Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Hillman. I'm betting this cap can be found at Lowes.
They sell electrical box knockout plugs, but they're typically metal discs. And it's not a good idea to have a large conductor potentially falling onto the positive terminal.
It's hard to beat the Amazon part given.
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hillman products are sold at Lowes.
Yeah, they're just plugs for desks that have the holes in them for cables to route up from under the desk. I'm sure that a lot of office furniture or office supply superstores have the plugs on hand as well. ?‍♂?

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Yeah, they're just plugs for desks that have the holes in them for cables to route up from under the desk. I'm sure that a lot of office furniture or office supply superstores have the plugs on hand as well. ?‍♂?
I wish FORD would put an access in there. Wonder why they Didnt? Another oversight I guess.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Yeah, they're just plugs for desks that have the holes in them for cables...
That could be a feature not a bug if you want to bring a 4 to 12 gauge wire out of there (with a safe connector of course) for regular use. I wouldn't consider it safe to have a 2" hole over an unfused 12V exposed terminal. But get the opening down to 1/4" or so, and I'd consider it safe.

UL publishes a spec for what's considered "finger safe" at high voltage and a couple vendors make an articulated finger that conforms to it. (Think the diameter or a child's finger but the length of a man's.) But they're expensive so the working rule of thumb in the electrical safety world is to ensure chassis ventilation etc does not have an opening you could put a #2 wooden pencil through. I'd consider that appropriate here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-in-Plastic-Desk-Grommet/3127763

If your ONLY consideration is a very occasional (if ever) jump there, then they're considerably uglier than the clean (true plug) Hillman configuration avail via Amazon but not at Lowes, Office Depot, etc.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I was doing a little planning for my addition of battery jump points in the frunk so I had to remove my frunk tub today. Necked Mach-E! ??
900E6307-18BE-478F-A3CD-FE9569502DFE.jpeg

Oh noticed that there was this odd flag of masking tape on one of the hoses too. ?‍♂?
4F719D5F-599B-4CB3-95D9-CF904B5DECA3.jpeg
Oof.

I would hate to change the spark plugs on that thing!

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wiring rough-ins done. ??
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 175E40D9-6E48-4CAC-947F-908BB07132CC

Used heat shrink tubing at intervals to keep the red and black wires together. ??
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 6CA7D79C-4C0D-4F57-A336-0392B2DF099E

Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 925C2CF8-011D-44BC-9840-81359AA0A4C8

Quick disconnect roughed-in under the mounting hole for the access point so that the access point can be removed or the beauty panel can be removed with the access point still screwed into the beauty panel. ??
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] C17AC8AA-A6C4-4C5C-9231-6BFB177AC553

And a quick mock-up of the access point with wiring installed. Access point is not fastened to car yet. Have to wait on the ABS reinforcements to dry on the threaded inserts (and dumb-dumb doggie here forgot what he did with the mounting screws). ??
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 560B9C05-DE31-41AC-81BF-215EE3432787

Last edited:

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
The white masking tape is to hold the harnesses together during assembly, that can be removed if you see leftovers that were missed.

FYI Ford recommends using a ring terminal on the + post and using an unused ground hole on the side of the strut tower if you are adding 12V accessories.

Breeves002 and me know what everything under the hood is and does so if you have questions about what you see feel free.
yeah, ring terminal and an inline fuse.

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Got the finish work done. Access point is held to the beauty panel with four 304 Stainless #8-32 machine screws. These are screwed onto threaded inserts. The inserts are made it be cast into a thicker boss, so I built up the ABS plastic under the screw locations after pressing the inserts into place. After waiting on my ABS to cure a little, I installed the beauty panel without the access point installed. I let that cure overnight and installed the access.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 9DB793F4-B12D-4FEB-B45A-3991F1BE9448

In addition the the hinged door, the access point includes a red vinyl cap for the + terminal. The slot for the door’s catch makes a convenient storage spot for it while the access point is in use.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] EE76BAB9-2218-4461-8497-F38EBF386D93

And this is what it looks like when not in use.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Frunk Tub Removed [Pics] 6C8D4D48-27AC-4C81-93CC-4921AE6816CA

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I wish Ford did something that smart, neat and clean. Job well done. Kudos to you. ?

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If I were to change anything, it's the position of the mounted access point. I was trying to maximize the amount of space that I had underneath, so it's positioned where it is because I can't fully open the lid for the access point (it swings 180° so that it can sit flat against the mounting surface if unobstructed - The boss for the hydraulic lift assist gets in the way and you can't close the frunk lid without damaging the access point lid). I might buy another beauty panel and move the position of the holes. Then again, it works and you pretty much can't close the frunk lid with a charging cable or jumper cable set attached, so I might not move it. I'm a cheapskate, so it depends on how much a new beauty panel is gonna cost me. LOL. ??‍♂?

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What if you don’t have a 12V jump box and just have a battery tender that helps recharge the battery. And even if I find one, I then have to take the cover off . Nuts.
if the cover coves off easily I suppose that’s ok but from what I read it’s a bit of an effort. Maybe I am wrong but the mods shown by people are well done and should have been done by Ford.

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
What if you don’t have a 12V jump box and just have a battery tender that helps recharge the battery. And even if I find one, I then have to take the cover off . Nuts.
if the cover coves off easily I suppose that’s ok but from what I read it’s a bit of an effort. Maybe I am wrong but the mods shown by people are well done and should have been done by Ford.
Yeah, I am just using it to charge the 12V battery. The only problem with having it under the frunk lid is that if the 12V is dead you still need to jump the leads in the front bumper with a 12V source in order to open the frunk. I couldn’t think of a safe place to put this jump box that was externally accessible unless it was under the car and I did not like that. ?‍♂?
Sponsored