Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
If you want an integrated camera that looks OEM, I’ve been working with Fitcamx on a prototype. Should be available this month.
Thanks - hoping it will be similarly priced and spec'd as some of the other Fitcamx models I saw on Amazon? (i.e. 4K recording, front facing camera only for ~$200). If so I'll definitely wait it out
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks - hoping it will be similarly priced and spec'd as some of the other Fitcamx models I saw on Amazon? (i.e. 4K recording, front facing camera only for ~$200). If so I'll definitely wait it out
Yeah, I think it will be priced similarly. The camera’s the same. It’s really just the mirror surround that’s different so that it will fit the MME.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yeah, I think it will be priced similarly. The camera’s the same. It’s really just the mirror surround that’s different so that it will fit the MME.
Does that mean it won't need the Dongar adapter? I've never heard of them but they look awesome if they can make it fit nicely on an MME. They mention tech that uses the rain sensing wiper to power it so it is super easy. Since you're giving them hand, do you know how they plan on connecting it and if the Dongar will still be a cleaner look?

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Does that mean it won't need the Dongar adapter? I've never heard of them but they look awesome if they can make it fit nicely on an MME. They mention tech that uses the rain sensing wiper to power it so it is super easy. Since you're giving them hand, do you know how they plan on connecting it and if the Dongar will still be a cleaner look?
When I looked at it, I assumed that for an MME, their splitter would basically do what the Dongar adapter does. It would make the most sense, well, at least to me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, the Fitcamx doesn't need the Dongar adapter. It uses a similar pass-through splitter for power, except it plugs into the rain sensor module instead of the mirror dimming module. It's cleaner than the Dongar because the camera itself is integrated into the mirror surround so there isn't a wire coming out to a separate camera.

Here's a sneak peak. Don't pay attention to the ugly cream color, since this is just a 3D printed prototype. The production version will be black.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? 1659706493308

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? 1659706560101

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Just ordered one, glad I found this thread! I have a Viofo Plus Duo that I was planning on doing the fuse tap method. This will be so much easier.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will do. I'll create a new thread about it with pictures once I have the production version. The MME took longer than usual for Fitcamx to design because they only had access to the version of the MME sold in China, which has a different mirror surround. After trying the Chinese version, and being unhappy with the fit, I ended up sending my OEM camera surround to their 3D scanning partner in Florida to have it digitally scanned for the design.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will do. I'll create a new thread about it with pictures once I have the production version. The MME took longer than usual for Fitcamx to design because they only had access to the version of the MME sold in China, which has a different mirror surround. After trying the Chinese version, and being unhappy with the fit, I ended up sending my OEM camera surround to their 3D scanning partner in Florida to have it digitally scanned for the design.
Have you used their cameras in the past? How do you like them? There are SOOO MANY. Most people seem to not like the lack of 60hz recording. So this one you can check with your phone in real time while the car is on if you connect to the camera's WiFi, right? I've just seen a few people post about cameras that have that capability and we can't really use it if you use CarPlay since that uses WiFi and the car will constantly take over the WiFi connection. So tough, I just want a dash cam but can't pick!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you used their cameras in the past? How do you like them? There are SOOO MANY. Most people seem to not like the lack of 60hz recording. So this one you can check with your phone in real time while the car is on if you connect to the camera's WiFi, right? I've just seen a few people post about cameras that have that capability and we can't really use it if you use CarPlay since that uses WiFi and the car will constantly take over the WiFi connection. So tough, I just want a dash cam but can't pick!
Yeah, I've installed their cameras in my wife's RAV4 Prime and my son's Jeep Renegade. I've never used any other dashcams, so I don't really have anything to compare them to, but they've worked out great for me.

I never really thought dashcams were necessary, but then last year, somebody pulled out in front of my son (while he was driving the RAV4). He successfully swerved around her, but she claimed that he hit her car and dented the bumper (even though there was zero damage to the RAV). She filed a claim against our insurance company, which was ultimately denied due to lack of evidence, but it would have been a whole lot quicker and easier if I had dashcam footage.

The Fitcamx doesn't have a GPS, so you won't see the vehicle speed in the footage, but you can have it display the date and time. You can connect directly to the camera via WiFi, but you do have to turn off CarPlay on your phone temporarily to do that. I connected to WiFi to do the initial configuration and settings, but don't typically connect that way to view the footage because it's easier to just pop out the mini SD card and pop it into a computer.

Here's a screen grab from the Mach-E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? 1659727769354

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I've installed their cameras in my wife's RAV4 Prime and my son's Jeep Renegade. I've never used any other dashcams, so I don't really have anything to compare them to, but they've worked out great for me.

I never really thought dashcams were necessary, but then last year, somebody pulled out in front of my son (while he was driving the RAV4). He successfully swerved around her, but she claimed that he hit her car and dented the bumper (even though there was zero damage to the RAV). She filed a claim against our insurance company, which was ultimately denied due to lack of evidence, but it would have been a whole lot quicker and easier if I had dashcam footage.

The Fitcamx doesn't have a GPS, so you won't see the vehicle speed in the footage, but you can have it display the date and time. You can connect directly to the camera via WiFi, but you do have to turn off CarPlay on your phone temporarily to do that. I connected to WiFi to do the initial configuration and settings, but don't typically connect that way to view the footage because it's easier to just pop out the mini SD card and pop it into a computer.

Here's a screen grab from the Mach-E:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? 1659727769354
Oh, wow, that's good picture. Thanks for all the info! Do you think the quality is good enough to grab plates? Does vehicle speed even help? I guess for a speeding ticket, maybe? But for an accident, does it come up?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, wow, that's good picture. Thanks for all the info! Do you think the quality is good enough to grab plates? Does vehicle speed even help? I guess for a speeding ticket, maybe? But for an accident, does it come up?
Yeah, I can read plates in the footage as long as they're not too far away. I don't think speed is overly necessary. I guess it could help if somebody accused you of causing an accident by going too fast. Of course, it wouldn't help your case if you really were going to fast. :)

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Well after a couple of weeks having this sitting around, I finally had some time for the install. I was very leary at first since the cover seemed like a very snug fit and I was afraid I would break something. It finally popped loose and I took some time to route the wires and double stick tape the plugs so they wouldn't rattle. Cover went back on easier tha it came off, 20 minutes tops for the install and my Garmin Mini was back up and running.
Tony
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? IMG_20220810_145036809

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Right, the Fitcamx doesn't need the Dongar adapter. It uses a similar pass-through splitter for power, except it plugs into the rain sensor module instead of the mirror dimming module. It's cleaner than the Dongar because the camera itself is integrated into the mirror surround so there isn't a wire coming out to a separate camera.

Here's a sneak peak. Don't pay attention to the ugly cream color, since this is just a 3D printed prototype. The production version will be black.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dongar dash cam adapter installation. Anyone done it yet? IMG_20220810_145036809

That is so cool. Do they also offer a rear facing camera? 😊🐩