Does the Mach E being built in Mexico bother you?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I don't care where its built as long as I get mine. Would be better if they built European ones in Europe so we get ours quicker but hey how such is life
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Everything is relative to the alternative. Sure, I'd like to see more manufacturing in the US, especially by US companies like Ford. But until COVID clobbered the world economy, the US already had a strong economy and a very low unemployment rate. Meaning there really wasn't a lot of room for more jobs here (and I have no interest in ballooning US population more than we already are; I think we're growing population too much as it is).

That means US manufacturers simply have to utilize some foreign labor. And of course it has the added benefit of (usually) being cheaper, which means lower cost manufacturing, and lower prices for buyers (which benefits us in another way).

If the US (not counting this temporary virus situation) had high unemployment, I'd have a stronger preference to wanting them to build more here. But we don't. Thus I'm fine with it being built in Mexico. And I'm happier that it's neighboring Mexico rather than, say, China.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford is an American company, with profits coming back to Detroit, and supporting UAW workers In the US too. My dad was a Ford employee, and I am loyal to the brand and to how the company and the Union treated my father with good benefits, and a living wage with a good retirement (not lavish, but good).

What would bother me more is buying a car of a foreign company with profits going overseas, even if it is built in the US. And there is a reason why those companies are anti-union. Complain all you want about high UAW wages and benefits, but they kept a roof over my head, and food on the table when I was growing up, and new Fords in the driveway.

So, the answer is no, as long as it is a Ford, and they are in the US, it doesn’t bother me one bit.

BigPoppa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Chevy Bolt, Energica SS9 & Ribelle
Country flag
Doesn't bother me. "Made in the USA" doesn't guarantee quality. I've had more than my fair share of "Made in the USA" products that were crap as well as products that were really good. At the end of the day, I just want the product I buy to be a good, solid product.

I've found over the years that the location where something is assembled/made has less bearing on quality than the quality controls the individual manufacturer puts in place wherever the product is assembled/made.

Ever since my first Ford vehicle in 2002, I've had nothing but positive experiences with their vehicles which is more than I can say for Dodge and Chevrolet/Pontiac vehicles from the same time period.

I have no intentions of canceling my reservation just because it's being assembled/made in Mexico. In fact, I'm looking forward to being able to place my actual order for my Mach-E GT once we're able to do so.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Which would bother you more, a Buick Encore (made in S. Korea) or a Toyota Camry made in Kentucky?

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have no problem with my car being made in Mexico - my 2010 Fusion Hybrid made in Hermosillo Mx just passed 300k miles, and I also had a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that was a great car too.
Just as you, my 2014 Fusion Hybrid sedan was assembled at Hermosillo, Mexico (which is still in "America") from several sources, and it is my best car. In five years (six in September) it had no surprises nor unsuspected problems. It had two recalls (door and steering hardware), but both were serviced under factory warranty at no cost, except for a visit to the dealer. In those five years, the only part replaced was the oil filter, as I only need one oil change a year to maintain the engine warranty conditions, but I never pass 80% of the oil life. If I did it myself I woold spend about $30, yet the dearer only charges me $45 so that extra $15 goes to their labor.

Ford and GM both have assembly plants in many other nations and they do that for seveal finantial and logical reasons. My wife's 2009 Chevy Equinox has a 3.4 L V6 engine made by GM-SAIC in China, and the six speed automatic transmission is made by Asisn in Japan who also made the first hybrid transmissions for the Ford and Lincoln hybrids (Ford makes the newer transmissions in house). The Equinox was asembled at Ingersol, Canada, so it is another global product. And in eleven years it never had a recall.

Since Mexico and Canada are in North America (al the way down to Panama), and all the nations from Colombia and Venezuela to Argentina and Chile are in South America, any vehicle or part made in America is American. But what really defines a product is the nationality of its brand, even if assembled in other continents, and that means all Ford products are U.S branded and American.

Last edited:

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Which would bother you more, a Buick Encore (made in S. Korea) or a Toyota Camry made in Kentucky?
The Camry because it is a Japanese (foreign) brand asssembled in the U.S. Most of the Camry profits goes to Japan. Most of the Buick Encore profits return to GM in the U.S. and that is a better deal for us.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Since Mexico and Canada are in North America (al the way down to Panama), and all the nations from Colombia and Venezuela to Argentina and Chile are in South America, any vehicle or part made in America is American.
Just a quick geography reminder here. Three counties make up North America: Canada, US, and Mexico. The countries south from Guatemala and Belize south to Panama are in Central America. At Colombia you have entered the continent of South America.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
The Camry because it is a Japanese (foreign) brand asssembled in the U.S. Most of the Camry profits goes to Japan. Most of the Buick Encore profits return to GM in the U.S. and that is a better deal for us.
Agree. I would add that those foreign makers plants are primarily located in the "South" and that was purposeful to avoid the UAW and those plants becoming unionized. There is an exception to that here in Ohio as there is a Honda plant in Marysville, OH.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
What bothers me is when people tell me to 'Buy American!" when there are German and Japanese cars being made right here in the USA, and there are Fords being built in Mexico.

But I'm not naive to how the corporate world works. I own an iPhone, and it wasn't built here (yet Apple is technically an American company).

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Regardless what one thinks of NAFTA, Ford has a long history in Mexico and started operating in Cuautitlan three decades before NAFTA was ratified.

Vehicles with most American-made components nowadays often carry Japanese nameplates. The minivan I am driving tops that list by some accounts, with its engine made in Alabama and transmission made in Georgia, final assembly was in Alabama. It doesn't surprise me, because Honda's North American supply chain is an integral part of the company's operation worldwide. The window sticker on our CR-V showed 50% of components sourced from US/Canada, even though its final assembly was done in Sayama. Most CR-V's sold here are built in Ohio and use more American parts. The fit and finish on the Sayama built CR-V and Marysville built Accord were comparable, but noticeably better than the Lincoln Alabama built Odyssey, whether that was just variance across different models or had something to do with the local workforce I don't know.

It is naive to think that profits made by a multinational firm headquartered in America are simply repatriated.
Sponsored