awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Tesla did the same thing a while back to save costs. I've used it a few times mostly when traveling to someone's home or camping.
I’ve read several times about using the charger when traveling to someone’s home. Typically people don’t have the right 220 plugs available. Are you talking about using the 120v?
Sponsored

Jacques

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium, AWD and extended range battery.
Country flag
Charging stations in Paris. They don’t have cords, you have to use your own. Also Europe and many other countries are on 220 volts. No such thing as 120 volts.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ICYMI: Mach-E Mobile Power Cord No Longer Included (Now $500 Option) IMG_4875

Last edited:

Lathrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
same for us.
I did the same thing and the unit has worked wonderfully. If it came with the car why waste extra $s to buy an overpriced aftermarket system.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Tested mine to ensure it worked. Now sits in trunk as back-up.
I did the same w/ mine. It didn't. Tried it at L1, tripped the breaker almost immediately (same plug I have used for six years [w/ GM provided L1 cord] and still use daily, exclusively).
It's (Ford cord) in the trunk.
I do not believe Ford cord is capable of regular use, while most others are and hold up.

However, I think most folks expect, rightfully so, a cord, and it to be reliable.

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I’ve read several times about using the charger when traveling to someone’s home. Typically people don’t have the right 220 plugs available. Are you talking about using the 120v?
Yes while 240v would be nice, but 120v is ok if you can charge for 24-48hrs over a weekend especially at night or when the car is just sitting there. You will get 1kw/hr so you might get 25-50% charge which may need enough to get back to go around locally. It is also cheaper and/or may some save time at a DC fast charger.

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Charging stations in Paris. They don’t have cords, you have to use your own. Also Europe and many other countries are on 220 volts. No such thing as 120 volts.

IMG_4875.jpeg
That’s a European thing where level 2 chargers don’t have cables. People carry their own cables. It’s just a convention they adapted but it prevents issues charging with damaged cables or plugs.

The 220v outlets people have at home in Europe though prob can’t handle the amp needed to charge.

Last edited:

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Did you add "Now a $230 option" to the thread title or was that @Administrator ? The option is $500, not $230.
Wow 500?! Weren't there Ford engineers or techs telling people here to go buy something else because these weren't reliable in the long term and they want $500 for it D:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Getting an EV without a way to charge it seems like getting an ICE without gas to me. They always give you a full tank when you buy an ICE.
Gas stations are in the public. DCFC stations are in the public. You have ways to fill up with electrons without a "mobile charger". Unless your last ICE car came with a home gas station I don't follow your logic and actually feel the counter argument is more valid.

I would be willing to bet that only 0.5% or less of homes have a NEMA 14-50 installed. So if you want to charge at home you have to get an electrician at the very least (or only drive the car every 4 days while charging on 15A like you do). Buying an EV comes with differences for "refueling" and purchasing a "home charger" is just one of those options. Many utility companies will actually reimburse almost all, if not all, of the cost to install a home charger (even Ford will pay you).

The previously included charger is a "mobile charger", it's in the name. They didn't include a "home charger".

Way too many, "I purchased an EV, so I should get something for free" entitlement comments in this thread.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Those that want it "for free" apparently haven't ever purchased an automobile before, where EVERYTHING that is INCLUDED FOR FREE isn't free, because it's backed into the price.

Ford offers to let people remove it, and reduce their price $500, and there is an outcry. Too funny.

jdhzzz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e AWD ER premium job 1
Occupation
Systems engineer (retired)
Country flag
I did the same thing and the unit has worked wonderfully. If it came with the car why waste extra $s to buy an overpriced aftermarket system.
Had to install a "utility approved" charger to get the local utility to pay for it. I had to put in a circuit anyway, so may as well put in the charger on their dime. Now the "comes with" charger rides in the car for the unlikely event when we can use it while visiting someone. The 3rd party charger is nicer and will improve marketability of the house when we sell it, so there's that.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Saw this today .
Ford's electric Mustang Mach-E no longer comes with a power cord

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/fords-electric-mustang-mach-e-124900251.html
Based on the percentage of posters here whose chargers are still in the wrapper in the trunk, this appears to be a reasonable move, so long as the cars price was dropped at least the $200+ that it will cost as an option. In this way those who don’t want itdont have to pay for it.

I have used mine in a 220v outlet since new and dont find value in the small speed increase the expensive aftermarket chargers provide.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
I'd be curious to know how one knows if one has received a 2023 or a "2023.5" Mach-E. I ordered mine in October and took delivery on 11 June; it came with the charger.
July isn't here yet. That's when the start of the 2023.5 production is set to begin.

I don't know why they're not just calling it '23 Job 2 instead. It's not like it's a completely changed car?
Sponsored