Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y

Machemark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, Prius
Country flag
I was strongly considering a Model Y for our second car, but everything I've read shows that the range on the Y is overestimated by a pretty big amount.

If, and it's a big if, the MME is underestimating it's range, much like the Chevy Bolt, then I'd feel a lot better getting the MME.

The idea of the Supercharger network is...comforting on road trips, but really we take one or two trips a year, and it's not like there won't be any infrastructure for Ford. Rather it just doesn't seem as polished as the Supercharger network.

If the MME does really well, then I can see their charging network growing in tandem.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was strongly considering a Model Y for our second car, but everything I've read shows that the range on the Y is overestimated by a pretty big amount.

If, and it's a big if, the MME is underestimating it's range, much like the Chevy Bolt, then I'd feel a lot better getting the MME.

The idea of the Supercharger network is...comforting on road trips, but really we take one or two trips a year, and it's not like there won't be any infrastructure for Ford. Rather it just doesn't seem as polished as the Supercharger network.

If the MME does really well, then I can see their charging network growing in tandem.
Not sure of the MME range is underestimated (I'm guessing it'll increase just slightly, like 3-4%), but perhaps just as meaningful is that the usable battery was given an exceptionally large 11% reserve. That should mean people should be able to achieve most of that advertised range more safely. The consensus seems to be that Telsa sets very little reserve so they can advertise longer range, but that most people don't actually want to push it that far.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
People wont get to see the fine print until they get to have a read of the warranty, but that reserve could also be dictated by the percentage of degradation that is being guaranteed as part of the 8 year 100000 mile battery warranty.

As they get more data on real world usage once the vehicles are out in the hands of owners I would not be surprised to see and adjustment to the reserve and the range similar to what has happened with other ev's

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Tesla had a pop up test drive event about 2 hours away from me yesterday (nearest dealer/showroom is about 6 hours away), so I made an appointment to drive a Model Y.

The Y they brought to the event was the Performance model, probably to sell people on the most expensive trim. It was an incredibly quick to the point where it made me kind of nervous flooring it on the highway (you are up on the car in front of you almost immediately, even with a large gap). The seats were comfortable and I felt the vehicle was a good size, even for a guy like me (6’1, 240ish). Stereo sounded incredible. I think the regen breaking will take some time getting used to, coming from an ICE car. I missed having the speed at eye level and not having to use the touch screen for everything such as adjusting mirrors and the steering wheel, but I imagine that most folks get used to that.

Because I was late, I didn’t get as much time with the car as I would have liked. However, I did feel the build quality was not amazing for the price. I noticed this primarily when shutting the driver down. It feels super smooth and buttery on my 2018 Accord, but on the Model Y, it felt like you were shutting the door on a cheaper, older car. I didn’t have time to examine for these like panel gaps and paint uniformity issues which I know are current problems on the Model Y. I was also a little disappointed on the width of the hatch. The wheel wells eat into your cargo space like the trunk of a sedan. My mental test is could I fit a new flat screen TV in the back with the seats folded down. Other than getting height and storage under the cargo mat, I didn’t feel it was a drastic improvement over the trunk of my Accord (could be an optical illusion). Also, I didn’t feel like the staff were overly interested in selling me a car. While I find that a good thing in some instances, I feel like a technology based vehicle like this does well with walking through unique features (dog mode, sentry mode, etc.).

To summarize, I enjoyed driving an EV. However, I wasn’t overly impressed by the Tesla itself. Since they are considered the gold standard, I had expected (maybe even hoped) to leave the test drive event having to order one. My feeling when I left was that I am fine waiting on the MME.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To summarize, I enjoyed driving an EV. However, I wasn’t overly impressed by the Tesla itself. Since they are considered the gold standard, I had expected (maybe even hoped) to leave the test drive event having to order one. My feeling when I left was that I am fine waiting on the MME.
Good summation. I've still yet to actually drive an EV, but I've been doing a ton of research over the last year. Sounds like the general consensus is that Tesla is the gold standard for the technology and performance of BEVs, but far from it on the other 80% of the vehicle.

And I've always felt it's easier to catch up to the competition on technology than it is on design and manufacturing and workmanship of something like a vehicle with a thousand parts.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
I think that Tesla will continue to lead the pack in novel features, range, and possibly acceleration.
A better computer as a car.

The traditional manufacturers will find market share amongst people who want a better car that runs on electrons. That care less about Xmas carols and flashing light displays and more about the overall fun factor. Hoonability is my personal criterion.

Ford has an opening here. If the MME GT is a good replacement for my RS, I’ll convert my res to an order. If not, ordering a Tesla only takes a couple of clicks.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
What's the price comparison between a MME AWD and a MY AWD??

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
49,990 Model Y Dual motor, no rebate available
41,195 Select AWD after rebate
45,200 Premium AWD after rebate
50,200 Premium Ext Range AWD after rebate

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Yep, I know I am getting “nit picky “ here but it is not a rebate --- it is an EV Fed Income Tax Credit of $7,500 deducted from your Fed Income Tax for the year you placed it in service.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
The 49k Y is also extended range. So it seems to be similar to 50k MME after tax credit. How similar will be known after EPA range is released. Does the premium MME have the panoramic roof, can't remember. I think it does have heated seats. Not sure driver profiles will move steering wheel though.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
EV Fed Income Tax Credit of $7,500 deducted from your Fed Income Tax for the year you placed it in service
That doesn't fit on one line. Everybody should know exactly what it is by now.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Yep, I know I am getting “nit picky “ here but it is not a rebate --- it is an EV Fed Income Tax Credit of $7,500 deducted from your Fed Income Tax for the year you placed it in service.
Note that you are paying tax in most states for the $7500, making it reduced to around $7K.
Sponsored