RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Is anyone had any issues with rear hatch foot activation. I have a premium model. The foot activation just does not work. I have verified that it is turned on in setting. No matter where I wave my foot will not open. It will open with button and closes with the close button. Any ideas before I have to take back to dealer that is 90 miles away?
Instructions are in the manual... for best results, stand far enough away so the hatch doesn't hit you on the way up, right behing the license plate, then swing your leg directly at the car. Side to side doesn't work well.
Sponsored

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'll chime in that I have had a pretty hard time with it. It seems to work better for my wife who has the actual fob, rather than me using phone as a key. For me with PAAK, it has worked maybe 10% of the time.

I will admit to having done a pretty dramatic foot wave back and forth, not a kick in and out as people have mentioned in this thread, so I will give that a shot. I will say I think my issue is PAAK just as much as anything. Sometimes I hit the button on the liftgate 5 or 6 times over the course of 15 seconds before it decides to open, at which point I imagine I could riverdance under that sensor and it still wouldn't work.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Mine works about 85% of the time. Just a kick and pull back motion under the license plate. Not sure why it's not 100%. Nowadays I just skip the foot motion and just push the button unless my hands are full :confused:.

I have the fob with me at all times but also have PaaK set up on my phone (also with me at all times)
Do you have the fob and the phone in the same pocket? If you do they will interfere with each other.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
FOB only for me. PaaK has completely stopped working. Ford App no longer shows Bluetooth connected, ever. It seems to be related to being the second configured PaaK device. PaaK works for my wife’s phone which was the first one configured.

Perhaps I should have a chat with the car and remind it it is mine ?.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I've never been able to get it to work with PAAK. Works "most" of the time with the fob, per my wife.

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had my MME about 2 months. Been trying to get the tailgate to open but with no success except once. Seeing I am not alone, I just went out in the garage and started my dance. It took about 12 kicks before it opened. Tried left foot, then right foot. Both worked but not every time. I also kicked and moved right and left. Kick with the right worked, but not left, I am left-handed, also left footed. I repeated what worked but it did not continue to work. I went under car with the key fob and moved it all around and it worked. I continued to move it around and it closed.

So, we will probably continue to just push buttons. What I have learned is on the scene if you push “Access’ you will see an icon of the tailgate open in the lower left of the scene. I push that before I get out when I need to open the rear.

I just never knew how entertaining this MME could be.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
I have had my MME about 2 months. Been trying to get the tailgate to open but with no success except once. Seeing I am not alone, I just went out in the garage and started my dance. It took about 12 kicks before it opened. Tried left foot, then right foot. Both worked but not every time. I also kicked and moved right and left. Kick with the right worked, but not left, I am left-handed, also left footed. I repeated what worked but it did not continue to work. I went under car with the key fob and moved it all around and it worked. I continued to move it around and it closed.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This isn’t the Rocky Horror Picture Show folks. It’s literally just a kick. No step to the left, no jump to the right, etc... ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Mine works 100% of the time on the first kick.
1) I use the fob, not PAAK. You must have the fob on you (I think it says within 3 feet). It doesn't work with the fob sitting in the cup holder.
2) It works whether the car is unlocked or not.
3) I use a straight, swift kick - just pretend you're kicking your pony in the nuts!

GJG-Mach-E

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So...I can open the rear hatch with the kick motion every time. But it NEVER opens when I try to use the interior button for the hatch in the Sync4 display. I'm searching the forum for this issue but haven't found a thread on it yet.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Lift gate question:

When my car is parked in the garage with garage door closed, the lift arc might hit the garage door when swinging.

I deactivated the foot motion feature just case the kids mess around in the garage.

Should I deactivate the automatic open too and set it to manual?

In theory if anyone messes around with my phone they could pop the liftgate while the car is parked.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Lift gate question:

When my car is parked in the garage with garage door closed, the lift arc might hit the garage door when swinging.

I deactivated the foot motion feature just case the kids mess around in the garage.

Should I deactivate the automatic open too and set it to manual?

In theory if anyone messes around with my phone they could pop the liftgate while the car is parked.
You can set/limit the height to which the lift gate opens. When the hatch is open, it's the button on the left. While it's opening, push that button and continue to hold it. It will then open only to that height every time in the future.

Refer to the manual for specifics.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
You can set/limit the height to which the lift gate opens. When the hatch is open, it's the button on the left. While it's opening, push that button and continue to hold it. It will then open only to that height every time in the future.

Refer to the manual for specifics.
It's not the final height the issue. It's at the bottom of the arc where it swings a few inches beyond the rear plane of the bumper. I could park the car a bit further up front, but that would block access to the stairs our of the garage.

It's a very subtle issue, since my Volt had the hatch open straight up and never would have hit the door.
Sponsored