EV6 does not come with a charger

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Someone sells an EV with no charging cable of any kind?
Someone else bought it? It must have been dirt cheap, like <$10,000.
Expecting to purchase a level one charger at a reasonable price and delivered quickly? Today's supply chain?
Seems some folks had to wait quite a while for their EVSE, but they were smart and planned ahead.
Mystified.
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I test drove a Premium and I was plenty happy with that and I'm certain that the GTPE would be "more better". I'm just disappointed with the blind roulette wheel ordering process the "almost there" performance promise. And when you see other vehicles that are living up to their realistic promises it just burns your butt - especially when you have respect for Ford since they didn't take the bailout.
That I understand. Don’t want to get burned and after ordering it there’s disappointment. I bought off the lot knowing about this 5 seconds so it’s a bit different. May still be worth your time finding one to drive, same for the Ioniq and EV6.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
the ford mobile charger is a waste since a lot of people don't have the adequate amp rating in the house for it and you can't adjust the amperage like you can with the tesla charger
Disagree. It is easy to put in a 14-50 outlet that will support the Ford Mobile Charger. The lack of ability to adjust the advertised amperage is a fair point, however.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
the ford mobile charger is a waste since a lot of people don't have the adequate amp rating in the house for it and you can't adjust the amperage like you can with the tesla charger
You know it can do 120V also, right?

That is enough for home charging over time or for charging at an outlet somewhere if necessary. I've used mine once - at a restaurant with EV spaces that were just 120V outlets. Did I get a lot of juice? No, but I got enough to cover the trip back to the hotel.

The mobile is great for "charging in a friend's garage" or "at a airport parking lot" (which pre-COVID I did with my Fusion Energi nearly weekly) or...

The idea that someone is shipping an EV (for most buyers, likely their first) with literally no way to charge it at home on delivery is insane.

And no, "free" EA doesn't make up for it, 800V or otherwise.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
You know it can do 120V also, right?

That is enough for home charging over time or for charging at an outlet somewhere if necessary. I've used mine once - at a restaurant with EV spaces that were just 120V outlets. Did I get a lot of juice? No, but I got enough to cover the trip back to the hotel.

The mobile is great for "charging in a friend's garage" or "at a airport parking lot" (which pre-COVID I did with my Fusion Energi nearly weekly) or...

The idea that someone is shipping an EV (for most buyers, likely their first) with literally no way to charge it at home on delivery is insane.

And no, "free" EA doesn't make up for it, 800V or otherwise.
id rather have the option of buying one that suits my needs than being forced to pay for one that's useless to me

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Someone sells an EV with no charging cable of any kind?
Someone else bought it? It must have been dirt cheap, like <$10,000.
Expecting to purchase a level one charger at a reasonable price and delivered quickly? Today's supply chain?
Seems some folks had to wait quite a while for their EVSE, but they were smart and planned ahead.
Mystified.
Amazon will have a Grizzl-E level 2 charger on your doorstep in three days for 450 bucks.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
id rather have the option of buying one that suits my needs than being forced to pay for one that's useless to me
I'm happy for you, but it's still insane.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) some utility companies try to dictate which EVSE you purchase(not necessarily the best for you)
2) a level 1 would be expected with all EVs. Of course they can be purchased (even from Home Depot)
3) looked for information saying no level 1 is included/not included. Not found (at least easily).
4) some folks choose not to support organized syndicates like Amazon (believe it or not, there was a time when small [and medium] sized businesses were a lifeblood of a now extinct Republic, located somewhere in the northern hemisphere of planet Earth. And this when those small businessmen kicked and fought to survive, against great odds [money])

The point being, it might come as a surprise to someone purchasing and expecting to use an EV that there was no way of charging include with their purchase.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
1) some utility companies try to dictate which EVSE you purchase(not necessarily the best for you)
2) a level 1 would be expected with all EVs. Of course they can be purchased (even from Home Depot)
3) looked for information saying no level 1 is included/not included. Not found (at least easily).
4) some folks choose not to support organized syndicates like Amazon (believe it or not, there was a time when small [and medium] sized businesses were a lifeblood of a now extinct Republic, located somewhere in the northern hemisphere of planet Earth. And this when those small businessmen kicked and fought to survive, against great odds [money])

The point being, it might come as a surprise to someone purchasing and expecting to use an EV that there was no way of charging include with their purchase.
maybe 1% of EV users use Level 1. I'm not against including a level 2 charger, just one that works with different amp ratings in different homes. Not just the 30 amp Ford charger that probably works with some homes.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
maybe 1% of EV users use Level 1. I'm not against including a level 2 charger, just one that works with different amp ratings in different homes. Not just the 30 amp Ford charger that probably works with some homes.
Maybe. Assumption.
We use a Level 1(for years) for the bulk of our charging. Two EVs. Have one plugged in most of the daylight hours using our solar panels directly when we collect light energy from the sun.
Use EVSE infrequently (for rare trips > 50 miles round trip). Force ourselves to use EVSE occasionally (to make sure it still works!).
Lessons learned in the last century (waste not, want not). Drove 30mpg+ vehicles for the most part. The pick up (yes, there was such a thing then) was a 1ton, EFI light truck. And it even was a 30mpg+ vehicle for twenty years.
We had to work, save and invest in order to be able to install the solar, buy the EVs.

EVSEs do require some additional wiring. At least mine did.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
you'd think so but apparently

if there wasn't the email I screencapped I don't know how I would know, and I started the thread, especially when it's not being talked about in reviews and, based on what others said earlier, some non-US places do get one.

I cannot imagine it not being a surprise to literally every purchaser unless they saw the email and didn't just ignore it as spam.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I talked with a Kia owner at a fast charging station, he had just received his car and says he was having trouble getting a charger installed at home. It didn't register to me that it might not come with a portable charger.

I think it's a fine decision, as long as the dealer is up front about it. Some people may already have a charger or want to use a third party option. No need to bake the cost into every EV sold.

*Please note, this comment is not meant to be negative towards any non-Ford EV...

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger also comes with a NEMA 5-15 plug that will draw 12A at 120V. How many homes in the US will that NOT work with?
if you have a 5 mile commute that would probably work