21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Folks, I came into the Mach E owner community after years of owning a 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium (only owner). Perhaps I can offer an explanation for "turned-off modules".

Over in Fusion World, we found that often, the Lincoln MKZ and the Fusion had the same modules, but the Fusions had some of the module features turned off, likely to differentiate between market segments serving these two brands. Of course, we Fusioneers then made a sport tracking down and activating as many of the hidden Lincoln software features as we could... myself included.

Additionally, the European Ford Mondeo had features not visible on American Fusions... often, that entailed getting the hardware from a Euro junkyard and then turning the hidden software "on". Been there, done that - with the Mondeo folding mirrors and the Mondeo rear foglights (both sides, one from England and one from Finland). in both of these hardware cases, we Fusioneers sometimes had to add a Ford pin and wire between modules, but the modules all had the electronic circuits to then make the sofware "see" and activate these regional functions.

This makes me think that the car modules, for the Fusions / Mondeos anyway, were built to one world standard.

Hope this is helpful.

coachluke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Ford Mustang, 22 Premium Grabber Blue SR RWD
Country flag
Today I wanted to investigate what would be needed to add the hands free liftgate back into my 2022 GT, so I set off on a little adventure. Turns out the module was already installed, just disabled in configuration. This caused me to spend the rest of my day doing as built comparisons among 2021 and 2022 Mach E's. 😂

Remember, any changes you make are at your own risk. Additionally, any OTA update has the ability to reset any changes made to the modules.

IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg

This isn't going to be a large tutorial on how to use FDRS and Forscan, as there's several other threads that do this. Also, I don't know at which point they removed or will remove the actual handsfree liftgate module. I also didn't dive into every Mach E configuration out there to see if there would be any variance with As Built data. The two modules that will need reconfigured is the APIM and the BCM.

The very first step in this would be to find out if you actually have the module installed. There's a small access panel near the back of the cover, closest to the bumper. You can peek in there with a flashlight and see the module. My GT was built March 1 2022 for reference and came with the module installed.

Also, you must already have a Mach E with a power liftgate, otherwise you'll have to go a whole different direction. If your vehicle is only missing the Power liftgate handsfree module, I don't imagine it being hard to add. It's power, ground, LIN BUS and two antennas. Someone else can do that tutorial though. 😂

0. Back up your configs!

1. APIM Configuration (Forscan):
The reason there's two variations is because there's multiple configs that happen on that one Value. They're different between the two vehicles.
APIM Enable Power Liftgate Handsfree Option
GT: 7D0-09-03 XXXX X8XX XXXX
Prem: 7D0-09-03 XXXX XAXX XXXX

Stock 2022 GT APIM
7D0-09-03 XXXX X0XX XXXX
Stock 2022 Premium APIM
7D0-09-03 XXXX X2XX XXXX

Ensure that after you push the changes, you reset the APIM again, or it may not show up right away.

2. BCM Configuration (Forscan):
This tells the BCM that the module is available on the LIN BUS.
726-27-01 XFXX X2XX XXXX

Stock 2022 GT/Prem Value
726-27-01 XEXX X0XX XXXX

After making this configuration you can do a DTC scan, and you should see a BCM DTC B1495:55 Hands Free Liftgate/Decklid Input Sensor: Not Configured

Now you need to switch over to FDRS. This sucks because you have to pay for a subscription. The only reason I needed FDRS was because you need to run a LIN New Module Initialization in order to clear that DTC and enable the handsfree module communication. Forscan will let you do it on older vehicles. Hopefully the developers enable it on the new versions.

Forscan can now do Local Interconnect Network (LIN) new module initialization. Click the wrench in forscan and then click that and run the procedure. It will find the handsfree module and at this point you can go back and clear DTCs and it should be good to go.

After that is complete, the lfitgate will work handsfree. Check that it's enabled in the APIM and you should be GTG.

IMG_1022.jpeg

I will try to help the best i can, but I don't have a lot of time to do tech support. I know there's a lot of other smart folks that have been digging into Forscan and FDRS that can offer assistance if I take too long to answer. I'll be interested to see how many 2022's have the stuff installed already. Have fun!
Just wanted to hop on here and thank you for finding this and putting together a great guide. Managed to get mine working today and was a feature I was bummed to hear they'd "removed"

Greymalken

First Name
Grey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT EX4
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Late to thread here but can anyone with the working hands free light gate post a picture of the actual hands free sensor? What senses your foot under the back of the car? I can look for that, maybe, before trying to crawl under and look for wiring harnesses and whatnot.

ponydsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium 4ER, Taycan CT, 650s, F8 on order
Country flag

Greymalken

First Name
Grey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT EX4
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That’s not the wiring harness? I assumed there’d be some sort of camera nub or IR dongle or something to sense your foot underneath the trunk area. Is there nothing on the exterior of the car?
It's a pair of wires going horizontally across the inside lower bumper cover (wrapped in red and black tape). It uses capacitive proximity sensing. The two wires make up a capitative circuit. Your leg is conductive so when you kick it changes the electric field permittivity near the bumper and the capacitance between the wires changes. It senses this change as a peak dip pattern from the kick and knows to open the gate.

More technical info in this white paper: https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidud21/tidud21.pdf

JohnS1111

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E eAWD
Country flag
It's a pair of wires going horizontally across the inside lower bumper cover (wrapped in red and black tape). It uses capacitive proximity sensing.
Can you see if the sensor is there without taking the cover off?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Repeating what I said on page 8 of this thread:

I would download the file and look through it for the modules are there:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/

Enter your vin and then download the file.

Open the file with excel (or numbers) and search for:

7D0-09-03
and
726-27-01

I think if you have both of those, the hardware is almost certainly all there. Just needs to be "switched on" using the procedure outlined on the first page of the thread. Likely no need to open panels.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No, you have to take the access cover off and look in there or reach your hand in and feel.

I just enabled mine in FORScan and it worked, no need for me to look. 5 minutes with the laptop vs. having to get under the car. If doesn't work you can just change the parameters back to their original values.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Question: Has anyone discovered they DON'T have the sensor yet?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

AndyP

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, F150, RX350, MX5, Bronco
Country flag
I've got both of those so I guess I'll try to activate it.

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I have a 22 Premium AWD ER. My values don't match what's in the OP.

7D0-09-03
00400000092C

My value matches the GT one. Should I add a 8 or a A since it's a Premium?

I might give it a try tomorrow and revert to the original values if it doesn't work, but I just wanted to try and get a feedback from someone who had similar values.

Edit: I added a 8 as in the GT even though I have a Premium. It worked and I now have hands free. I had this feature on my 21 and loved it, thank you i8iridium !!
Sponsored

Last edited: