Ford mobile charger - does it need a neutral wire?

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
looking to temporarily install a 1450 recptacle, until I get (likely the emporia) home charger.

That unit comes with a 1450 male, but in the hardwire instructions you see it doesn't use a neutral, just the 2 wires for 240v get removed, then a 2 conductor cable inserted for hardwire.

If the ford mobile charger doesnt need a neutral, its less expensive to install the 1450 initially with 2 wire vs 3.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Virtually no EVSE should need a neutral wire. my EVSE doesn't even have the neutral from the plug to the unit (openEVSE)

OP
OP

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
i dont disagree.

The ford mobile unit goes 120 or 240, and in the 120 mode would obviously need a neutral for the return, however it has a multipin adapter to deal with that.

Curious if anyone has wired a 1450 less the neutral for the ford mobile adapter.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
IS the wiring for this location completed already? If not, why not just have a neutral added for "future"?
I had wiring run for hardwired chargers, which don't require a neutral. I insisted they run 4 wires so I, or a future owner, could use an outlet instead of hardwiring.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I had wiring run for hardwired chargers, which don't require a neutral. I insisted they run 4 wires so I, or a future owner, could use an outlet instead of hardwiring.
exactly, if you are going to pull wire to an outlet, you might as well pull all conductors needed for a standard outlet in case you or future owner wants a plug-in outlet available for other use.... like shop tools, or an emergency generator

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
The 14-50 outlet needs a neutral wire to meet code. The charger does not need a neutral wire to operate.

If you're eventually going to hardwire a charger in, you're fine without a neutral as long as that's all you're using the outlet for. When you go to sell the house though - any decent inspector will call out a 14-50 outlet without a neutral and it'll cost a lot more to fix it later.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 2500, mazdaspeed 3, mazda 3, '23 GTPE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Are you only installing the outlet temporarily while you wait for your hard wired unit? I speculate you will be ok based upon how typical EVSE are constructed. Just don't let anyone plug in something else to that outlet in the mean time.

My suggestion is to just buy the Emporia now, but I'm biased as I love me some data metrics. It's only $399 from Amazon.

OP
OP

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
yep, all good comments.
The charger is $699+ taxes in Canada, so later.
3c vs 2c cable is $250 more for the run I need.

Temporary install till fall.
Even a used breaker at $50 - lucked out there.
Also factored code regulation for receptacle being 2.5M above grade not needing a $275 gfi.

All those bits add up, when the end requirement is to hardwire a 2c, and not need a gfci.

Just want the mobile charger to work in the interim. Suppose if it doesn't, then the home charger gets moved up the priority list.

However if I needed the receptacle, I agree with all the comments.

Final installation will be inspected this fall, doing it all code with the minor exception of a 2c for a few months. Still waiting till July for the Mach to arrive. Meanwhile floor mats and a few other acc's to get in interim. Only so many loonies to go around :(

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
If you wanted to be to code, you could legally use a NEMA 6-50R which is a 3 prong (two hots and a ground) and then use a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter for your portable EVSE. You're just adding another component into the mix, though. Just make sure you have a quality receptacle and adapter. 🤷‍♂️

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yep, all good comments.
The charger is $699+ taxes in Canada, so later.
3c vs 2c cable is $250 more for the run I need.

Temporary install till fall.
Even a used breaker at $50 - lucked out there.
Also factored code regulation for receptacle being 2.5M above grade not needing a $275 gfi.

All those bits add up, when the end requirement is to hardwire a 2c, and not need a gfci.

Just want the mobile charger to work in the interim. Suppose if it doesn't, then the home charger gets moved up the priority list.

However if I needed the receptacle, I agree with all the comments.

Final installation will be inspected this fall, doing it all code with the minor exception of a 2c for a few months. Still waiting till July for the Mach to arrive. Meanwhile floor mats and a few other acc's to get in interim. Only so many loonies to go around :(
Just something to think about - you just spent maybe $50 - $60k for your EV - to nickel and dime your electrical which can cause you a nightmare down the road seems shortsighted. You can read several posts where installation have overheated and failed. Charging EV’S takes a high and continuous current that can heat things up.

OP
OP

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
Just something to think about - you just spent maybe $50 - $60k for your EV - to nickel and dime your electrical which can cause you a nightmare down the road seems shortsighted. You can read several posts where installation have overheated and failed. Charging EV’S takes a high and continuous current that can heat things up.
just had that conversation with myself :) I've started a return on the receptacle and ordered the Emporia. Buy once, cry once - do it right the first time. After all its really my most important 'accessory' for the vehicle.

Just had to switch my priorities up and gotta say seeing the responses pushing me to reconsider ... well, made me reconsider lol!

Thanks!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
To use 240v charging, the mobile charger needs L1, L2, & Ground ... does _not_ need Neutral.

OP
OP

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
To use 240v charging, the mobile charger needs L1, L2, & Ground ... does _not_ need Neutral.

Thanks ,,, I tried to find documentation on it, but its pretty well hidden.

Still, think I'll get the home charger now vs later. But thats good intel in the event the home charger croaks at some point.

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
your plan to expect the Fors Mobile charger to be a good plan is the wrong basis for this project - see many other threads revealing it isn't built for every day use.

Your plan is not in compliance with electrical codes. If you were to ignore the reasons for codes, I do wonder -
- how is it cheaper, easier faster (or whatever measure) to run wire twice - you are either running 6-2 cable to later replace with 6-3 cable or adding a conductor to a conduit run after it's all installed. Either approach is more expensive and a complete PITA - and if *I* did that, it'd never get done because I was "close enough" until something bad happened - might be fire, or just a failed home inspection when trying to sell the house, etc

I appreciate your interest in doing this in small steps, but take the advise from this forum - jump in now and do it as right as you can with as robust electrical components you can find. you'll appreciate not having to trouble shoot and replace things later.
Sponsored