pick it up. ( FDRS programming is not the most reliable)

That said, I personally wasn't aware of the Blue Cruise maps being expired on arrival. Had I known, I would definitely be checking that during the PDI process, as mine and another persons ordered here were delivered with expired maps. While the map expiration is not called out on the PDI checklist, it is something I will be checking on every one from here out.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It blows my mind how many times dealers tell people they update the car before delivery but literally don't even plug it into the computer.

Good luck!
To be fair, they probably just check under System updates in Sync, don't actually do any FDRS stuff. It can be sorta confusing. But dealers should absolutely know this.

CentralCoastCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium 23
Country flag
I was able to update my hands-free maps using these steps. I did take the car out and was unable to get hands-free to engage. I only get Blue Cruise with hands required on the wheel. I'll continue to test, but so far I have not been able to get hands-free working once.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
To be fair, they probably just check under System updates in Sync, don't actually do any FDRS stuff. It can be sorta confusing. But dealers should absolutely know this.
It's inexcusable in my opinion. They can just say 'no'. Ford doesn't require them to do that for free. I just give 0% benefit of the doubt to dealers anymore, they have just shown how bad they are time and time again.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Maybe they fixed something on the back end that finally let the cars pull the map as expected. šŸ¤”

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe they fixed something on the back end that finally let the cars pull the map as expected. šŸ¤”
Thereā€™s been something weird going on with TCUs getting stuck and needing to be restarted by pulling a fuse, Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of it on the forum lately and I just had to do it myself. Even brand new ā€˜23s having this issue. I wonder if a bad map update got pushed out.

Reactions: EMX

CentralCoastCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium 23
Country flag
Thereā€™s been something weird going on with TCUs getting stuck and needing to be restarted by pulling a fuse, Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of it on the forum lately and I just had to do it myself. Even brand new ā€˜23s having this issue. I wonder if a bad map update got pushed out.
Do you have any tips for pulling the fuse? I assume you turn the car off. Iā€™m picking up a tool to pull auto fuses tomorrow. My TCU seems to be behaving again, but I may need to pull fuse 21 for the gateway module. I was able to get the new hands-free maps installed, but have not been able to enable hands-free blue cruise yet.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have any tips for pulling the fuse? I assume you turn the car off. Iā€™m picking up a tool to pull auto fuses tomorrow. My TCU seems to be behaving again, but I may need to pull fuse 21 for the gateway module. I was able to get the new hands-free maps installed, but have not been able to enable hands-free blue cruise yet.
I just used a pair of needle nose pliers, make sure to put the seat all the way back lol. Just flip up the panel under the passenger dash part, itā€™s pretty easy. Itā€™s got a photo of a fuse on it and held in place by two clips that will snap back in when you are done. Also yes turn the car off

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This may a bit off topic, but you may find it interesting in a tangential sort of way. Last night I got on a local interstate that I drive on regularly where Blue Cruise enables readily following the enabling of Lane Keeping and then Cruise Control. This time, however, all of the above were functioning except BC. After 10 miles I noticed that the Nav map in Sync was only showing my departure point with a big "?" and not a moving-update. GPS failed to get a fix so BC will not engage, apparently. I typically use Google maps for nav, and it was completely functional during this time.

Later that evening after the car was parked for a few hours, I made my return trip home. The moving map was still stuck in its stale state, but after less than a mile it found it's position and eventually BC was operational again. During all of this time the vehicle had an unobstructed view of the sky for receiving GPS transmissions, and Google Maps/phone-GPS worked throughout.
Sponsored