Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
EV6 does not come with a charger... like, at all:

1643723154934.png

I haven't watched every review video or anything but I have yet to see anyone mention this. Seems like a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very stupid decision on Kia's part to not even include a 120V mobile charger.

I'm sure there will be no Kia dealers selling $199 chargers for $999 as part of the financed install because "convenience" - I mean, Kia dealers have such a stellar reputation. ?

True. But the trade-off

The EV6 and Ioniq5 have 800v DC charging capability - half the time. And a ten year/100k mile battery warranty. (Ioniq5 is also throwing in two years of free DC fast charging.)

If I have to wait another six months for my throttled-back GTPE, I may bail.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
True. But the trade-off

The EV6 and Ioniq5 have 800v DC charging capability - half the time. And a ten year/100k mile battery warranty. (Ioniq5 is also throwing in two years of free DC fast charging.)

The Ioniq and EV6 both look great, but I feel like the GTPE and those two cars may not be for the same person? The EV6 GT sounds like it will be awesome, but it's basically vaporware right now.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
The Ioniq and EV6 both look great, but I feel like the GTPE and those two cars may not be for the same person? The EV6 GT sounds like it will be awesome, but it's basically vaporware right now.
That's another reason I may bail. Ford throttled back the GTPE and made IT vaporware. That put me "other car" category whether I like it or not. Five seconds of fun is not what I signed up for.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
True. But the trade-off

the battery warranty is 8 year / 100,000 on the Mach-E... so if you drive at least 12,500 miles a year over the 8 years, that's a wash. But if not, then yes, the extra 2 years might matter. There's a legitimate point to be had there for some owners.

The years of "free" charging have been debated on here over and over again in the context of the ID.4 and there's not really any point in getting into it all over again here.

The 800v DCFC value depends very much on what chargers you have access to and how much road tripping you do, which like the battery warranty means a legitimate point for some but not for all.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Its actually OK with me, like the Apple no-charger policy too.
I always buy a better charger than OEM, both for car and the phone. There are plenty of better options on the market.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it's a reasonable cost cut IF the dealers are good about explaining the need for a charger to buyers and not gouging them on it.

I've kept my Ford mobile charger in my Mach-E just in case, but after almost a year, I have used it zero times when out and about, and only used it for a few weeks when I first got the Mach-E before I had the electrician come by and set up my ChargePoint Home Flex.

If I had the choice, I would be happy to have saved a few hundred bucks and not gotten it. I suspect this will also become standard over time, once EVs spread more, and pretty much everyone installs L2 charging at their houses and apartment buildings.

Maybe they are a bit premature in doing this though, lots of people don't research new and expensive tech (like their first EV purchase) nearly as much as they should.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
the ford mobile charger is a waste since a lot of people don't have the adequate amp rating in the house for it and you can't adjust the amperage like you can with the tesla charger

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Are you sure it comes with the V2L adapter? Reviewers in Canada have said that it's a $300 accessory. Not sure about the US, but I assume it's similar.
Is V2L adapter something I can purchase for MME and it will work with a US spec MME?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
bummer...but that is what I thought...I know it will be there for the F150 in the US...but this was the first I heard that it was even an option on the MME anywhere. I wonder why they prevent it from working on the MME in the USA.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
bummer...but that is what I thought...I know it will be there for the F150 in the US...but this was the first I heard that it was even an option on the MME anywhere. I wonder why they prevent it from working on the MME in the USA.
It‘s not an option for the MME anywhere. The discussion was about the Kia EV6.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
That's another reason I may bail. Ford throttled back the GTPE and made IT vaporware. That put me "other car" category whether I like it or not. Five seconds of fun is not what I signed up for.
But again, the GTPE and any available trim of these other hatches arent entirely comparable. Maybe a premium is

And if you’re not tracking your GTPE then seriously don’t worry about the 5 second thing. I drove mine hard for the first time today and it was freaking fun. If you’re angry at Ford then that’s a different story.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
But again, the GTPE and any available trim of these other hatches arent entirely comparable. Maybe a premium is

And if you’re not tracking your GTPE then seriously don’t worry about the 5 second thing. I drove mine hard for the first time today and it was freaking fun. If you’re angry at Ford then that’s a different story.

I test drove a Premium and I was plenty happy with that and I'm certain that the GTPE would be "more better". I'm just disappointed with the blind roulette wheel ordering process the "almost there" performance promise. And when you see other vehicles that are living up to their realistic promises it just burns your butt - especially when you have respect for Ford since they didn't take the bailout.
Sponsored