Charging % and Target Charge Level Differences

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Hello:

I am having a heck of time getting my maximum charge level of 90% to actually stick on my new Mach-E. I've been through the various threads, saved the preferred charge location, set both the FordPass app and the car's main screen to "use preferred charge settings," set the charge limit to 90% (on both the app and the main screen), but it still blows past 90% and goes all the way to 100% each time. It appears the app recognizes I'm at a saved location (evident by the top of the screenshot that shows my setting of 90%), but the "target charge level" still shows 100%. What am I missing here?

FordPass Charging.jpg
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I'm probably no help as you've most likely tried this.

Set you schedule in the car. I'm sure you've tried this, sorry

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm probably no help as you've most likely tried this.

Set you schedule in the car. I'm sure you've tried this, sorry
Thanks for the response and the thought. I've set the schedule in the car for 12pm-12pm and the car's main screen reads "anytime" and shows a maximum charge level of 90%.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Thanks for the response and the thought. I've set the schedule in the car for 12pm-12pm and the car's main screen reads "anytime" and shows a maximum charge level of 90%.
maybe you just miss-typed but should be set to 12a-12p perhaps?

I set mine 9pm-9am

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Try changing the schedule to be a max of 23 hours per day. Ensure you do not have the "Charge when plugged in" selected in FordPass (Vehicle > Manage EV > Charge Times)

If that doesn't work try deleting your home location and start over.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will adjust the schedule to be 23 hours per day. I don't have "charged when plugged in" selected in FordPass (I have "use preferred charge settings" and it's set to "anytime"). I still don't understand why the top of the app shows the charge session will charge to 90% but the target charge level is 100%? I can't believe Ford has made it this difficult. This is such a simple process on every other BEV.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I can confirm that there is a bug in how "anytime" is implemented. If you set charging to 12a to 12a (allegedly the whole day) it treats as not being allowed to charge at all.

ALTHOUGH ... there is logic that says if the car has to wait more than 24 hours to reach a charging window then it will charge immediately. So you can get the illusion that it works.

My rate plan gives me cheaper rates to charge off peak which, for me, is 11pm to 9am on weekdays but "anytime" on weekends.

The car charges correctly on weeknights, but not on weekends. It will charge "anytime" on Saturday but would not charge on Sunday. That's because Sunday is within 24 hours of Monday ... so the car waits to start charging at Midnight. But since Saturday is more than 24 hours away from Monday ... it starts charging right away.

The work-around is to give the car a 23 hour window to charge. When I do that, it works.

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
I can confirm that there is a bug in how "anytime" is implemented. If you set charging to 12a to 12a (allegedly the whole day) it treats as not being allowed to charge at all.

ALTHOUGH ... there is logic that says if the car has to wait more than 24 hours to reach a charging window then it will charge immediately. So you can get the illusion that it works.

My rate plan gives me cheaper rates to charge off peak which, for me, is 11pm to 9am on weekdays but "anytime" on weekends.

The car charges correctly on weeknights, but not on weekends. It will charge "anytime" on Saturday but would not charge on Sunday. That's because Sunday is within 24 hours of Monday ... so the car waits to start charging at Midnight. But since Saturday is more than 24 hours away from Monday ... it starts charging right away.

The work-around is to give the car a 23 hour window to charge. When I do that, it works.
This is very interesting, and would seem to explain why I keep getting the "cannot reach desired charge level" warning independent of my state of charge. I actually don't charge at home very often (free juice at work), so it is very annoying to see that every time I power off at home. Thanks for the fix! Now if only the car would stop asking me to set the motion detector alarm!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I updated the charging window to 23 hours and still no luck. The car and the app recognize my location and it says at the top of the charging session when it will reach 90% (which is what it is set to), but the target charge level is still showing 100%.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Well, I updated the charging window to 23 hours and still no luck. The car and the app recognize my location and it says at the top of the charging session when it will reach 90% (which is what it is set to), but the target charge level is still showing 100%.
I have ours set up to charge to 90% between 9pm and 5am. Last night it started on schedule but this morning when my Wife drove off it was showing 100% charge on the cars display. Target charge level in Fordpass shows 100% as well.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
is it just a visual bug? i think i've encountered this before and i restarted the app and it fixed itself. But it sounds like that isn't the case for you. the main question is: does it stop at 90% or continue to 100%?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've never used sync4 for setting up charging. Does your sync 4 reflect the 90% you wish to have? I"m assuming the slider in fordpass app is set to 90%? This is really quite puzzling.

Have you tried setting your charging window to a shorter period, say 7pm to 6am or similar? on fordpass?

rgreene

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT-PE
Country flag
I’m also having the problem where it goes to 100%. I had it set to anytime, so I’m glad I found this thread - I adjusted it to have smaller window of time and I’ll see if that fixes it.

rgreene

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT-PE
Country flag
I still can’t figure out how to get the charge to stop at the % I set. I feel like the UI in the app doesn’t like the fact that I’m not on a TOU plan so I have to go through the manual process. I set the charge to only go from 1:00AM-8:00AM but it still initiated a charge at 7:00PM and to 100%.
Maybe my EVSE is to blame (ChargePoint home flex)?

Okay, I finally figured it out. I had to go into the Sync menus in the vehicle to enable charge locations. The UI in the app makes no mention of this, but it fixed me up.
Sponsored

Last edited: