Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There was a video that showed the technique, but what I do is lower the hood until there is about a 10" gap and then make a quick downward motion and flex of my wrist (similar to shooting a basketball) to quickly close it. It closes for me all the time now. Of course I've been doing this in warm weather since I saw the video in the spring, so we'll see if it works in the winter.
Sponsored

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Does everyone have these rubber cap type thingys? Pulled both mine off, and at least now I can close the Frunk by applying pressure with both hands while it's resting on the latch. Kinda scared to go back to slamming it shut like I was with these pieces removed. Normal for everyone, or something they maybe forgot to pull off?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630087166614

Reference pic for location:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630087396042

Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630087216951

After:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630087337250

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Normal for everyone, or something they maybe forgot to pull off?
No, those are not supposed to come off. They look like they are cushions to soften the blow of the hood being closed.

Bram12

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I also do the lower slowly and then push down
I was doing this also, but as a friend and also Mach E owner pointed out, it doesn't sound good, meaning it sounds like you're going to damage something. So I now let it go down slowly and with one hand along each hood bump I push it, and it closes every time.
I agree. Not sure slamming is the way to go. Bringing hood down slowly and then pushing down firmly seems to be working better for me and it definitely sounds better for the car. In any case manual says if you using the gravity method, drop should only be 10-14 inches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630096626996

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
End of the world? Well that escalated rather quickly! Yeeesh

For those that have no issue with closing the frunk, that's awesome! Thanks for reporting in and letting us know, that does help... in fact it has made me want to look into this more now as of late. Variation between our builds can be expected. Till you've walked a mile in our shoes, don't knock on us. I am glad you're not having this experience. Let the rest of us figure out a solution and post any tips that may help others. That's why this place can be great.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
End of the world? Well that escalated rather quickly! Yeeesh

For those that have no issue with closing the frunk, that's awesome! Thanks for reporting in and letting us know, that does help... in fact it has made me want to look into this more now as of late. Variation between our builds can be expected. Till you've walked a mile in our shoes, don't knock on us. I am glad you're not having this experience. Let the rest of us figure out a solution and post any tips that may help others. That's why this place can be great.
There are absolutely warranted grievances expressed on the forum, and I fully sympathize with those who are experiencing serious issues. I sure as hell would be sad and pissed if my car was in the shop for weeks with no end in sight.

By the same token, there is a lot of self-indulgent drama as well. I'm not referring to you, but there are some threads that make me think some people have never been told "no" or "you have to wait your turn".

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I also do the lower slowly and then push down

I agree. Not sure slamming is the way to go. Bringing hood down slowly and then pushing down firmly seems to be working better for me and it definitely sounds better for the car. In any case manual says if you using the gravity method, drop should only be 10-14 inches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution 1630096626996
That advice has been updated to reflect the approach that I've been using (and preferring). :)

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...rket=USA&div=f&vCode=&vFilteringEnabled=False

Closing the Front Luggage Compartment

Lower the front luggage compartment hood and apply closing force as it drops.

Note: Make sure that the front luggage compartment hood is fully closed.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
By the same token, there is a lot of self-indulgent drama as well. I'm not referring to you, but there are some threads that make me think some people have never been told "no" or "you have to wait your turn".
Agreed! I've stopped following a couple threads like that. Not much can be done for those issues, so I just click "unwatch" and let the rest have at it to their hearts content.
That's what I'm starting to get back to with this whole frunk thing. I've read through, tried a few things out, doesn't work for me, oh well I can still slam it shut. I'll put those rubber bumpers back on that you replied to me about. Here I was thinking I stumbled on a breakthrough!

I will say, there will be a couple boxes of donuts in it for the service dept when I'm able to go, if one of them can easily close my frunk and show me what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'll keep the donuts in the frunk...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mine closes just fine with the same sort of force I'm used to from other vehicles. Why is every minor issue THE END OF THE WORLD on this forum?
Actually, this thread has been quite measured. It even starts with a very appropriate, solution-oriented title. Had it been like many other small issues around here we would have seen:

Thread title: "Had to push twice to close frunk -- Frunk is Useless"
"Frunk doesn't shut with one hand. I'm going to the dealer to demand they give me another hand at no cost -- do you hear that Ford!"
"There's no button to close the frunk on the dash, FordPass or fob. Where's my OTA?"
"Frunk hasn't closed right for the last 30 days. I'm imposing our state's Lemon Law"

The Ignore button is a good friend of mine!

Agreed! I've stopped following a couple threads like that. Not much can be done for those issues, so I just click "unwatch" and let the rest have at it to their hearts content.
Yep. Or ignore. It's right here:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 8.50.46 AM

Of course, as I said, this has been calm and solution-focused. I'll keep watching. :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Use some discretion though... One may only ignore up to 1,000 others on the forum. ?
I mostly ignore threads although there are some people ...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Use some discretion though... One may only ignore up to 1,000 others on the forum. ?
Maybe I’m wrong but I thought ignored posts was a separate array from ignoring members.
Sponsored