How cold is the frunk?

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
I’m going to be traveling for several hours with some frozen food, with outside temperatures in the 20s F. Will the frunk temperature be the same as the ambient temperature, or does it pick up heat from components under the hood or from the heated cabin?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I don’t know the exact answer, but based on experiences reported here by people icing down their beer in the frunk during the summer, I think you’ll be fine.

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Iconic Silver
Country flag
I hid some Christmas presents in mine when I left a store the other night. It was about 40F out. The back plastic wall of the frunk was warm to the touch.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You should not think it will be 20 degrees, no. Use a cooler.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I’m going to be traveling for several hours with some frozen food, with outside temperatures in the 20s F. Will the frunk temperature be the same as the ambient temperature, or does it pick up heat from components under the hood or from the heated cabin?
Last winter we drove 150 miles with a big snowball in the frunk. It was 15F outside. When we got home, no snowball.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
HEY, THAT'S A PERSONAL

oh the car's frunk

you're good

(also it seems to be vaguely the outside temperature as there's no formal insulation but the metal and plastic do a small bit of insulating and as @MachMachWhoThere suggested there's some heat from the climate control [*] that "leaks through" to the frunk from behind it.)

(*) it occurred to me a few years ago that the very common industry term of "climate control" is kind of dumb. you're not controlling the climate or anything like that. it's not even "weather control". it's "car comfort control" or something. (even that name is stupid.)

OP
OP

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I have a thermometer that normally lives in my home freezer and communicates wirelessly to a base unit. Maybe I’ll put it in the frunk for a while today to get a definitive answer, which I will post here. It would be good to know, both for keeping things frozen and conversely to avoid freezing things that shouldn’t be frozen.

(*) it occurred to me a few years ago that the very common industry term of "climate control" is kind of dumb. you're not controlling the climate or anything like that. it's not even "weather control". it's "car comfort control" or something. (even that name is stupid.)
Merriam-Webster covers this in definition 2b for climate:

“the prevailing set of conditions (as of temperature and humidity) indoors,
e.g. a climate-controlled office”

Other meanings are possible, such as, “If you want to check out the view from the top of a mountain, climate.“

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Merriam-Webster covers this in definition 2b for climate:

“the prevailing set of conditions (as of temperature and humidity) indoors,
e.g. a climate-controlled office”
huh. who am I to argue with the dictionary? ?‍♀
Other meanings are possible, such as, “If you want to check out the view from the top of a mountain, climate.“
??

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
On my car, the temp displayed on the upper right hand corner of the sync screen is the front compartment temp. Probably because the sensor is located in that same general area. I have always assumed the reading was ambient temp but that isn't always the case. Every time I have measured the temp in the front compartment, it has been within a degree or two of the reading on the screen.

Yes, it picks up heat from the under hood components.

OP
OP

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
Experiment concluded.

Conditions:
Outdoor temperature oscillating between 36 and 37
Cabin temperature set to 70
Overcast and raining, so no solar heat gain

Results:
After an hour, the frunk temperature stabilized at 46. This indicates significant heat coming from under-hood components or leaking from the passenger compartment.

Conclusion:
The frunk is a better location for frozen items than the trunk, which is open to the heated passenger compartment, but it would be prudent to use an insulated cooler containing ice unless outdoor temperatures are at least ten degrees below freezing. Conversely, items which should not freeze, such as fresh produce or dairy, can be safely transported in the frunk for some time unless outdoor temperatures are very low.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The frunk gets the heat from the radiator and condenser blown directly onto it. This heat is from 2 sources..AC compressor which may run even at low temps to defrost, and the motors/inverters. So you'll get heat no matter what. The frunk is awesome for putting take out food in in the summer. Keeps it nice and toasty and cabin doesn't smell.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
But those aromas are great foreplay for the meal. It's important to get in the mood.
That is a fair point, but I don't want the car to smell like crap the next time I drive it. It's great on the drive home, not so great the next morning :p

Plus hot food is better than the smell.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Experiment concluded.

Conditions:
Outdoor temperature oscillating between 36 and 37
Cabin temperature set to 70
Overcast and raining, so no solar heat gain

Results:
After an hour, the frunk temperature stabilized at 46. This indicates significant heat coming from under-hood components or leaking from the passenger compartment.

Conclusion:
The frunk is a better location for frozen items than the trunk, which is open to the heated passenger compartment, but it would be prudent to use an insulated cooler containing ice unless outdoor temperatures are at least ten degrees below freezing. Conversely, items which should not freeze, such as fresh produce or dairy, can be safely transported in the frunk for some time unless outdoor temperatures are very low.
I suspect your conclusion about "unless outdoor temperatures are at least ten degrees below freezing" may not be valid.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
It clearly won't be cold enough without ice in there. Otherwise Ford would have just filled it with shrimp for the tailgate party photo.
Sponsored