Finally really felt the 5 second limit

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Yet another drama filled thread with folks who want to drive a race car on public roads. Y’all are edge cases. The vast majority of MME drivers will never encounter the issue you all seem to have going to the grocery store.
Plenty of people have no problem pottering around on the road and are still annoyed, it has nothing to do with trying to break the sound barrier on the trip to a grocery store and all to do with the expectations from what ford marketing was selling and what was delivered when the GT/GTPE finally turned up in customers hands.

Stick your head in the sand all you want but this is and has always been the issue for a lot of people as there are plenty of places in the world that people can legally exploit the performance they assumed that ford where going to deliver based on the marketing.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...mustang-mach-e-gt-gt-performance-edition.html

Ford where marketing customers this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally really felt the 5 second limit 1685932355769

While delivered customers this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally really felt the 5 second limit 1685932487506

For earlier adopters this is an issue and has no doubt negativity impacted those customers thoughts in regards to making any future EV purchase a ford. There are plenty of times in the past when what marketing had been promising engineering have been unable to deliver it is how you handle it that is the issue and for a lot of people on this front ford has also failed miserably.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
[QUOTE
Yet another drama filled thread with folks who want to drive a race car on public roads. Y’all are edge cases. The vast majority of MME drivers will never encounter the issue you all seem to have going to the grocery store.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally really felt the 5 second limit IMG_3063

OP
OP

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Very well stated @buzznwood ! I think anyone who doesn’t consider this to be an issue is just trying to fool themselves. Or, they aren’t using the vehicle as it was intended/advertised. If you don’t care about performance, why would you buy any kind of a Mustang?

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There's also a lot of people, like yourself, that wish to drive slower than my 93yo grandmother, but we don't come here to say anything about it. We just honk and flash our lights at you for camping in the left lane, which is also illegal.

Some of us don't like the high speed performance and think it should be improved. Some of us like taking cars on the track and some of us don't really give a damn what anyone else on the forum thinks, but we would like Ford to know that we want more power.

I'm sorry that you are bothered because some of us want something that you don't want. It's a rough world out there.
I agree. My wife now has a non performance model y and hit 12.1 vs me at 12.6 in the quarrer mile. Now she is adding the performance upgrade to get into 11s for $2000. Even for us in our 70 yr that started drag racing in the early 60s enjoy a couple days in summer at Pittsburgh raceway. The 5 second limitation is really bad!
Lastly to say the GTPE is a red lite to red lite beast. A ss camaro was too easy!

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
1. It is quick.
2. It will not get close to 330 miles of range unless you only drive slow and in town.
3. The build quality is still very bad.

Source: recently had a Y and 3 from Hertz for an extended period. Particular issue is the frameless windows failing to seal properly, the 3 actually leaked some when driving on the highway during a normal rain event. Plus, it was loud af because of the leak. The Y was the same but didn’t leak water. Both were 2022s with low miles that still smelled new.

My 2002 Firebird Formula with t-tops actually had better water resistance, it only leaked a bit in high pressure washes. The 3 we rented would have allowed water to literally pour in had we gone through a wash in it.

I hope your experience is much better.
Agreed. I currently have a 2021 Model Y LR and am about to trade it in for the MME GT. I have 34k miles on the Tesla with a lifetime efficiency of 3.8 miles/kwh. With the 75 kWh battery in the Tesla, that's a 285 mile range. That driving is a 50/50 mix of highway road trips and everyday driving, in weather ranging from 15 to 95 degrees.

My last cold weather road trip was 27 degrees over 410 miles with a 2.6 mi/kWh efficiency, or a range of 195 miles. The last warmer weather trip of 76 degrees was 4.0 mi/kWh, or a 300 mile range for that same trip (cross state to pick up / drop off my son at college)

JLowe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
67 Camaro, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Country flag
How does the GT 5-second nanny respond at less than full throttle? Does it still kick in if you accelerate at 90% or 80%?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
How does the GT 5-second nanny respond at less than full throttle? Does it still kick in if you accelerate at 90% or 80%?
Yes.

