Did You Drive Your Mach-E Through The Winter?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
In my neck of the woods the onset of Spring seems to have brought out a lot more BEVs than I seem to remember seeing over the Winter - can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Tesla these days, and a good number of MMEs. So it made me think lots have been hibernating.

So for those of you who live in actual winter conditions - you know who you are - did you brave the winter? And in general how was it?
Sponsored

walla2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Prem ER AWD, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Clergy
Country flag
Yep, I got mine in February, and had several long distance trips in cold temps, plus several runs up to our local ski resort. It was just fine. After one snowfall, I underestimated the 1PD stopping distance (it was on a downslope) and damn near hit someone in a traffic circle, but that was my fault, not the carā€™s.

As the forum has *exhaustively* covered, range decreased, but it wasnā€™t a problem with proper planning.

Chainspell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
See my profile pic :)

Range is definitely impacted, but this car handles snowstorms pretty well.

CRPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Drove in wet snow, dry snow and icy conditions on winter tires. Car is heavy and great in winter conditions. Got into some deep ruts on unplowed city street and had to ease our way through very slowly due to clearance. This was unusual but something to be aware of.

Range, as mentioned, was cut in half by temperature, road conditions and snow tires.

Since winter tires came off and weather has warmed up starting to see range improve significantly.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
My guess is Fuel prices are making low cost per mile vehicles more attractive to buyers?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
In southeast Pennsylvania, it wasn't too bad, but we had a stretch with highs in the teens during January. Car was great. I loved having instant heat :)
Going on 13 months now.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I've never really understood the appeal of "summer cars" - how much are you willing to spend to store a car you don't use? I make a point of not owning cars that can't be used year 'round.

That said, the MachE did great over the winter in CO. Put it on Vredestein Wintracs and kept going. Range was reduced by the low temperatures, but not significantly impacted by the winter tires themselves. My winter baseline consumption @ 60mph has been 3.4 mi/kWh as measured by ABRP over a number of trips.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I've never really understood the appeal of "summer cars" - how much are you willing to spend to store a car you don't use? I make a point of not owning cars that can't be used year 'round.

That said, the MachE did great over the winter in CO. Put it on Vredestein Wintracs and kept going. Range was reduced by the low temperatures, but not significantly impacted by the winter tires themselves. My winter baseline consumption @ 60mph has been 3.4 mi/kWh as measured by ABRP over a number of trips.
Things that are "jack of all trades" are always masters of none. Having season specific things is masterful. That's the appeal! Summer home, summer car, summer fling...etc.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag

My understanding is ABRP mi/kWh already factors in temps (assuming subscription and enable live weather). So it'll still report 3.4 mi/kWh in the summer.

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Yes of course, Iā€™m not fancy enough to have a winter car and a summer car.

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
NW Ohio had it's share of snow and cold this year. The Mach is my daily, so yeppers, it's was hauling my butt around. Handled great, even on my upgraded 20's with pirelli all season tires. Range dropped to about 160 on full charge, but that was expected. No complaints what so ever šŸ˜

IMG_20220221_180441627.jpg

THXDIAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VOLVO XC90 T8, MUSTANG GT CONV
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
GTPE, set of Perelli Scorpion Winter, did fine. Range decreased. While driving through a snowstorm the snow slush collected, covered front sensors and completely shut down Blue Cruise.
Installing the OEM summer tires this week.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
The only issue for me was the range drop - setting a departure time before a trip helped with that some. I took my Mach-e up to the ski resorts in Pennsylvania several times, and DC Fast Charged on the way back. Car worked great! It is very capable on snow.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I am nowhere near rich enough to have multiple cars for multiple seasons. Hell, this is the first time Iā€™ve been able to afford a car period. Iā€™ve always just daily driven my truck because I need a truck for ā€œtruck stuff.ā€ So affording a car at all has been a helluva luxury.
I know one guy with a Tesla. And he does Not drive it in the winter. Of course he also wonā€™t let his wife drive it. He acts like itā€™s a Bugatti. Heā€™s more than a bit of a dweeb.
Sponsored