Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So, we need another one of those steel cables with a loop, in the cabin, to pull a wayward frunk closed (with a tie off post once closed, maybe a second loop for the closed postion).

Or, a frunk lid eject button that severs the frunk (explosive bolts?) and launches it safely to side of the road, where it decends safely by its own parachute :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So, we need another one of those steel cables with a loop, in the cabin, to pull a wayward frunk closed (with a tie off post once closed, maybe a second loop for the closed postion).

Or, a frunk lid eject button that severs the frunk (explosive bolts?) and launches it safely to side of the road, where it decends safely by its own parachute :)
"Bluey... Loui Bluey" ?da da, da daaaaaa?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So today I was driving home and between my "fun" of trying to find a charger that worked, I was on the highway when the "frunk" popped open about an inch, got a warning telling me to pull over and close it.

Now, it could be that I didn't close it tightly the last time I used it (yesterday) but I did have about 200 miles driving at 70mph before this happened.

Hoping this was a "frunk" fluke, but it was rather unnerving.

yikes!
...good thing the secondary latch caught it.

I have noticed it is fairly difficult to shut the Frunk... you can't just drop it from a few inches up and expect it to engage all the way. It takes a firm push to catch the second latch, so firm in fact I am a little concerned with denting the hood.

Has anyone found a way to adjust so that it is easier to fully engage?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
yikes!
...good thing the secondary latch caught it.

I have noticed it is fairly difficult to shut the Frunk... you can't just drop it from a few inches up and expect it to engage all the way. It takes a firm push to catch the second latch, so firm in fact I am a little concerned with denting the hood.

Has anyone found a way to adjust so that it is easier to fully engage?
I was able to get the frunk shut fully when dropping it from height by asserting additional downward force as I drop it (like how you slam shut a door). I'm not successful every times though.

I'm concerned about denting the hood as well.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Check your Fridge light! That little gnome that turns the light on and off may have wanted a Pony ride and jumped in the Frunk!

*serious note, myself, wife and kids had Frunk closing training and practice. All four fingers on the leading edge of Frunk, drop/push and follow through all the way down. Don't change your pressure and frunk closes securely. The Gasket creates a pressure once the hood engages it fully and the little one way drain valve, actually releases a little whoosh of air.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So the dealer looked at it and had to body shop adjust the stops so they weren't pushing up so hard. Seems to close easier now, we'll see if it ever happens again.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So the dealer looked at it and had to body shop adjust the stops so they weren't pushing up so hard. Seems to close easier now, we'll see if it ever happens again.
do you happen to know WHICH stops?
There are two fat round ones on the sides, and two rectangular hard ones in the front...

I can't see any way to adjust the front ones, or the latch itself, without removing the whole Frunk to get to the mechanism

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
There are two fat round ones on the sides, and two rectangular hard ones in the front...

I can't see any way to adjust the front ones, or the latch itself, without removing the whole Frunk to get to the mechanism
I've tried adjusting the round ones. They just turn to go up or down. All the way down it made little difference. It did seem like once it was half latches, I could push it down and make it fully latch easier. But the actual closing still only catches the first latch unless you slam it.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

Round ones. Still you need to push down after closing, just not quite as hard. I guess these stops push back up on the hood, keep it all nice and tight so don't over adjust (in my opinion)

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I’ve now had my Mach E for about 500 miles and honestly the only irk I’ve found is the difficulty to close the trunk makes it where I don’t even want to use it. I just opened it and it took me five tries and about ten minutes to close it properly

I doubt anything can be done now about it, without changing out the latching mechanism. Alas, I’m just going to leave the frunk alone except for if absolutely necessary to open.

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.

S4. Requirements.

S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.

S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.
Ah! So I don’t have to call it a frunk!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I’ve now had my Mach E for about 500 miles and honestly the only irk I’ve found is the difficulty to close the trunk makes it where I don’t even want to use it. I just opened it and it took me five tries and about ten minutes to close it properly

I doubt anything can be done now about it, without changing out the latching mechanism. Alas, I’m just going to leave the frunk alone except for if absolutely necessary to open.
I agree the frunk latch is a bit stiff, and no good way to adjust as far as I can tell. I have found that with a little practice there is a 'sweet-spot', not quite a slam, that seems to work pretty well.....

gentle drop to first click, and then 'CPR' push for second doesn't work very well with this latch.
Sponsored