The grey bar on the power meter shows it.

Time is only one of the many limiting factors.

Also in play-
Speed- power limited at all throttle positions above 72 mph

Battery temp- limited when too hot or too cold

External air temp- limited when too hot or too cold

Battery discharge rate over time- more complicated but basically the more juice you squeeze in a shorter time period, the more limited power you get.

Battery charge- under 70% charge starts to limit power.

and any combination of the above.

Basically you only get 5 full seconds in good weather, full charge, starting at 0 mph and if you haven’t driven hard recently.

Colt

First Name
Aundre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I have felt the 5 second full power limitation, and if you are aware of it, you can drive around it, kind of. But today, since I have a fresh new upgraded HVJB, I was passing a car on a two lane road, was immediately behind another car that was going below the speed limit (55), so I punched throttle again to pass, and yeah, second throttle event had like 2 seconds of power, then it felt like molasses. It’s a real thing, I had enough juice to get around the car, but it’s something that prospective buyers should be aware of.
I have a Mach E⁴ SELECT 2021. I've been trying to search for an answer all around but can't seem to find one. Does my model have a "power limiter"? (Not that it has "power" lol)

OP
OP

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a Mach E⁴ SELECT 2021. I've been trying to search for an answer all around but can't seem to find one. Does my model have a "power limiter"? (Not that it has "power" lol)
Mmm, not like the GT does. There is a deceleration at higher speed, but it isn’t an attempt to throttle to protect as much as the inherent limitations of the Select.

Unobtanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6 GT
Country flag
I do not have a GT so do not know what the extra power through those 5 seconds feel like. After the 5 seconds, when you said it felt like molasses, is the power that you do still have equivalent to what a non-GT AWD ER may have? Just curious.
It's actually probably worse, considering both cars trap about the same in the 1/4, and yet the GT gets a massive head start.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's actually probably worse, considering both cars trap about the same in the 1/4, and yet the GT gets a massive head start.
Hard to extrapolate from the 1/4 mile. What we need is a side by side rolling race.

My bet is the GT will barely win, but it will be embarrassingly close side by side.

Yes they trap around 103 mph each in the 1/4 mile. But the GT gets to that speed and distance 1 second sooner.

The power drop from flooring it from a stop at 70 mph is more than the power drop from a rolling race starting at 70 mph.

Unobtanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6 GT
Country flag
Hard to extrapolate from the 1/4 mile. What we need is a side by side rolling race.

My bet is the GT will barely win, but it will be embarrassingly close side by side.

Yes they trap around 103 mph each in the 1/4 mile. But the GT gets to that speed and distance 1 second sooner.

The power drop from flooring it from a stop at 70 mph is more than the power drop from a rolling race starting at 70 mph.
If they both arrive at the same terminal velocity, but one got there a second quicker, yet the distance was the same...I can tell you which one slowed down the worst...

But yes, from a roll the GT will be a bit better until the limit hits. Both cars have a very low top speed, so it won't really matter much.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If they both arrive at the same terminal velocity, but one got there a second quicker, yet the distance was the same...I can tell you which one slowed down the worst...

But yes, from a roll the GT will be a bit better until the limit hits. Both cars have a very low top speed, so it won't really matter much.
If you want to use simple math that we know-

0-60 the GT is 1 second faster
0-103 the GT is 1 second faster

So 60-103 (when starting from zero mph) they’re pretty much equal. Which is lame.

They can’t bring us the power update fast enough. It’s literally the only complaint about the GT performance.

Unobtanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6 GT
Country flag
If you want to use simple math that we know-

0-60 the GT is 1 second faster
0-103 the GT is 1 second faster

So 60-103 (when starting from zero mph) they’re pretty much equal. Which is lame.

They can’t bring us the power update fast enough. It’s literally the only complaint about the GT performance.
1 second quicker...over the same distance at the same terminal velocity = bigger power cut.
Sponsored