mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It’s about $25 in Hawaii. It’s strictly a safety inspection. Horn, headlights and high beams, turn signals, wipers, backup lights and for ev’s the low speed noise depending upon year built. It’s all on a checklist. They also record your mileage as we’re in the process of moving to a mileage and weight based registration fee system. That system will result in a fee decrease for most everyone, including EVs. I was involved in testing it for a year or so in my Tacoma.
Interesting. It is surprising they will accept less revenue with the new system. I think it is more likely they will find a way to increase revenue, rather than decrease it. But less fees would certainly be nice, if it works out that way.

Edit: if VA starts testing for the sound, I will just make sure the volume is turned up before dropping the car off. That's the great thing about the volume control. I can easily adjust it as needed depending on the situation.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Interesting. It is surprising they will accept less revenue with the new system. I think it is more likely they will find a way to increase revenue, rather than decrease it. But less fees would certainly be nice, if it works out that way.

Edit: if VA starts testing for the sound, I will just make sure the volume is turned up before dropping the car off. That's the great thing about the volume control. I can easily adjust it as needed depending on the situation.
Going to a weight and mileage base registration system actually raises total revenue under the rules set up. What it does is shift the higher fees to vehicles that are heavy and drive a lot — tractor trailer rigs and heavier trucks/vans. It also entails eliminating the state gas tax. There’s still a ton of work to be done on it before it happens, and nothing changing is the default state here anyway.

Chainspell

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
So, I purchased the standard bypass kit just earlier today. Thinking I may want to cancel.
But I have a lease. Aaaand I'm not so sure if it's ok to do either of these things. But. I drive a lot at night and don't want to bother people when I pick up riders in apartment complexes and such. Or when I come home or need to back up at ungodly hours. It's just SO loud.

Anyways, thanks for the link to the fob dealy. I did not see that one previously.
You don't need to worry about the lease. All you do to install it is unplug the speaker and plug in the bypass. If you want to remove it later, it's just a matter of plugging the speaker back in. It's a simple clip, nothing permanent.

Edit: but if you install the one with remote there's also a power tap you install at the battery. Again, it's all easily removable.

errrik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cyber Orange Mustang Mach-E Premium EAWD 70KWH
Occupation
Uber X
You don't need to worry about the lease. All you do to install it is unplug the speaker and plug in the bypass. If you want to remove it later, it's just a matter of plugging the speaker back in. It's a simple clip, nothing permanent.

Edit: but if you install the one with remote there's also a power tap you install at the battery. Again, it's all easily removable.
My question is more about the legality of it.
Is it OK to modify a lease? And to what extent?
And if I intend to purchase it at the end of the lease; does it matter what I do to it?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Going to a weight and mileage base registration system actually raises total revenue under the rules set up. What it does is shift the higher fees to vehicles that are heavy and drive a lot — tractor trailer rigs and heavier trucks/vans. It also entails eliminating the state gas tax. There’s still a ton of work to be done on it before it happens, and nothing changing is the default state here anyway.
I think it may be more fair than a general fee, but if there are people doing a lot of driving on roads that are not maintained by the government, it would definitely be unfair to them.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
Disabled the pedestrian alert sounds and backup beeping in both my machEs. Never looked back

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was considering disabling these sounds. Also wondered if instead of a volume knob, if I could add a switch to turn it back on when wanted (probably never).

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was considering disabling these sounds. Also wondered if instead of a volume knob, if I could add a switch to turn it back on when wanted (probably never).
Yep. Instead of a pot, put a switch in the circuit. Easy. I thought about doing that, but he level of effort to add a volume control is probably less (at least the way I would do it) than adding a switch. And the volume control is more flexible.

But you can definitely do a switch instead. The switch needs to substitute a resistor for the speaker, so the car doesn't think there is a problem. So, switch + resistor = coolness. If you want help figuring out how to do it, DM me. (The pot is the resistor, so that is why I thought it was easier.)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I think it may be more fair than a general fee, but if there are people doing a lot of driving on roads that are not maintained by the government, it would definitely be unfair to them.
Yeah to a degree at least anyway. We live in an HOA with 13 miles of private roads. I still drive on the state and county roads (There are no city level governments in Hawaii). I should pay for those since I use them. The pilot project I was in had me using a gps tracker and it knew when i was on private roads, I can’t see that being done for a live program though.
Sponsored