Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
We are both a Turo Host (not for our Mach-E though LOL) and we use Turo all the time (I personally rent a Mach-E from a host in Sacramento frequently). I can tell you that Turo is a bit of a mixed bag, but can be very effective. Here are our recommendations:
  • Finally be prepared to be an EV Educator and advocate, 95% of the time this will be the first time the guest has driven an EV so they are sure to have LOTS of questions, how to charge, where to charge, etc. We would recommend building up some Canned Messages that you store somewhere to provide this type of information.
The best is to be over-communicative on your expectations, as well as your process and procedures for pickup, drop off, approval, inspection etc. I hope this helps, and if you have questions you can message me (over a year as a host now).
Our local EV group had a meet up at a supermarket with free Level 2 chargers. We met a Turo user from California there with a EV rental who never drove an EV and did not get any sort of briefing from the owner. The car did not even have a mobile charger. We tried our best to brief about range, level 3 vs level 2, and if the car had enough range for what they wanted to do during the rental period. Talk about getting thrown into the deep end.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Yep. Youā€™ll definitely be involved if he kills somebody robs a bank or just decides to go to a political rally and the car is set afire.

thereā€™s not a chance I would let my car out to anyone else in the future the world is different now thatā€™s why thereā€™s Hertz and Avis ā€¦.let them take the risk. I bet you they donā€™t routinely ask their stockholders if they should be scared to let the cars out to others and thereā€™s a reason why ā€¦.theyā€™re indemnified for it ā€¦..youā€™re not
PS itā€™s not the same as having them buy an insurance policy to cover their own ass
They could care less about you
Jes sayin
Turo is the Airbnb of party ā€¦.only itā€™s mobile
My wife wonā€™t even let me drive the car. And I pay the payments!

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
My wife wonā€™t even let me drive the car. And I pay the payments!
Been there done that. My perfect paired unit rocks a Genny G90 That closes itā€™s own doors. She bought it on a dare. She traded her S class Mercedes for it straight up we didnā€™t have a car payment or a penny exchanged I told her sheā€™d hate it and go buy a new Benz a week later.
Two months later it is clearly the best car we have ever owned. It literally does everything and it does it sweetly and silently ā€¦it does close the doors. Just like the S Class. For 80 K Less

I am only allowed in after my thrice weekly shower. Since I gave it so much grief on its initial arrival I got to drive it to brunch once and buy for her and for gal pals. 2 months ago. Itā€™s an awesome car giant V-8 just owns the road.

She just told me she could sell it now for about $10000 more than its original list price
Like 70K

sigh. She doesnā€™t trust me much in cars anymoreā€¦

Jes sayin

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

Artsakh29

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME RWP
Country flag
I dunno ā€¦..
Iā€™m not sharing my home my vehicle ā€¦or my wife with anyoneā€¦ā€¦
I love them all too much and in the first two cases Iā€™ve worked too hard to make them just like I like it. The wife was perfect upon release.

I can see no amount of money that would make leasing any of them out really be of any true intrinsic value to me. I can see dozens of downsides

jes sayin
Is there a Turo for wives? Lol

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I listed my car in Turo, and someone booked my MME GT for this weekend. Should I be worried? Any tips? Thoughts about the app?
Should you be worried? Yes, yes you should.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
You should check out The Kilowatts on YouTube. Ryan owns several Teslas and makes a good deal of money putting them on Turo. He had a Mach-E for awhile but sold it because he couldn't rent it while the windshield recall was pending. Here's his playlist of videos about his Turo fleet.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
if I wanted to do this i would get a separate car that would just be rental all the time lmao. Ain't no one touching my GT with a 10 foot pole, said my wife.

Wish you all the luck though.
Yeah, Iā€™d need a separate car to do this with, too much attachment to my Mach-E.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag

tpc961

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't know about California, but I was in the insurance business in Il for 45 years. Your personal auto policy will not cover you when rented out. You would need a commercial policy! Don't do it.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Nice, you'll pay for a significant portion of your monthly financing with a weekend rental.
And when they wrap it around a tree you'll wait another 9 months to get a new one... This is so not worth it on any level.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Also don't accept all renters, I would disable instant book for the GT and vet your Renters. Look if they have been rated, see what their hosts have commented on, and message the guest. Have a little bit of a conversation about what they are doing and why to get a feeling of how they will take care of your card.
Good advice. I would look for a reputable customer, maybe a fire-fighter or a police officer.

Yeah, how can you go wrong renting a vehicle to a cop? Oops!

I-Team: Rented Rolls Royce went airborne ā€˜sending sparks flyingā€™ in crash that killed police officer; no occupants wearing seat belts

by: David Charns

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 / 02:43 PM PDT

Updated: Sep 23, 2021 / 06:17 PM PDT
https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-t...g-seat-belts-new-haven-connecticut-las-vegas/