RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
Actually, this thread has been quite measured. It even starts with a very appropriate, solution-oriented title. Had it been like many other small issues around here we would have seen:

Thread title: "Had to push twice to close frunk -- Frunk is Useless"
"Frunk doesn't shut with one hand. I'm going to the dealer to demand they give me another hand at no cost -- do you hear that Ford!"
"There's no button to close the frunk on the dash, FordPass or fob. Where's my OTA?"
"Frunk hasn't closed right for the last 30 days. I'm imposing our state's Lemon Law"

The Ignore button is a good friend of mine!

Yep. Or ignore. It's right here:

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 8.50.46 AM.png

Of course, as I said, this has been calm and solution-focused. I'll keep watching. :)
Thank you for your statements to the comments. I was trying to compose a message that got across this same sentiment, but you did it far better than I could have. Your examples of title threads are hilarious and on-point. This thread is a great example of solution-oriented owners helping owners with an issue some share. I'm reading intently to see if someone uncovers anything I haven't tried!

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/very-serious-issue.3928/

Back on topic, I have real trouble closing the frunk, dealer too and can't help me...so now that's where my charging cables are and the First Aid kit. I hope i don't need anything from there:)
In the event you do have to open it, when I took my MME by the dealership to see if they could show me how to close the frunk they thoroughly lubricated it and then said to close it using pressure all the way down to close, like @macchiaz-o was saying. So it is not a slam, which is good. However, I refrain from using the frunk because it still doesn't make you feel comfortable using that amount of force. But it works every time.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Apparently, fords reasoning is air pressure in the frunk. Has anyone tried removing the frunk and seeing if it closes like a regular hood.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Apparently, fords reasoning is air pressure in the frunk. Has anyone tried removing the frunk and seeing if it closes like a regular hood.
Ask Sandy Munro. I think they’ve pretty much removed … everything. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nav

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The air pressure problem was the reason the frunk got a drain in the first place. They needed to vent air pressure to get it to close.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes I have (for other reasons) and as Mark said above, the air pressure problem was eliminated by adding a drain in the frunk. Removing everything under the hood did not change anything. The hood latch is NOT adjustable which is odd as I've never seen this in a vehicle before. Per the repair manual, the rubber bump stops on either side are the up/down adjustment and only there to align the hood with the front fenders. I lowered them completely then started raising them up until the hood was perfectly aligned in height with the front fender.

I did the same mod that Rob did in his post ( #12 ) a few months ago when I had the frunk torn apart. I used two metal spacers which were 3/16" thick. I never let my hood drop down from from high or slam it. I gently lower it down until it catches the first latch then apply pressure in the front middle where the latch is until it closes. The only drawback to this is I get handprints on the hood unless I use a towel. Doing the same mod above that Rob did and adjusting the bumpers did make it close easier but I do wish it had a self closing mechanism like the rear liftgate.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Closing Solution IMG_427619001900

Last edited:

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I don't have a MME yet so I can't check but has anyone that's having problems removed the struts to see if they are possibly bottoming out, make sure the hood will pop up without the struts so that you can open the hood again (really be careful here, I don't want some ones hood permanently closed). Also I would look at the bottom of the hood for wear marks where the hood may be hitting something before it should (like those bumpers). I would even silicone the gasket that is just before the windshield wipers. In MarkBoris's picture there is either dirt or wear showing on that gasket (or just something in the picture). Lastly I would activate the latch manually (you can use a screwdriver) and make sure that it is latching smoothly (make sure it is unlatched before trying to close the hood again).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't have a MME yet so I can't check but has anyone that's having problems removed the struts to see if they are possibly bottoming out, make sure the hood will pop up without the struts so that you can open the hood again (really be careful here, I don't want some ones hood permanently closed). Also I would look at the bottom of the hood for wear marks where the hood may be hitting something before it should (like those bumpers). I would even silicone the gasket that is just before the windshield wipers. In MarkBoris's picture there is either dirt or wear showing on that gasket (or just something in the picture). Lastly I would activate the latch manually (you can use a screwdriver) and make sure that it is latching smoothly (make sure it is unlatched before trying to close the hood again).
It is highly unlinkely to be necessary. After having my car a couple of months and a dozen or so actuations it either softened up or I learned the technique. I have no trouble now; the technique I use is to lower it to 10 inches or so and then flick my wrist down like taking a basketball shot. works every time now

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I recognize this is the a resurfaced thread from August, but as someone that just got the MME in October, thank you for the great info. I've avoided the frunk but will be lowering the two stoppers and practing my jump shots ??

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
I recognize this is the a resurfaced thread from August, but as someone that just got the MME in October, thank you for the great info. I've avoided the frunk but will be lowering the two stoppers and practing my jump shots ??
Or have a male friend whose gay close it for ya

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
will be lowering the two stoppers and practing my jump shots
Practice without lowering the stoppers. It's probably a bad idea in the long run