Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
And I’m having PPF installed next week, too. Keep the faith, right?!
Sponsored

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have stocked up with a voltage monitor, charger, and jumper - and plan to open up those access points, too Hopefully all of the above will have me ready to go
It is unfortunate that after a year Ford has not fully resolved the 12v battery issue and owners have to either find their cars bricked or become mechanics to save their car.
I have read most of the related threads and it is unclear if the problem is the 12v battery itself or something wrong with the charging system (either the software logic or the DC/DC converter).

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Jumping in to ask a question - I have one of those 12v battery testers that you plug into a cigarette lighter plug in the car. Do those work on the Mach-E? If so, maybe checking it periodically could help prevent this total meltdown scenario?

OP
OP
Jbkimmel

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Jumping in to ask a question - I have one of those 12v battery testers that you plug into a cigarette lighter plug in the car. Do those work on the Mach-E? If so, maybe checking it periodically could help prevent this total meltdown scenario?
Yep - that was suggested earlier in the thread and may not prevent it, but at least you might see it coming and not be on the freeway like I was!

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Yep - that was suggested earlier in the thread and may not prevent it, but at least you might see it coming and not be on the freeway like I was!
Perhaps, but I think Ford has a bigger issue at play. Either they procured a lot of bad batteries, or the car is not properly maintaining charge.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Perhaps, but I think Ford has a bigger issue at play. Either they procured a lot of bad batteries, or the car is not properly maintaining charge.
Bad batch plus the variable of occasional bad cells in the hVb which then effects charging the lvb.

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Yes, it will show voltage of the 12V battery. When the DC-DC converter is on the battery voltage will be around 14.5-15.6V, but voltage will actually drop to around 13-13.6V once battery is fully charged to 90% SOC.

The SOC of the 12v battery seems equally important, it drives the logic of 12V battery charging (can be read with obd2 adapter):

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-dead-again.12086/page-4#post-313971

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ging-and-maintaining.10783/page-2#post-282259

Last edited:

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
There was. Not sure why we’re seeing this again.
It is unfortunate that after a year Ford has not fully resolved the 12v battery issue and owners have to either find their cars bricked or become mechanics to save their car.
I have read most of the related threads and it is unclear if the problem is the 12v battery itself or something wrong with the charging system (either the software logic or the DC/DC converter).
I had it twice on my Mach-e. First in March, had it towed to the dealer. Once there it started ok (the tow truck driver was familiar with the Mach-e and try boosting it but that did not work).
I thought they had fixed the problem but I got it again in late June. That time it did not start once at the dealer. They replaced the 12V battery.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Select RWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Had a ICE mustang about 20 years (1996 model) that died on interstate. While driving just had every gage and radio drop out and engine stopped. Coasted to a stop (luckily managed to get off the road). No lights on the panel, no clicking when trying to start, nothing. Someone stopped and we tried a jump start. Absolutely zero power to anything. Was a student without a lot of money right near an off-ramp (Atlanta beltway with lots of exists close to each other) and a car parts store. Thought I'd try a new battery before calling for tow. New battery started right up. Alternator was fine and drove the car for many more years. Did not have the battery tested to how badly it was fried just dropped it off at the parts store to get the core charge refunded.
Back in the 80's my dad had a pickup that several times just died while driving down the road. All electrical systems shut down. A new battery fixed it. This is not just a MME problem.

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
Pretty much same situation..only had car 1 week, temps below 30 degrees all week, wasnt driving though... yesterday was getting ready to leave work..went to remote start car in app.. failed twice so went out to the car to start.. tons of error messages on screen when i hit start button. main battery was at 90%. ended up calling road side assistance for a tow.. since it was going to take an hour for the truck to get there i got a ride home.. meeting the tow truck there hour and half later tried starting the car again and it was fine... drove home. Dealership today tested 12v and put it on a charger.
Have you had any more issues? This happened once to us in August 6 months after owning it, and then again Christmas Eve. Ours is sitting at a dealer 6 hours away from us where we got stranded, replaced 12v and still same problems. As of yesterday there was still no definitive answer of what is wrong....been in contact with ford but still moving slowly....

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: Car locked up last Thursday. On Friday, the dealer jumped it and saw no problems or error codes. Yesterday, the car threw a bunch of codes that the techs say point to a bad 12v. And so that has been ordered, due to arrive later today or tomorrow. I have stocked up with a voltage monitor, charger, and jumper - and plan to open up those access points, too Hopefully all of the above will have me ready to go - plus the Level 2 that I’m having installed tomorrow. Doubling down!
Please update if you get any other info other than the 12V replacement. Ours shutdown on Christmas eve and already replaced the 12v and still didn't fix the problem. The dealer its at has no idea what is wrong at this point. Friday will be 3 weeks without it and another car payment ?‍♂

OP
OP
Jbkimmel

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Please update if you get any other info other than the 12V replacement. Ours shutdown on Christmas eve and already replaced the 12v and still didn't fix the problem. The dealer its at has no idea what is wrong at this point. Friday will be 3 weeks without it and another car payment ?‍♂
No additional information - the dealer just said they experienced lots of alerts and warnings like I had, and that the 12v showed as defective. They replaced it, I picked up the car, and will hope that’s it. And I hope you get some clarity on your situation…

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No additional information - the dealer just said they experienced lots of alerts and warnings like I had, and that the 12v showed as defective. They replaced it, I picked up the car, and will hope that’s it. And I hope you get some clarity on your situation…
I spoke to the service advisor and ford rep yesterday. I found some info that this similar issue has happened to a couple other MME AWD models that were built around the same time. The repair has been for the DC regulator to be replaced, which means dropping the battery. No definite answer still, as of today it has been 3 full weeks without it.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Wow. Crazy. When was yours built?