Explained: The Thermal Problem with Mach-E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So when the GTPE goes into grey bars (avoiding the turtle mode term since I think it is inaccurate), is then just as fast as a premium (or FE) or is it then slower than a premium?
Based on trap speeds and unbridled extend tests, it seems to be “just as fast” as a premium when the gray bars of shame appear.
Sponsored

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Biggest thing I found is all current mach E have the button to turn of ESC. It makes me think they should add in that to us early adapters threw the software interface to turn it off. Let us have a way to have the same amount of fun.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Keep in mind that Kyle's reviews generally focus on his two loves: performance cars and practical/affordable daily drivers; he doesn't seem to have much love for everything in between. This is why he loves the Porsche Taycan (performance) and the ID.3 / ID.4 (practical/affordable). The MME is stuck firmly between the two, and it just doesn't fit into Kyle's schema of what a great car is.

I still love his videos, and his perspective is usually spot on. I also think his rightful bashing of the MME's charging curve helped to push Ford to address that in an upcoming OTA.
This is a really good point. I’m NOT a high performance speed guy, but my Premium 4X is fun, exciting to drive, and tools around as fast as I need/want it to while still hauling those kids and groceries. The Mach-E is a high performance “Dadmobile,” (in as much as it’s not “high performance,” but “high performance for a Dad car”) and I love it for that.

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
I haven't been watching Kyle for very long, but i think it's clear from his GTPE review out in SF that he was SUPER EXCITED for the GTPE, his expectations were so high, and that he had every intention of buying one for himself. Re-watch the vid. He was SO STOKED for Unbridled Extend, he thought it was some SUPER PERFORMANCE more that would let him race the car forever. And then when he realized it wasn't what he expected, he started to deflate. He wanted to love the GTPE, specifically for this mode, and it let him down. He was crestfallen. Towards the end of the video he still says he's thinking about buying one (but subconsciously he is already going through denial-sadness-acceptance). And then he says it is WAY better than Tesla Y Performance in every way (performance wise). Watching the videos since then it's been a continuing downward spiral till he get to "it's garbage" - this is a fanboy who feels betrayed. He really had the wrong idea about the extend mode. Oh well. It's still a monster car, as he says in this podcast... ;)

Regarding the thermals, he says it goes into "Turtle Mode" after 5 minutes. Do you all concur on this? Has anyone done a hill climb or long twisty run in simply 'unbridled' and been totally let down? If so, i haven't read it on this forum or seen vid about it. It hasn't happened to me. But then again, I live outside Houston, and we don't have any hills to climb, or any twisty roads. Damn. =
I'm not experiencing the same "Turtle Mode" Kyle is speaking of. The power is there. I'm extremely satisfied with the power and quickness. It's a blast...I find I want to drive more and more. In fact I'm going for another drive right now.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I haven't been watching Kyle for very long, but i think it's clear from his GTPE review out in SF that he was SUPER EXCITED for the GTPE, his expectations were so high, and that he had every intention of buying one for himself. Re-watch the vid. He was SO STOKED for Unbridled Extend, he thought it was some SUPER PERFORMANCE more that would let him race the car forever. And then when he realized it wasn't what he expected, he started to deflate. He wanted to love the GTPE, specifically for this mode, and it let him down. He was crestfallen. Towards the end of the video he still says he's thinking about buying one (but subconsciously he is already going through denial-sadness-acceptance). And then he says it is WAY better than Tesla Y Performance in every way (performance wise). Watching the videos since then it's been a continuing downward spiral till he get to "it's garbage" - this is a fanboy who feels betrayed. He really had the wrong idea about the extend mode. Oh well. It's still a monster car, as he says in this podcast... ;)

Regarding the thermals, he says it goes into "Turtle Mode" after 5 minutes. Do you all concur on this? Has anyone done a hill climb or long twisty run in simply 'unbridled' and been totally let down? If so, i haven't read it on this forum or seen vid about it. It hasn't happened to me. But then again, I live outside Houston, and we don't have any hills to climb, or any twisty roads. Damn. =
Agree about Kyle’s videos. It seems like with each review he forgets what he liked last time. If you watch is review of the non GT (can’t recall which version) it is very positive. Then he reviews the GT and GTPE and seems to badmouth the non GT. Huh? And in this latest podcast seems to have mostly lost enthusiasm for the GTPE. Hard to know what to make of that other than he seems a bit flaky. Any one video is entertaining to watch but when taken together I have to scratch my head and wonder if he can ever be happy with something for any length of time.

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I got a feeling that Ford is being really conservative with the Mach-e since even one thermal runaway could ruin the brand. The media are primed and ready to tank any electric vehicle that catches fire, even though ICE vehicles are much more prone to these issues.

It's unfortunate for people with first model year cars because they are the unpaid beta testers in a way. I can't wait to see what comes out in the next 5 to 10 years.

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
ooof, you're giving me second thoughts.
Same here. Even getting second thoughts on my Lightning Reservation. I mean it sounds like he's not even driving hard the car just starts holding back.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Correct. As a former ID.4 owner... you can't compare it to the Select RWD (which is the same price as the base Pro) because the ID.4 RWD is a 270+ mile range for $39K MSRP (plus $1.1K destination) which actually gets 300 miles in mixed driving from my experience.

ID.4 is a family SUV with a family friendly price for the range. The RT1 RWD with the same range is $10K more than the ID.4 Pro RWD.
In a different time and place, the base ID.4 would have destroyed the Japanese (CRV, RAV4, CX5, Rogue, etc.). It's better and it's cheaper with the tax credits. The only real use cases where that isn't true is a long road trip but with free EA charging it might arguably be better for road trips too. And, the ID.4's biggest weakness, a poor infotainment UI, is still equal to, and probably better than 3 of those listed above.

It deserves better.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Same here. Even getting second thoughts on my Lightning Reservation. I mean it sounds like he's not even driving hard the car just starts holding back.
If you want the drive it like you’re at the track, put it in unbridled extend and beat on it to your hearts content.

If you want full power and tq, you are limited to 5 seconds at a time. And as long as you wait about 10 seconds between runs, you’re good to do it again.

It really just depends on how you drive.
Sponsored