Electrify America complaints

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I have used EA charging 19 times so far. The charger placement or cable length never a problem for me, although sometimes it's a little awkward. With layout like OP's picture shows, I either use the charger with monitor facing the other way, or use the cable on the one facing the car but need to pull a little more. But they all worked.

I had twice charger failed to charge through P&C. Both times charger said payment failed, and car showed external charger fault. Both times the chargers were not accessible though EA app.

Last week I used from Tuesday through Friday, only paid once through EA app on Tuesday. All other charges either EA showed complementary, or didn't show this but in the end still $0.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. I've only used EA chargers three times - the first at a Safeway with the chargers at the front of the space and it pretty easy to get the cable to the charge port. The second two times were at at the same Target with side placement of the chargers. The time I pulled in everything lined up nicely for my MME and it was all good. But the second time I went there I had to move my car around a bunch to find a way to park it such that the cable reached and I didn't block a 350kW or a CHAdeMO charger. If I recall correctly, I got it done when another car pulled out of the spot I'd used the first time. Meanwhile an elderly man in an EQS struggled to find a spot that worked for his car, though that might have been operator error. (That said, he had also been at the same set of chargers on my first visit there and hadn't seemed to have had issues.)
I often end up using the cord from the charger facing the other direction when pulling up to those on-the-side chargers.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
That is the root of the problem! Free charging is causing charger congestion to be much worse! Free charging sucks.

But I am with you on using it - I just finished up my free EA kW last week, and of course I wasn't going to let it expire without using it.

Also, P&C is so great! Has anyone been able to get P&C to work with other stations like EVgo? I have not tried, but it looks like I will need to figure that out.
EVGo doesnā€™t support p&c

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
I've DCFC charged at EA several times without issue. Love it. 20%-95% in one hour exactly last night. Hit 80% in 40 minutes or so.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I've DCFC charged at EA several times without issue. Love it. 20%-95% in one hour exactly last night. Hit 80% in 40 minutes or so.
Yeah, I don't love the one hour charge at all. Way, way too long. Luckily most of my DCFC stops don't require a long charge. When they do, it sucks. And it will especially suck if you have to wait for a pump behind others who are also doing one hour charges. No thanks.

Volfan615

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cyber Orange GT Performance
Country flag
I guess I've been fortunate that my experiences, including road trips to pick up my cars have been positive. Always a space available, plug-n-charge worked, etc.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Iā€™ve never been able to get Geeenlots to do p&c
Shell Recharge (previously Greenlots) was removed from the P&C program. So, it will not work with P&C. Currently only EA is part of that program.

Additionally, I believe that all Shell Recharge stations (even the new ones) are max 150A, meaning that you'll only get about 54kW from them. They honestly suck. I'll have to look at the ratings sticker on one next week when I drive past a station to confirm.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
They honestly suck.
This.

Average charge rate for a Mach-e on Shell Recharge here is 0 kw (Old EFACEC units). Only one station is compatible with the MME and its CCS plug has been down for at least 8 months. If you call Shell Recharge they will tell you , ā€œThe Mach-e cannot fast charge. This is a known limitation with the car. You need to address your concerns to Ford.ā€ Donā€™t ask what they say when you point out the one station that does work with the MME.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Shell Recharge (previously Greenlots) was removed from the P&C program. So, it will not work with P&C. Currently only EA is part of that program.

Additionally, I believe that all Shell Recharge stations (even the new ones) are max 150A, meaning that you'll only get about 54kW from them. They honestly suck. I'll have to look at the ratings sticker on one next week when I drive past a station to confirm.
Two weeks ago I charged at Shell. 30 minutes to 80%. One hour to get to 100%. Great experience. 150A chargers do well over 100A to my GT with Electrify America. Shell Recharge did great for me.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
30 minutes to 80%.
From a start of 70%? šŸ˜‚

But in all honesty, mind posting the location of that charger so I can try to gather it's power output? Numbers are numbers, they don't magically do more than they are capable of. That being said, maybe the one you were at had a higher capability. I'd like to take a look.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Two weeks ago I charged at Shell. 30 minutes to 80%. One hour to get to 100%. Great experience. 150A chargers do well over 100A to my GT with Electrify America. Shell Recharge did great for me.
Are you mistaken amp with kW?
MME battery voltage is about 380V. Charging voltage should higher, let's say 400V, @150A it's 60kW.
Most EA stations are 150kW, and MME at 30% SOC should be able to pull in over 120kW, around 300A.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did 7 EA charges the last 2 days between Denver and Reno. 6 of the 7 went fine. 5 worked perfectly on the first attempt, while one I had to move over to a 2nd charger (routine procedure). But the last one (Winnemucca NV) has been a mess for a year. Charger #4 only got 31kw from one cable. Tried #3 and it wouldn't initiate at all (as though the car wasn't even plugged in). #2 was totally dead (black screen), and #1 tried to initiate but failed and switched to Unavailable. Then I did what I should have done first... moved back to #4 and tried the other cable. Worked perfectly (133kw).

I keep forgetting to do that when getting only ~31kw - just try the other cable on the same charger. 31kw usually means that cable isn't cooling like it should and it's being capped at the max non-cooled power level of 31kw.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are you mistaken amp with kW?
MME battery voltage is about 380V. Charging voltage should higher, let's say 400V, @150A it's 60kW.
Most EA stations are 150kW, and MME at 30% SOC should be able to pull in over 120kW, around 300A.
Th' numbers - a 150 charger charged me at around 138 to start, then drifted lower.
The next door 350 charger was charging a Polestar with similar charge to mine at 98 to start.
I charged 20-95% in about one hour
Same charger a week ago ? - 100% in 1 hour 12
Last night a 150 EA charger took me 10-81% in 44 minutes.
kW, Amps, Volts, state of charge % and time. Pick two.

Last edited:

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
From a start of 70%? šŸ˜‚

But in all honesty, mind posting the location of that charger so I can try to gather it's power output? Numbers are numbers, they don't magically do more than they are capable of. That being said, maybe the one you were at had a higher capability. I'd like to take a look.
A few to consider:

9200 S Western Evergreen Park, IL 10% - 81% 44 minutes 150 EA
4205 Commerce Dr. Lafayette, IN 28-97% 57 minutes 150 EA about 40 of that to 80%
They have 350 chargers, also. I was at a 150

Shell Recharge 11989 Hickman Rd Urbandale, IA 36-100 1hr 12. also about 40 minutes to 80%
Sponsored