Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Came across this today, does anyone have any idea what kind of work would be involved to get this motor in a P4X?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9000-MACHE

Ford Performance Parts is proud to offer the Eluminator!!! This electric motor is from the 2021 Mustang Mach E GT.
  • Peak power: 210kW (281hp)
  • Peak torque: 430Nm (317 lb.-ft.)
  • Max speed: 13,800rpm
  • Gear ratio: 9.05:1
  • Weight: 93kg / 205 lbs
Includes:
  • HV motor to traction inverter harness
  • LV harness/connector
  • Vent tube assembly.
Does NOT include:
  • Traction inverter
  • Control system
  • Battery
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
IF, and I’m shouting IF here, any compatibility at all, probably a mile high labor charge. Not to mention a few of those “not included parts” sound expensive as well; AND don’t forget trying to find a Ford dealership to do the install will also be difficult for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
tannerk89

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
IF, and I’m shouting IF here, any compatibility at all, probably a mile high labor charge. Not to mention a few of those “not included parts” sound expensive as well; AND don’t forget trying to find a Ford dealership to do the install will also be difficult for the foreseeable future.
I sure hope there would be compatability considering they already put it on one variant of the MME… it’s the GT/GTPE front motor which is the only real difference between P4X and GT drive train. Not sure if traction inverter would be the same but control system should be aside from a software flash potentially, and I know battery is already on there lol. I wouldn’t be having a Ford dealer do this type of work just like I wouldn’t have them install a supercharger on an ICE car… but I guess they could do it. Also modifying vehicles has never been cheap but electric motor swap may be significantly less than the ICE equivalent. I’ll dig a little deeper.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I sure hope there would be compatability considering they already put it on one variant of the MME… it’s the GT/GTPE front motor which is the only real difference between P4X and GT drive train. Not sure if traction inverter would be the same but control system should be aside from a software flash potentially, and I know battery is already on there lol. I wouldn’t be having a Ford dealer do this type of work just like I wouldn’t have them install a supercharger on an ICE car… but I guess they could do it. Also modifying vehicles has never been cheap but electric motor swap may be significantly less than the ICE equivalent. I’ll dig a little deeper.
Obviously we are aware it goes into the GT/PE. The compatibility I’m referring to is: bracketry compatibility, traction inverter, signal and battery connections and cooling connections.

For this type of work, I wouldn’t have anyone other than the dealer perform the work because I’m sure upon completion, your warranty on EV drivetrain would be history, if performed by a third party.

OP
OP
tannerk89

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Obviously we are aware it goes into the GT/PE. The compatibility I’m referring to is: bracketry compatibility, traction inverter, signal and battery connections and cooling connections.

For this type of work, I wouldn’t have anyone other than the dealer perform the work because I’m sure upon completion, your warranty on EV drivetrain would be history, if performed by a third party.
I’m not sure if Ford dealership would do a motor/engine swap on any vehicle let alone retain the original warranty. At best they would offer a workmanship warranty for the work itself up to about a year, same as any other 3rd party. Personally I would feel better having a shop that specializes in electric vehicles doing the work, if I didn’t do it myself, unless that specific dealer was particularly good at EV’s. Which in my experience so far hasn’t been the case. People generally don’t do motor swaps for manufacturer warranty though.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
You'd need a whole lot of stuff. Motor, inverter, maybe even a new AC charger...hoses, wiring, etc... Then you'd need to flash a bunch of modules to GT software.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I’m not sure if Ford dealership would do a motor/engine swap on any vehicle let alone retain the original warranty. At best they would offer a workmanship warranty for the work itself up to about a year, same as any other 3rd party. Personally I would feel better having a shop that specializes in electric vehicles doing the work, if I didn’t do it myself, unless that specific dealer was particularly good at EV’s. Which in my experience so far hasn’t been the case. People generally don’t do motor swaps for manufacturer warranty though.
The point I was trying to make is that the warranty of existing components is more likely to be honored if an EV-certified Ford dealership performs the upgrade. Should a non-Ford dealership or DIYer perform the upgrade, and other componentry would fail, Ford may deny any warranty replacement claims and force the owner to pay out of pocket.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You could always trade your car in for a GT or GTPE. It would be a lot easier, and probably cheaper.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
You could always trade your car in for a GT or GTPE. It would be a lot easier, and probably cheaper.
Yes, it was easy to trade in my FE for a GT. My tax rebate next year will pay most of that cost.

OP
OP
tannerk89

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Questionable with ADMU and lead times, but you’re right.

I’m more interested in the possibility of a performance modification culture similar to the ICE counterpart. Right now it seems that most people here or any EV owner forum are only looking into paint protection films and the like, my hope is that EV’s aren’t limited to software updates and people or companies begin to create higher performance components/upgrade kits/etc. I personally love working on vehicles, both in my personal life and as the career I’ve worked my way into.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

I’m more interested in the possibility of a performance modification culture similar to the ICE counterpart. Right now it seems that most people here or any EV owner forum are only looking into paint protection films and the like, my hope is that EV’s aren’t limited to software updates and people or companies begin to create higher performance components/upgrade kits/etc. I personally love working on vehicles, both in my personal life and as the career I’ve worked my way into.
Maybe software updates will be what most people do to change driving characteristics in a EV. There are quite a few things people would like to change besides motors: like getting rid of the 5 second full power limit. If that could be changed to 10 or 15 seconds, so many people would be very, very happy.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

I suspect it's going to be a long time before that happens. Folks that are developing components for ICE vehicles are going to have to take on a whole new skillset to tackle EV upgrades (non-mechanical) and that would require a lead time after they abandon their ICE markets...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

I have a feeling the power train hardware upgrades will come (but may be more costly than ICE upgrades).

Weight reduction is always a good thing though and pretty much all EVs are fat pigs that could stand to lose a few.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
You'd need a whole lot of stuff. Motor, inverter, maybe even a new AC charger...hoses, wiring, etc... Then you'd need to flash a bunch of modules to GT software.
Ok but besides that... ??
Sponsored