[Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access)

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
3 in. hole for the positive and 2.5 in. for the negative (smaller to avoid being on top of the crossbar).
I used this cover for the 3 in. I cut its bottom to make it a little shorter.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 20220221_122751_compress21_compress60

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Is the need of a jump
That often to do this ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
3 in. hole for the positive and 2.5 in. for the negative (smaller to avoid being on top of the crossbar).
I used this cover for the 3 in. I cut its bottom to make it a little shorter.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 20220221_122751_compress21_compress60
ok, but the little + and - are right there for crissake.... and underneath is a big red plastic + on the + ?!

what is really missing is the THIRD hole required for Emergency access to cut HV.

which is why I am probably going to change from holes to a whole section on a hinge so you can get to all three, and maybe even the fuse box at the same time.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is the need of a jump
That often to do this ?

hopefully not...
but a simple mod that opens a world of possabilities to giving, or getting, a jump.... or extracting power for camping, power tools, coffee pots, or running your house a la F-150 with an inverter.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I would. Any update on this?
I have designed and printed them, the problem is that the finish product doesn't look as good as the ones you can get on amazon. The render looks amazing but the fact that you can't really sand it makes it look not so good in practice. You could go the primer or epoxy route but then the color will be off.

I think a better option would be to just print the + and - sign with a circle and glue it to the amazon caps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 1646539616177

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 1646539641681

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have designed and printed them, the problem is that the finish product doesn't look as good as the ones you can get on amazon. The render looks amazing but the fact that you can't really sand it makes it look not so good in practice. You could got the primer or epoxy route but then the color will be off.

I think a better option would be to just print the + and - sign with a circle and glue it to the amazon caps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 1646539641681

maybe just print some stickers, and use off the shelf 2" plugs ?

I'd suggest RED +, BLACK - , and consider a third ORANGE one with 'disconnect' symbol for access to the HV relay connector. I really think that should be clearly marked for Service, and possible Emergency Response when and if HV disconnect is needed.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
hopefully not...
but a simple mod that opens a world of possabilities to giving, or getting, a jump.... or extracting power for camping, power tools, coffee pots, or running your house a la F-150 with an inverter.
I have used de-sulfating low current battery chargers for years (lately NOCO brand) to maintain/restore old batteries. One day, my MME LVB will be an old battery. I also connect up the battery charger for a day or two once a year or so to extend its life, and I do that on all my cars. Since I started that practice about 5 years ago, I have not had to replace a 12V battery. Also, I note that my MME uses 12V power every time I walk past it with my phone. Lights come on, relays click, etc. Some days I walk by a dozen times without ever opening up the car or starting it. Since the software fix (mine was one of the first in my area - coming up on a year old - and the battery went dead once), I have reasonable confidence that the 12V will be kept charged by the car itself, but that still does not give it the de-sulfate experience. I connected a cord from my battery maintainer to the MME battery, ran the connector up through the windshield washer fluid bottle neck hole. When gone for a long trip (we use our Highlander Hybrid as our vacation car), I leave the charger plugged into the connector under the MME hood. I don't expect to need to "jump start" my MME any longer, but battery maintenance is good for the battery and easy now with the connector accessible. No holes.

20220306_090543[1].jpg

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I have designed and printed them, the problem is that the finish product doesn't look as good as the ones you can get on amazon. The render looks amazing but the fact that you can't really sand it makes it look not so good in practice. You could got the primer or epoxy route but then the color will be off.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 20220306_090543[1]

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 20220306_090543[1]
Did you post the design on Thingiverse? I'd like to try printing them. I've installed purchased ones, but it would be interesting to have something with the logo on top--or even just the +- symbols.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Did you post the design on Thingiverse? I'd like to try printing them. I've installed purchased ones, but it would be interesting to have something with the logo on top--or even just the +- symbols.
No I didn't. I'm still working on refining them and I was going to try to print them with at .1mm in ABS, Nylon and possibly Carbon Fiber to see if I could get better looking results.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Is the need of a jump
That often to do this ?
It's also about doing FDRS updates easily, which recommend the battery be hooked up to an external power supply.

At least, that's why I did it. I don't want to go broke buying those danged clips.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I thought I'd make a template that references the positive and negative indicators on the cover as locators. Standard disclaimer- use it at your own risk.

The PDF template needs to be printed with no margins and 100% scale. Print it and cut the + and - reference points out first. Fit it on your access panel and make sure that the top-line on the template aligns with the top cover and both holes locate correctly. You can then mark your center holes for the cut-outs and use a 2 1/2" hole saw with these covers - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason, the PDF is clipping just a bit of the bottom cut-out circle, but it matches up with my original Word template and the actual cut-out (I can't upload the Word document, or I would).

My advice is that after you've located your access holes, trace the outline with a pencil to make sure it is in a good location for you. I don't recommend that you drill the holes with the panel installed on the car. I bent the retaining tabs on my Hillman covers a bit so they are easier to take out. I also bought an inexpensive deburring tool that cleans the edges up nicely - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGVDRQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the most difficult part is deciding where to place your access holes, so hopefully, this helps someone out.

Edit- Added center point template. Again, use it at your own risk. I turned my hole saw upside down and traced the outline in pencil to find my original positioning. You can also put a pencil down the arbor hole and mark the center too.

Your post was very helpful. I used the template, without removing the panel. It worked reasonably well. However the opening for the positive terminal is off a bit--should be a little lower (toward the front of the vehicle). But it looks like it will still work OK.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
No I didn't. I'm still working on refining them and I was going to try to print them with at .1mm in ABS, Nylon and possibly Carbon Fiber to see if I could get better looking results.
It occurs to me that I would have trouble printing it, because of the raised logo. I just have a Makerbot2+ and it would need to be flat for it to print ideally (without supports, which would mess up the build).

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
It occurs to me that I would have trouble printing it, because of the raised logo. I just have a Makerbot2+ and it would need to be flat for it to print ideally (without supports, which would mess up the build).
It could be printed pony side up but there'd be a lot of supports underneath. It'd waste a lot of plastic.
Sponsored