First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Did you need to set up an account to use the Tesla destination charger? Fee?
TeslaTap works at free, non-networked Tesla destination chargers... Does not work at charge locations that have billing enabled.
Sponsored

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
What do you mean "scheduled to be delivered in April"?
I'm looking at my Mach E order and I don't see any specific month or date on it.
When I ordered, the order page said 28+ weeks to deliver the Premium, so I just counted the weeks. I’ve since switched the order to a California Route 1 AWD, which says 20+ weeks on the order page. That’s late February. I recognize supply chain issues can be a wild card, but hopefully now that Ford is into their second year making these cars, they can come up with a realistic forecast. That said, if March or April comes and the Tesla is here but no Ford, I may wind up with the Tesla.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
What about insurance rates? Who wins there?
I've heard that insurance rates for tesla are ridiculously high
My insurance broker at State Farm quoted $660/6 months for the Tesla, which seems about right for a new $54K car. I can’t recall my exact coverage, but it’s not bare bones. I don’t have a quote yet on the Ford, but I would expect about the same.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
My decision came down to qualitative rather than quantitative. My normal approach would have been a trade study: list pros and cons, ascribe values and weights to each, and come up with a score. Rather than that, I considered what appears on paper (or on the screen) to be a "good" vehicle that might meet my needs, then test drive. Had the test drive not narrowed it to one then perhaps I would have gone back to the trade study.

I actually considered four different vehicles. All are good vehicles, and each would be a good choice for someone. Each would give sufficient range for my needs.

Tesla Model Y: I like everything about it except the placement of the displays for the driver. Cargo space, leg room, range all excellent. Did not actually test drive, because I convinced myself that adjusting to something that I irrationally disliked so much would amount to settling. OTOH, if something happens (e.g. Ford dealer surprising me with ADM) then I might circle back to the Tesla.

VW ID.4: Good vehicle, reasonable cargo space, good price, OK range. On paper, this was the vehicle for me. Then I drove it. I just didn't like it. Someone else might. I didn't.

Hyundai Kona: I liked this one. Best of the group for miles per KWHr. Test drove it, still liked it. Good ergonomics, fun to drive. Looked behind the back seat, though. Didn't like the small amount of cargo space but I could still fit a bicycle with the back seat down. Looked in the back seat. Adults would not be comfortable. I sometimes use this with my two grown daughters in the back seat, and my wife and me in front. Daughters are not tall, so they could fit (uncomfortably) but their 6' older brother would be cramped in the back seat on the occasions that he is with my wife and me. MIght have bought this if it had more leg room.

Mach-E: Checks all of my boxes. Cargo space, ergonomics, range, even has the charging port in a convenient location for where I park my car and have my charger mounted in the garage. Test drove a RWD Cal Rt 1, it got my heart racing. Ordered the premium AWD with extended range, should be even more satisfying. I've been driving my '08 Escape HEV since it was new and have had no problems with it, so I believe Ford knows how to make a reliable product.

Bottom line: Mach-E is right for me, but other vehicles may be right for others.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
VW ID.4: Good vehicle, reasonable cargo space, good price, OK range. On paper, this was the vehicle for me. Then I drove it. I just didn't like it. Someone else might. I didn't.
Same here..... Specs ok, but ergonomics inside is crap.... Even my old leaf was better.....

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but OP, don't forget that charging network differences will soon be moot. Both the supercharger network and CCS charging will soon be available to both cars. (according to Elon).
CCS adaptor is out, but not in the USA yet. It will be interesting when Tesla opens up their supercharging network to other cars.

I have a tesla tap (and yes I know it won't work on the supercharger network) it comes in handy and I have used the Tesla Destination charger a few times

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, rates are the same as any car in the same price range. Same as an SQ5/Q5, IS350, A4, etc

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
So Mach E vs Y insurance is roughly the same?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Travelers insures my wife's RAV4 Hybrid for $1100/year. Adding the Mach-E GT increased the cost by $690. This is in California, where insurance costs are high.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
When I ordered, the order page said 28+ weeks to deliver the Premium, so I just counted the weeks. I’ve since switched the order to a California Route 1 AWD, which says 20+ weeks on the order page. That’s late February. I recognize supply chain issues can be a wild card, but hopefully now that Ford is into their second year making these cars, they can come up with a realistic forecast. That said, if March or April comes and the Tesla is here but no Ford, I may wind up with the Tesla.
I actually don't get this. What's in the Premium, that's not in the AWD RT1, that makes it, theoretically, take two months longer: stereo, liftgate, laminated glass?

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
"where does the extra 1% in favor of the Tesla come from for you?"

Rolling ions favored the Mach-E by 1% over the Tesla.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Full disclosure... I also plan on cross-posting the same lists on a Tesla forum. It will be interesting to see the differences in replies...
WHICH Tesla forum/forums?

Mach 5e

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Self
Country flag
In late September, I placed a deposit on the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue) and the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its s*$@ together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.
My favorite thing about my Mach-e. It is NOT a Tesla!! I live in honolulu and Y& 3’s are every 5th car and all the models look the same from across the street

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
My favorite thing about my Mach-e. It it NOT a Tesla!! I live in honolulu and Y& 3’s are every 5th car and all the models look the same from across the street
Same here. On an average 5 mile drive I see at least 1 or 2 Tesla's, second only to Jeeps.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I actually don't get this. What's in the Premium, that's not in the AWD RT1, that makes it, theoretically, take two months longer: stereo, liftgate, laminated glass?
Might also be related to demand being higher on the Premium. For me, having projector headlights on the Premium outweighed all other Premium features and sold me on the P vs. the cheaper CARt1.
Sponsored