JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I ordered my CPHF direct from Chargepoint's website on 2 August, it shipped on 18 August, and was delivered today. Already received my electric provider subsidy/incentive check too.
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
In SE Michigan, DTE provides a $500 rebate for a ChargePoint Home Flex OR a Enel X JuiceBox.
DTE also requires to switch to a time-related plan to get this $500. Is it always better? It has lower off-pick, but higher pick hours rate.
House always wins...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
DTE also requires to switch to a time-related plan to get this $500. Is it always better? It has lower off-pick, but higher pick hours rate.
House always wins...
I can only speak for myself.

First, there are multiple plans that you can pick from. One, requires an EV meter (D1.9). One, does not (D1.2). The EV meter plan has an off-peak period from 11PM to 9AM. The other plan has off-peak from 7PM, to 11AM, 6 more hours a day. For this, you pay 1 cent per kWh more for off-peak, and LESS for peak...

When we ordered a 2018 Fusion Energi (spring 2018), I set about evaluating charging options. I determined, that BEFORE we got the Energi, switching to the Time of Day Plan made economic sense for us - basically it cost less except for a handful of peak days in the summer for A/C usage. So we switched months before acquiring the Energi.

We don't run the washing machine, dishwasher, clothes dryer (gas), or sprinkler system during the peak hours. Yes, we do run the oven for dinner.

So, the house has not won with us. 70+% of our usage is at 12.5 cents per kWh (before Mach-E). Our rough weighted average is 15 cents per kWh. Last time I checked, the full cost of DTE's regular rate would be well over 16 cents per kWh, plus a higher rate if we used more, which we would with the Mach-E.

We have barely charged since our 7/2 purchase (charger wasn't installed until 7/27), so charging hadn't begun until August, and that has not been billed.

Edit - because it's easy... Energi has a 7.6 kWh battery:

Jan 2018 electricity usage and cost - 698 kWh, $115.55
Jan 2019 electricity usage and cost - 570 kWh - $92.90 (includes car)
Jan 2020 electricity usage and cost - 714 kWh - $112.45 (includes car)
Jan 2021 electricity usage and cost - 654 kWh -$110.52 (includes car, but not being driven much)

July 2018 electricity usage and cost - 657 kWh - $112.11
July 2019 electricity usage and cost - 1,148 kWh - $198.08 (includes car)
July 2020 electricity usage and cost - 1,716 kWh - $275.95 (includes car)
July 2021 electricity usage and cost - 1,419 kWh - $239.52 (includes Mach-E but no 220v charger most of month, just some 120 volt charging)

Our estimated usage per DTE's app for the August billing period is 1,100 kWh. Can't compare to last year, because we were out of town for much of it, but if you compare to July of this year, we have maybe another 600 kWh of usage. Some might be A/C, but some is the car. I would much rather have that usage be at 12.5 cents instead of 16.

Last edited:

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
And its gone. There were 5 left when I went in there. Been wanting one, but will wait a bit as for now the supplied mobile charger fits my needs. I bet some goof went and bought the remaining 5 and will resell for >$1000
I just went to the link it shows the 14.-50 version still availble

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is Pulsar Plus, for example, worse? Same 4.7 rating on Amazon
I have the Pulsar Plus and think its great very small footprint, extra long cable (25") heavy duty handle and separate holder that can by moved closer to car if needed. Smart charger and tracks your usage. Offers a bright light for garage too at night.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Oh good! Ordering now, Amazon must have added more. Thx
that charger is such a clean install with the built in cradle and port for the head. This might be one get and stop using the ford portable evse.

SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
I have the Pulsar Plus and think its great very small footprint, extra long cable (25") heavy duty handle and separate holder that can by moved closer to car if needed. Smart charger and tracks your usage. Offers a bright light for garage too at night.
I am trying to decide between chargepoint and pulsar myself. I like to 50 amp power of the chargepoint so I think k that wins out for me.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I am trying to decide between chargepoint and pulsar myself. I like to 50 amp power of the chargepoint so I think k that wins out for me.
I have one of each. The Pulsar is a good unit, but I like the ChargePoint better.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I debated that as well. 50 amp charging requires it to be hardwired. 40 amp charging can be a plug using 14-50 plug. I went that way incase I decide to move I can simply unplug charger and take it with me. Or if you have issues with charger you can unplug it and replace with portable charger by simply plugging in portable charge in same outlet. Hard wired you are stuck with that charger and no back up portable charger option. Plus the amount of extra charge you get is not that much. Just my thoughts.
Sponsored