Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thanks, I was looking at exactly those on tire rack. And good to know they’ll perform well enough in the snow, in case the need arises!

Are you running them on the stock GTPE wheels?
I have a GT so I got 20x9 wheels so the tires are a bit plus sized at 255/45R20.
Sponsored

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks, I was looking at exactly those on tire rack. And good to know they’ll perform well enough in the snow, in case the need arises!

Are you running them on the stock GTPE wheels?
Glad to see you are going with a proper winter tire on your PE. I wouldn't even let mine leave the dealer with the OEM tires on. I've found driving in the cold on summer performance tires feels like you are driving on tires made of polished marble.

Our roads have been packed snow and ice since December. The worst I've ever seen here. I've been driving on my Continental DWS06+ tires for several months now and couldn't be happier with the grip and quietness.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Glad to see you are going with a proper winter tire on your PE. I wouldn't even let mine leave the dealer with the OEM tires on. I've found driving in the cold on summer performance tires feels like you are driving on tires made of polished marble.

Our roads have been packed snow and ice since December. The worst I've ever seen here. I've been driving on my Continental DWS06+ tires for several months now and couldn't be happier with the grip and quietness.
Thanks, and did you swap out the tires on the stock wheels or buy new wheels?

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks, and did you swap out the tires on the stock wheels or buy new wheels?
I did a swap out with the stock wheels. For now, I plan on keeping the Conti tires on year round. That is what I did with the Conti TS 860 S 19" I put on the FE. Sure, you take a small performance hit, but the feel of the road is so great with the winter Continental's.
Not sure if I'll ever put on the never-used summer performance tires sitting in the garage. I have a summer only "real" Mustang parked next to the PE for those sunny day crazy times.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry another question…how detrimental is it to the tire to swap them out for the winter months onto the stock wheel? Does it stretch the tire too much doing it once in the late fall and once in early spring?
It's no problem at all if you wanted to swap out your summer tires for winter tires then go back to the summer tires. People do it all the time with no issues however, I would recommend a good all season tire like Greg and John just talked about. Unless you are going to be driving in severe snow territory, you most likely don't need winter tires.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I did a swap out with the stock wheels. For now, I plan on keeping the Conti tires on year round. That is what I did with the Conti TS 860 S 19" I put on the FE. Sure, you take a small performance hit, but the feel of the road is so great with the winter Continental's.
Not sure if I'll ever put on the never-used summer performance tires sitting in the garage. I have a summer only "real" Mustang parked next to the PE for those sunny day crazy times.
That’s not a bad idea either. Just getting the Contis and leaving them on for now. I’d rather just put them on now for the remaining winter months than rush out and try and find a set of wheels that I like.

It's no problem at all if you wanted to swap out your summer tires for winter tires then go back to the summer tires. People do it all the time with no issues however, I would recommend a good all season tire like Greg and John just talked about. Unless you are going to be driving in severe snow territory, you most likely don't need winter tires.
Thanks. I think I’ll be doing that!

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag
I purchased new wheels (20x8.5 Gloss Gunmetal Silver Painted ASA GT14) and the Conti DWS06+ from tire rack and haven't looked back. Look Great - Drives Great. I store the Stock Wheels/Tires in my basement and will put them back on in May.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires Screenshot_20211113-151402_Gallery

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I really liked the Pirelli Scorpion Winter on my Mercedes AMG. So I will probably give them a shot since they make it in an “Elect” version now. Also, I thought about the wheel/winter tire setup, but decided against it because I plan to move to a wider 275/40R20 summer tire and the factory 8” wheel will not accommodate another 1.20” wider tire. Since my GTPE will probably arrive in NY winter, I plan to have the dealer install winter only tires on the factory rims and then decide (6 months later, ha ha) in the summer if the Pirelli’s will see a season or not. If Ford had used a 9” rim, it would have fit both tire sizes.
I did exactly the same thing...245/45R20 Michelin Crossclimate2 tires on my original GTPE rims for the winter, 275/40R20 General Gmax RS's on 20x9 +35ET rims for the summer.

chrysler200

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Here in the drought-ridden Bay Area, I don’t think that I will need winter or even all-season tires. The summer tires will probably be fine as long as I drive smart. No snow, almost no rain here.
What happens if you go to Tahoe in winter? I agree mostly with this statement, only question for me at least, was visits to Tahoe, but not a major deal fin any case really.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
What happens if you go to Tahoe in winter? I agree mostly with this statement, only question for me at least, was visits to Tahoe, but not a major deal fin any case really.
Well that would be a bad decision to drive in temps below 45° on summer tires for your and others safety...and in freezing temps, you will likely destroy the tires in addition to be being very hazardous to you, your car and everyone around you.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not going there in that time of year myself. YMMV. Too many things to kill and put into the freezer. 😎🐩

I did have to drive through a snow storm on the way back from Washington, but tire pressures indicated they I had heat in the tires. No adverse effects yet. 😊🐩

chrysler200

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Well that would be a bad decision to drive in temps below 45° on summer tires for your and others safety...and in freezing temps, you will likely destroy the tires in addition to be being very hazardous to you, your car and everyone around you.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Good thing is SF metro rarely gets colder than 45 F in winter and even if it does it is not sustained for any significant amount of time, mostly overnight temps but in day time 50 to 60.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Has anyone swapped out their summer tires for year round all season performance tires? Notice a big drop in traction?

As an alternative to putting winter tires on and off 2x/year.

Also, have we confirmed a 19" wheel from a Premium will fit? (Apologies if it was answered earlier, I didn't see it)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Has anyone swapped out their summer tires for year round all season performance tires? Notice a big drop in traction?

Also, have we confirmed a 19" wheel from a Premium will fit? (Apologies if it was answered earlier, I didn't see it)
@scoopman put All-Season tires on his GT-PE. No clue on 19” wheels but I suspect that some may fit and some may not depending on wheel design. 🤔🐩

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I’ve ran several sets of all seasons on my GTPE. Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 and Pirelli Zero All Season Plus. All were very good in the traction department but then they were all larger sizes than OEM. I know a lot of members here run the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus and really like them also.

About the 19” premium wheel fitting on the GTPE, yes it does. I posted that here last year when I tried it out for one of the members. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...mance-edition-wheel-question.9451/post-276561
Sponsored

Last edited: